shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadians: Paying Duty on BABY items bought in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Hi fellow Canadians
35.gif

Can anyone tell me what the rules are at the border for bringing BABY items back from the US? I''m specifically thinking of a stroller, and of course, essentials like diapers.

Any official links about this; listing what you pay duty on and what you don''t?

THANKS!
9.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
That was good, but HILARIOUS that I''d have to be in the US for 7 days and I still wouldn''t be exempt from duty on a Bugaboo.
11.gif

I didn''t see anything there about diapers...we were thinking of stocking up, but only if there was no duty.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:52:55 AM
Author: mela lu
That was good, but HILARIOUS that I''d have to be in the US for 7 days and I still wouldn''t be exempt from duty on a Bugaboo.
11.gif

I didn''t see anything there about diapers...we were thinking of stocking up, but only if there was no duty.

From what I read there is duty on everything except for those small personal exemption amounts....but I am no expert!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Thats what I''ve turned up too...but I''ve *heard* otherwise. I won''t believe it until I see it in Gov''t print.
2.gif

Thanks Neat!

Looks like I''m buying a Bugaboo and paying an extra 14% tax on it.
11.gif
That''s about $140 extra.
I HATE paying that much tax!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 11:13:35 AM
Author: mela lu
Thats what I''ve turned up too...but I''ve *heard* otherwise. I won''t believe it until I see it in Gov''t print.
2.gif

Thanks Neat!

Looks like I''m buying a Bugaboo and paying an extra 14% tax on it.
11.gif
That''s about $140 extra.
I HATE paying that much tax!
When you import goods from the US there are two additional charges levied: taxes (14%) and import duties (can vary from 5% to 20% or greater depending on the category of goods). The personal amount allowed when you have been in the US for a given period of time exempts you from both types of fees. In addition, some goods, like diamonds, are exempt from import duties, btu you still pay taxes on such exempted goods. But other than those two circumstances, if you imported goods from the US you will be hit with both fees. I think that would make any baby goods too expensive to import, which is the whole point of the duties! The canadian gov''t doesn''t want us spending our money in the US, they want us spending it here! So they equalize with duties.

But even *if* you could buy baby goods in the US without paying import duties or taxes on them, with the exchange rate being so bad, I am not sure you would save too much buying it in the US anyways. You need to add 25% to any US price these days
14.gif
and I think that totally eliminates any substantial savings on most baby goods. Diamonds are still less expensive though
2.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
You make very good point Dreamer. Tis true - especially about le diamonde''s!!

We were just thinking...*if* we were in the ''hood, what are we looking at....

I think we''re now "looking at" staying home. LOL!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Not worth it, IMO
As DD said, with the exchange, taxes, gas $ etc. i doubt there would be much of a savings

I did hit up Target in Buffalo when the dollar was par, but now, nope. Only a * really* good exchange rate and a *really* good sale on something can drag me to that city (sorry to any buffalo dwellers)

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I''ve still never been to Buffalo. I keep telling DH that I want to ''shuffle off to Buffalo'' at least once in my life. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results