shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you recommend a designer?

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Hi there - I'm looking for some recommendations for a designer. I found a setting that I've got my heart set on. I thought I was quite lucky to have found the designer of the setting, given it was a google image result that was generic and not linked. Anyhow, when I contacted the original designer he attempted to dissuade me from that setting and recommended another which is nothing like it.

I've attached a photo and would be so grateful for any recommendations. Price isn't an issue really, but I'm budgeting $2500, if that helps.

Thanks much.

_874.png

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Adding that I already have a center stone, 0.90 SE cut.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Many jewelers should be able to help you with that. They can buy five little mounts (two each for the baguettes and the trillions; one for the Asscher) and solder them onto a ring.

I can't really tell from the picture but it does look like everything there could have been built from standard findings.

Start http://www.stuller.com/browse/findings here and drill down to shanks and settings and you can see what appears to be your ring in pieces.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
IDJ just made my custom in plat. & felt I could never afford Plat after all the money spent on the center. Quality is outstanding and the setting was also "budget friendly". :)

GL ....pretty setting! I was actually (no joke) considering a setting of similar style for my round. Trillian w a step cut and baguettes? Also looked at shields. I was "worried" about sparkle with the step cuts and wanted bling. Loved the contrast with a RB cut tho.

Why was he discouraging u? What was his reason?

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, I'll check out Stuller and IDJ tomorrow. I appreciate your recommendations and would ideally love at least 3 options.

I honestly don't know why he responded the way he did..

"We have received your request for custom jewelry work that was submitted on our web site (removed for discretion)

I don’t think it’s the best choice of style for your Asscher cut. I suggest style “311” instead.

Similar to: (link to setting nothing like what I inquired about)"

Beats me, anyway. I wrote back asking for further elaboration.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha-ha if Google hadn't been able to help, we can all recognize that designer.

A 5 stone with fancy shaped diamond sides like that can get pricy fast. That, plus the fact it takes a sharp eye togetthe right proportions for that. I'd contact Steven kirtch if price really isn't an issue. But it would certainly be more Ethan your alloted budget.

Next would be brilliantly engaged

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out Steven Kirsch (hand-forged/worked w/ LM) and David Klass (budget friendly).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cinnamonstick|1451869827|3970162 said:
IDJ just made my custom in plat. & felt I could never afford Plat after all the money spent on the center. Quality is outstanding and the setting was also "budget friendly". :)

GL ....pretty setting! I was actually (no joke) considering a setting of similar style for my round. Trillian w a step cut and baguettes? Also looked at shields. I was "worried" about sparkle with the step cuts and wanted bling. Loved the contrast with a RB cut tho.

Why was he discouraging u? What was his reason?

His reason is he's Leon mege and he is weird. But also I'm sure becuase of the size of the asscher. Considering how small it is, the side stones will be very small, quite possibly making the bullets at the end of the ring too small for the design.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stuller doesn't sell to the public, but any jeweler can buy supplies from them. The trick is finding someone you trust to do the work for you, and buy the side stones as well.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could also try David Klass. His quality and customer service are outstanding and his prices are very reasonable. David casts his ring (versus the Leon Mege ring as shown above which was handforged). I think I know your inspiration ring and the center stone was quite a heavy carat weight. I think this design would be as beautiful with your own stone although dimensions would be different: something to keep in mind...

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Aenflex|1451870366|3970167 said:
Thanks so much, I'll check out Stuller and IDJ tomorrow. I appreciate your recommendations and would ideally love at least 3 options.

"We have received your request for custom jewelry work that was submitted on our web site (removed for discretion)

I don’t think it’s the best choice of style for your Asscher cut. I suggest style “311” instead.

Hummm..... interesting I think it will look beautiful with an Asscher?.... I know when I was looking at shields (?) articles claimed do not see a lot of size for the money and I think something about the sparkle w steps.... I can't remember ....maybe it was bullet cuts (?). Do not let me worry you. Simple Google on trillian will tell you what u need to know about the good/bad of the cut. I considered shields, bullets, trillions, several shapes to acompany a baguette....Asscher are square. Trillion would bump up nice against a trillion?
So curious WHY he felt as he did.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cinnamonstick|1451871035|3970177 said:
Aenflex|1451870366|3970167 said:

Hummm..... interesting I think it will look beautiful with an Asscher?.... I know when I was looking at shields (?) Google reads said you do not see a lot of size for the money and I think something about the sparkle w steps.... I can't remember ....maybe it was bullet cuts (?). Do not let me worry you. Simple Google on trillian will tell you what u need to know about the good/bad of the cut. I considered shields, bullets, trillians, several shapes to acompany a baguette....Asscher are square. Trillian would bump up nice against a trillian?
So curious WHY he felt as he did.

He's not saying with "an asscher" , that ring is an asscher. He's saying this asscher. IMO he's saying its too small for that designer.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cinnamonstick|1451871444|3970181 said:
Got it! Oops!
I would think he (they) could adjust the ring for whatever size center?

http://www.jewelrynotes.com/pros-and-cons-of-trillion-cut-diamonds/

Quick google said trillions chip easy? Maybe corners just need to ne protrcted. I am not really sure.

Nice setting either way!

the traps would need to be about 5 mm long on the longest end, making the short bit where the bullets meet very small. This will dictate the size of the bullets. I would imagine the design would be compromised with too small of bullets. And he's very particular. I'm sure he doesn't want to do it if the design is compromised

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Well, so much for discretion. As a side note, I'm not here to disparage the designer. I too assumed that my center was too small, and I responded asking that very question. I would have appreciated some honesty from the start, but I digress. I'd be happy wth smaller baguettes rather than bullets, and true trilliants rather than traps, too. Whatever it takes to make it work.

I'm moving permanently to England in less than 3 weeks, so I won't be able to use my jeweler here in the states for a Stuller setting, it seems. I'll look at the others suggested and if anyone knows any designers or reputable jewelers in London, I'll take those recommendations happily as well.

I want that setting. Period. :angel:
And I'm prepared to invest the time and money into getting it.

Thanks everyone, and happy new year!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aenflex|1451872905|3970189 said:
Well, so much for discretion. As a side note, I'm not here to disparage the designer. I too assumed that my center was too small, and I responded asking that very question. I would have appreciated some honesty from the start, but I digress. I'd be happy wth smaller baguettes rather than bullets, and true trilliants rather than traps, too. Whatever it takes to make it work.

I'm moving permanently to England in less than 3 weeks, so I won't be able to use my jeweler here in the states for a Stuller setting, it seems. I'll look at the others suggested and if anyone knows any designers or reputable jewelers in London, I'll take those recommendations happily as well.

I want that setting. Period. :angel:
And I'm prepared to invest the time and money into getting it.

Thanks everyone, and happy new year!

Even if it may not look good?

I'm not saying it won't, but you can get yourself in trouble by forcing a stone into a setting it isn't right for. It's an expensive lesson to learn.

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
I do appreciate the warnings and will look into all feasible options presented. I value opinions here, and of course I don't want something that appears disproportionate. At the same time, I believe getting a triangular set of side stones to mount nicely on the sides of my 5.20mm stone is possible. I find I prefer the traps for their flat ends which may still leave room for seamlessly aligned, short, slim baguettes or some such.

My husband uses AutoCAD for work, and we're drafting some possible representations. We are very far from jewelery or craftsman experts, but he does know geometry, so here's to hoping.

It's clear I need to work directly with a designer, preferably in person, so nothing is lost in translation. That's why I posted, so thanks for passing along your thoughts and especially your recommendations.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Aenflex|1451875373|3970204 said:
My husband uses AutoCAD for work, and we're drafting some possible representations. We are very far from jewelery or craftsman experts, but he does know geometry, so here's to hoping.
Oh that will help. I was going to suggest measuring and drawing up...AutoCAD is even better. Of course, a jeweler could help you fine tune or suggest different shaped side stones, if needed. You are just at the start of this journey. It will be figured out! Best of luck!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Aenflex,
Hope the move to the UK goes well. There are masses of jewellers to choose from in London, with Hatton Garden and the surrounding area being the most famous, lots of workshops and shops in a small walkable area, both independent and not.

I can give you a suggestion, I've not used him myself yet but having seen his work I certainly plan to :)
You could try Hatton Garden Bespoke at St Cross Street, Hatton Garden, London. It's a workshop, not a shop, and I believe he does both private clients bespoke items and supplies many high end shops. I have no connection to him, I'm just an admirer of his work as his workmanship looks great ( probably not cheap) and he hand makes everything.
Please be aware 'Hatton Garden' is used by lots of companies in their name or advertising as it's the 'go-to' area for London, if you're not heading for the mega brands on Bond Street etc!
Hatton Garden Bespoke Diamond Jewellery Workshop (breathe again) has a FB page and posts lots of images of completed items and also the stages in the making of items, I love drooling!
Hope this helps a bit, I'm sure others can suggest other reputable places and I'd also love to know more myself... for future projects :appl:

Hope it all works out well for you, the image your working to is gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results