shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you discern low quality melee in a setting?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently reset my diamond. I love love love the setting. The style. The way the stone seems to float. And it’s like a solitaire except that i love The way it stacks. Let me emphasize the stacking. Bc prior to this setting, and I have had many, I have never liked how stacks look on me, especially Solis. I feel it’s important to emphasize this quality bc I am at odds with this setting. Bc the melee is not as bright as I’m used to. And it bugs me. In the sun, no problem. Gorgeous. But not elsewhere. I knew going into this setting that the melee was mediocre. But I really liked the style so i went for it plus, you get what you pay for. It was not expensive so I decided to take a chance.
Now to my question. I’m conflicted Bc I don’t know if the fact that the melee is so mediocre that it is actually working to showcase my stone so that it is the star of the show. Is that possible? That mediocre melee serves just as a single backdrop of sparkle, thereby highlighting the stone? Have any of you noticed that effect On other rings? Or, does mediocre melee just give you the impression that the ring looks cheap? When someone else is wearing it. lol. Thoughts?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, I really don't know how to discern melee quality but all I can say is I think I have nice quality melee in my Simon G setting but in some light conditions they don't look that lively or sparkly - in other lighting conditions they sparkle a lot. I guess cut comes into play with melee too though. Maybe it's just the nature of tiny diamonds? When I think of low quality melee I usually think of the cloudy, "frozen spit" appearance.

It sounds like you do love you new setting a lot! It is really beautiful!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I see a pic? I'm not sure I know which setting you're currently using

that said, If I had an ideal cut diamond like yours (I mean, I do, but I was being hypothetical), it would bother me if the surrounding diamonds were lackluster. I'm a snob about such things though, haha!

I wear a Blue Nile diamond eternity band. It's not WF ACAs like my engagement ring, but it sparkles nicely and I'm very happy with it. I won't be replacing it for that minute sparkle in an ACA band that I might gain, to the tune of $2500+ (I got this one from ebay for $900). So, I don't expect perfection but I do expect sparkle!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unsparkly melee drives me nuts! I bought a beautiful halo setting once, but the melee were like flat gray dots. In most lights they didn't even sparkle or glimmer. I returned it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
yes
Very few people have actually ever seen well cut melee and most wont.
Even the best cut melee there is lighting that it just looks there, or you just see a flash from table glare.
The virtual facets are tiny.
I prefer well cut single cuts for the most part.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ty all. Here are some pics. I too am super picky. But i think these are so
Mediocre that it’s not like they are the frozen spit or lifeless ones. That’s what is confusing me. Lol

Attachments

• D0D512C5-339F-4793-A3DB-E7C5857F2906.jpeg
    D0D512C5-339F-4793-A3DB-E7C5857F2906.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 61

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could also be that the melee is just so tiny?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could also be that the melee is just so tiny?
I wish. Lol. But no. It’s defintely not that. It’s a combo of color, clarity and cut. I can discern the lower color, and I think the clarity might be clouding what ever mediocre cut these are. That said, I have some super gorgeous diamond bands that I hesitate to stack when I’m wearing it in a soli style bc I hate hot super sparkly melee outshines my stone.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
646E2961-174F-4AE5-A917-13EB4217858C.jpeg Ok. Here is as bad as it gets! Am I neurotic? Can you see it?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can notice low quality melee IRL and I think it takes away from the center diamond. I think of them as dead diamonds and lively diamonds are always preferable IMO.

the melee is not as bright as I’m used to. And it bugs me

This says it all @nala.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, you're reminding me that I bought a platinum diamond band a while back, and I am disappointed in the quality of the melee in it and I don't wear the darn thing - they twinkle a little in certain lights but look dead most of the time. In my case I think it's a combo of cut and clarity...the color doesn't seem too bad. Your melee looks better than the band I bought but I see what you mean. Ugh, sorry about this, it does sound like it's taking away from your enjoyment of the setting.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually don't think those look that bad. The ones in my halo were far less twinkly. Plus, the setting is so pretty. I could live with it for such a pretty setting. Your entire set looks great.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about a cleaning with a good jewelry cleaner?
When was the last time you cleaned it?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can notice low quality melee IRL and I think it takes away from the center diamond. I think of them as dead diamonds and lively diamonds are always preferable IMO.

This says it all @nala.
The thing is, what I have learned from
all my resets is that I’m always bugged by something. Lol. Height. Stacking. The diamonds can be to bright and contrast too much with my I colored stone. Shank too wide. And no. Going custom wouldn’t solve any of these issues bc in the event I could dream up the perfect setting, my eyes would soon tire of it. Lol. So I wish it was a simple as my reaction to it. Lol.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, you're reminding me that I bought a platinum diamond band a while back, and I am disappointed in the quality of the melee in it and I don't wear the darn thing - they twinkle a little in certain lights but look dead most of the time. In my case I think it's a combo of cut and clarity...the color doesn't seem too bad. Your melee looks better than the band I bought but I see what you mean. Ugh, sorry about this, it does sound like it's taking away from your enjoyment of the setting.
Ty Junebug. It is taking away but at the same time it is puzzling me. I do have the option of spending double to have it custom made with better stones. But since I’m non commital, I don’t know how long before my eyes tire if this style anyway and on to the next reset. Lol. So this is clearly a case of how to accept it as it is. One concern I guess is that I do wonder if it is obvious to the general public. Lol. Like if I go to a party, will the overall impression my ring leave be —it looks fake or cheap?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually don't think those look that bad. The ones in my halo were far less twinkly. Plus, the setting is so pretty. I could live with it for such a pretty setting. Your entire set looks great.
Thank you! That logic is what compelled me to choose it. And I’m still on the fence! I did wear it to the mall to stack it with maul bands and my ring was not that bad! That was a relief. I’m waiting for my daughter to come home for spring break so that she can wear it and I can observe how perceptible it is when I’m not wearing it. Lol.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, once you notice and recognize badly cut melees, there is no going back. It drives you nuts.
Agree! But I’m great at finding things that drive me nuts. Like super bright diamond bands that outshine my stone merely bc of the nature of the shimmer they create! Yes. I’m that neurotic about my stacking. Like my eyes can’t reconcile that my stone bc it’s bigger, should have a matching shimmer. And this is why I’m still wearing this setting. Sigh.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a cleaning with a good jewelry cleaner?
When was the last time you cleaned it?
No. My jeweler steamed it for me when I shared my concerns. My options are to have it custom made with better stones at twice the price. Trade it for anything in stock and pay resetting fees and the difference—except I don’t like any of the settings in stock. Or wait it out until she brings in new settings which will be a long while. Or find a way to live with it and ignore it.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree! But I’m going st finding things that drive me nuts. Like super bright diamond bands that outshine my stone merely bc of the nature of the shimmer they create! Yes. I’m that neurotic about my stacking. Like my eyes can’t reconcile that my stone bc it’s bigger, should have a matching shimmer. And this is why I’m still wearing this setting. Sigh.
It is important to note that those melees are not angled to provide the best light reflection in many cases. Especially in the photo, the melees on your bands are facing directly at you/camera. However, those melees on the double-row knife edge setting are facing away from you. All those melees are tilted at least 40 degrees. In certain lighting conditions and under certain angles, the melees can shine just fine. I have a similar issue with my wife's wedding band, which is double-row pave knife edge.

So there are two factors here: the quality of melees and LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, after going back and looking at your pics the setting doesn't look cheap or fake - I agree with @Laila619, I don't think the melee look bad - I see sparkle coming from them, and it is a beautiful setting! As I said, they are much better than the ones in that band I bought, grrr.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, after going back and looking at your pics the setting doesn't look cheap or fake - I agree with @Laila619, I don't think the melee look bad - I see sparkle coming from them, and it is a beautiful setting! As I said, they are much better than the ones in that band I bought, grrr.
Oh I’m sorry about your band. If it’s any consolation, we have all been there done that.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember you had a similar conundrum a few settings ago about the quality of the side stones in the three stone setting you tried. Ultimately you changed back to your halo. You’ve said several times that you are a halo girl, perhaps that’s where you’ll land again in the near future. Sometimes satisfaction can be elusive. It’s a pretty setting though.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember you had a similar conundrum a few settings ago about the quality of the side stones in the three stone setting you tried. Ultimately you changed back to your halo. You’ve said several times that you are a halo girl, perhaps that’s where you’ll land again in the near future. Sometimes satisfaction can be allusive. It’s a pretty setting though.
Yes. That setting was different in that the stones were bigger and I wanted them to match my center. I do always go back to my halo and haven’t ruled it out but I love to dabble.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can wear the worst cut melee and no one would notice but a diamond nut because most people dont even know well cut melee exists.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. That setting was different in that the stones were bigger and I wanted them to match my center. I do always go back to my halo and haven’t ruled it out but I love to dabble.
Yeah, it’s always fun to see what you try next! Are you ever concerned so many change of *outfits* may potentially damage your stone? Or weaken the prongs on your beloved halo setting, taking in and out? Maybe it’s a nonissue. I really like this current setting, it’s purrty!

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it’s always fun to see what you try next! Are you ever concerned so many change of *outfits* may potentially damage your stone? Or weaken the prongs on your beloved halo setting, taking in and out? Maybe it’s a nonissue. I really like this current setting, it’s purrty!
No concern. My bench says not to worry. As to my halo, i have at least 2. And I’ve not really rotated them more than once bc I usually end up trading in for a new halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results