shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we talk deer?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm having an issue with them, and I am hoping someone has a viable (and not horribly expensive) solution.

Two years ago, I planted a row of 13 Aborvitae Green Giant evergreens across the back of my back yard. They were about 4 ft. high then. And this was not cheap.

That fall, rutting season came. We have deer in our neighborhood all the time. Apparently one of (or more) the bucks decided my lil trees would be good to rub his antlers on. The trees on both ends got rubbed, which of course broke and bent some delicate branches. However, they pulled through, they just don't look quite as pretty. So I bought 100.00 worth of Deer Gone, touted as the end all of deterrents (and it does work fairly well on plants). Sprayed the heck out of the trees the next season (last year), and one of the trees in the middle got annihilated. It is dead all the way down to about 8 inches from the bottom. Btw, these things really do grow as fast as they say. They are now 8-9 feet tall now.

So, rutting season is fast approaching. I've got to do something, but I don't know what. There are videos on YouTube saying fences made of fishing line work, as it spooks the deer when it feels it but can't really see it. This sounds like a cheap try, until you realize you need over 100 ft. to enclose these trees, and how many rows of fishing line? 4-6? Plus poles. It gets expensive, fishing line is not cheap.

So then we thought if we're spending this much money, what about a plastic fencing you buy by the roll, plus poles, zip ties. Lady at the store thinks they'll knock it down. I'm sure they could, but would they? It's not like they want to eat them (though apparently they can), they just want to rub. Would/could they just decide to go somewhere else?

I just don't want to waste more money, nor spend more than I need. This is something that is just up for about a month, but, it NEEDS to work. Replacing these trees, especially as they get bigger, is not going to be cheap.

Anybody?
gaah.gif

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you put some kind of tree guard on the trees?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo Deer tastes good. Let me tell you, if they know you're looking at them as a food source, they make themselves pretty damn scarce...lol

Outside of that, try chicken wire and some stakes as tree guards. Note, this may not stop them.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo Deer tastes good. Let me tell you, if they know you're looking at them as a food source, they make themselves pretty damn scarce...lol

Outside of that, try chicken wire and some stakes as tree guards. Note, this may not stop them.
So true about looking at them as food.

Just sit outside and eat a venison burger. All of your worries will be over! :lol-2:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I used this when deer were eating my new perennials to the ground:
https://www.plantskydd.com/testimonial-no-deer-here.html

I bought on Amazon. Not sure how it will work for rutting deer.
Definitely a breathe-through-your-mouth product and wear gloves!
Also looks like a murder scene but it did work.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used this when deer were eating my new perennials to the ground:
https://www.plantskydd.com/testimonial-no-deer-here.html

I bought on Amazon. Not sure how it will work for rutting deer.
Definitely a breathe-through-your-mouth product and wear gloves!
Also looks like a murder scene but it did work.
Seems to get mixed reviews. However, I looked it up on amazon and found this in the question section.

Does this deter deer rutting too? I loose more plants to rubbing than browsing...
Answer:
YES! IT DOES! I know what you mean. I have five immature trees, and the last thing I wanted was the deer on them. I always treat my trees. Matter of fact, you use Plantskydd liberally enough, and deer will not enter your garden at all. It also deters voles (if you have 'em where you are). Be sure to read the label before you use it so you have all the facts, e.g. it is photosensitive, so do not apply in full sun. I know the stuff is expensive, but if you garden and have a deer problem like we do here in Ashland, Oregon, it is worth it. It truly does work. A little miracle worker. I use more than I need to . . . but I am worry-free. I buy it by the gallon. There is some savings in doing that. I saved a neighbor's laurel hedge, which had been eaten away. Told him his plants were still viable and to use Plantskydd. He is one happy man now, as his hedge has almost completely filled out. Makes me feel good every time I walk by with my dog. Feel free to ask anymore questions that come up. I have been using it for five years. OMG, I sound like I'm a seller or agent! I'm not. I just love the stuff. Happy Gardening. Valerie

So for the price, and hopeful success it's worth it (cheaper than a tree) to try I think. So if I spray the trees directly they will be red? I wonder if just spraying a border around the line would work....

Thank you so much for posting about this! :appl:

HouseCat, I don't know how a tree guard would work on an evergreen, except for like what Arcadian suggested. And I could try that, but still, that's at least 13 stakes, plus wire, plus a lot of labor and expense. Trying to put it around all at once at least makes it less tedious, but still pricey.

Laughing at the venison! I read an article right after the first rut incident and this guy had a write up on what all he had used. He talked about how when you just see a deer strolling through, you get all misty eyed thinking of Bambi. Then you wake up the next morning and they have eaten all your plants, and all you can see is venison. :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, I was going to suggest the product @Elizabeth35 suggested. I doubt it would help for the problem you are having though. I found this to work if the deer were eating bushes. I would call a local area nursery that specializes in trees or an Arboretum if there is one in your area. I’ve called a nearby Arboretum many times and have received all sorts help, regarding anything to do with trees and shrubs. At the very least they may be able to give you names and numbers of companies that can help you.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Callie, was typing when you posted! I may indeed make some calls, but see my post above.....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elizabeth, do you use already mixed, or mix your own?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm only willing to talk about deer that are peeing on your doormat! :cheeky:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having an issue with them, and I am hoping someone has a viable (and not horribly expensive) solution.

Two years ago, I planted a row of 13 Aborvitae Green Giant evergreens across the back of my back yard. They were about 4 ft. high then. And this was not cheap.

That fall, rutting season came. We have deer in our neighborhood all the time. Apparently one of (or more) the bucks decided my lil trees would be good to rub his antlers on. The trees on both ends got rubbed, which of course broke and bent some delicate branches. However, they pulled through, they just don't look quite as pretty. So I bought 100.00 worth of Deer Gone, touted as the end all of deterrents (and it does work fairly well on plants). Sprayed the heck out of the trees the next season (last year), and one of the trees in the middle got annihilated. It is dead all the way down to about 8 inches from the bottom. Btw, these things really do grow as fast as they say. They are now 8-9 feet tall now.

So, rutting season is fast approaching. I've got to do something, but I don't know what. There are videos on YouTube saying fences made of fishing line work, as it spooks the deer when it feels it but can't really see it. This sounds like a cheap try, until you realize you need over 100 ft. to enclose these trees, and how many rows of fishing line? 4-6? Plus poles. It gets expensive, fishing line is not cheap.

So then we thought if we're spending this much money, what about a plastic fencing you buy by the roll, plus poles, zip ties. Lady at the store thinks they'll knock it down. I'm sure they could, but would they? It's not like they want to eat them (though apparently they can), they just want to rub. Would/could they just decide to go somewhere else?

I just don't want to waste more money, nor spend more than I need. This is something that is just up for about a month, but, it NEEDS to work. Replacing these trees, especially as they get bigger, is not going to be cheap.

Anybody?
gaah.gif

Human hair is supposed to work. You could get some from your hair salon.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah-we tried human hair, dog hair and cat hair with no effect. Also human urine (don’t ask) and dog urine.
I think I mixed it myself-was several years ago. We still have deer but now they stay away from beds by the house.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've read that urine may actually attract deer because they lick it for its salt content.

Deer ate our roses this year, so next year I will be trying Plantskydd.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if you could pee on your trees to scare them away.

I have a weird redneck husband. He tells me about all sorts of things (I don’t wanna know about!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if you could pee on your trees to scare them away.

I have a weird redneck husband. He tells me about all sorts of things (I don’t wanna know about!)
I read somewhere on line that some guys did this to their property line to keep coyotes away. Maybe I should enlist hubby..... Guys love peeing outside for some reason. :lol:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fencing is the only sure way to keep the deer off the plants. This time of year they come and eat the leaves of my hibiscus plants. I actually find bears to be more destructive than deer. They ripped down our best peach tree.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fencing is the only sure way to keep the deer off the plants. This time of year they come and eat the leaves of my hibiscus plants. I actually find bears to be more destructive than deer. They ripped down our best peach tree.
Bummer. :(2

I'm just afraid the deer would mow the fencing down, if they get determined enough. I'm going to try the stuff Elizabeth recommended, it certainly works for some. If it doesn't, I'll have to invest in a fence of some type for next year.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reading the reviews, interesting.....

"This product really does work! It is a bit on the spendy side, but cheapest through Amazon, as I have priced it at all of the other "big box" stores. The deer nearly ruined an arbor vitae hedge I had put in the fall before last, but this year they stay in my neighbors' yards where I can enjoy them from afar. Good investment."

This is what I have. Here's hoping. :appl:

ETA I think anything is hit and miss with deer. I've heard countless times, what works for one won't with another. They will eat one persons hosta and not another. Like I said, they've been known to eat the trees I'm trying to save, but thankfully they're not munching on mine.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This topic always fascinates me! Lots of complaints about deer in my area (in town) as well, and still I don't know anyone who has come up with the perfect solution.

My parents used to leave out a salt block down the hill in the back of their house for the deer. They haven't done so for years, yet 14-15 deer at a time will still visit the spot on which the salt block used to reside. They have 60 acres, about half wooded, and the house sits on a 7 acre lot (ALL of which my father insists on mowing...I blame zero-turn mowers for making it easy for an elderly person to extend their mowing obsession into their 70s) so young trees or ornamentals have never been their concern. Their concern with trees is tornados and disease. They love the deer and used to do whatever they could to attract them. I suppose you could call their property a deer sanctuary.

Why do you need the trees there, Ellen? Windbreak? Privacy? My thought is that instead of trying to defeat animals' natural instincts (which is always expensive) you might look into going a different route to achieve the goal for which the trees were intended.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in Australia we have a saying, it's nothing a good electric fence won't fix. Get one that can throw a deer backwards a few feet most animals learn quickly, it won't kill them but it should do the trick.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This topic always fascinates me! Lots of complaints about deer in my area (in town) as well, and still I don't know anyone who has come up with the perfect solution.

My parents used to leave out a salt block down the hill in the back of their house for the deer. They haven't done so for years, yet 14-15 deer at a time will still visit the spot on which the salt block used to reside. They have 60 acres, about half wooded, and the house sits on a 7 acre lot (ALL of which my father insists on mowing...I blame zero-turn mowers for making it easy for an elderly person to extend their mowing obsession into their 70s) so young trees or ornamentals have never been their concern. Their concern with trees is tornados and disease. They love the deer and used to do whatever they could to attract them. I suppose you could call their property a deer sanctuary.

Why do you need the trees there, Ellen? Windbreak? Privacy? My thought is that instead of trying to defeat animals' natural instincts (which is always expensive) you might look into going a different route to achieve the goal for which the trees were intended.

:lol: God bless him!

This is so funny you asked about why I planted the trees. I started to tell why I planted these blasted trees in the first place, and then I thought, no one cares, leave it out. :bigsmile:

So, the reason I planted them is for privacy. The neighbor behind me is super, and I mean super nosy. Worst part is, his lot is way higher than mine where the house sits, then it slopes down to level out with mine. So, city regulations only allow a 6 ft. fence around your yard. That would give me zero privacy when he's looking out his windows, only helps if he is out in his yard. So that is why I picked this particular evergreen, they can grow 30-40 ft. high, which WILL keep prying eyes out. :dance: IF I can just get them grown.
pound.gif

arkieb1, I actually thought of an electric fence, but out of respect for animal lovers on here I wasn't going to mention it.... lol But thanks. ;))

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I don’t plant a garden because I have to many deer in my yard. My thoughts? They are deer, doing deer things. They probably lived in your yard long before you lived in your yard. Don’t try to control them too much or you’ll go mad. I wouldn’t suggest fishing line because it causes havoc on wildlife. Maybe a chicken wire fence or something if you really want to give it a go.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you are having this issue @Ellen and I do not have anything to offer in terms of suggestions. Just that I agree with @sonnyjane.

And for your enjoyment here are some deer we have encountered along our rides. They belong here and have been here much longer than any of us.

deerinsandyhook.jpg.png

doeadeer.jpeg.png

I have been too upset to talk about tis till now. Just the other week I had to stop traffic on a busy 4 lane road in Deal NJ because a baby deer got separated from another deer who crossed before he/she did and now he/she was attempting to cross this very busy road. I almost had a heart attack because the cars speed down that road despite the Deal police presence being strong. Anyway I got off the bike and went into the middle of the 4 lane road and I put out both arms while coaxing the baby deer across the 4 lanes to his mate. Unbelievably I think the deer understood I was trying to help him across as he looked at me and all the cars that now stopped as I was holding my arms out and he looked at me again met my eyes and then crossed to his mate. What a huge relief. But I did feel sick for a while knowing it is probably just a matter of time till one of them gets killed again on that road. We have encountered dead deer along that busy road more than once. Makes me so angry because there are no deer crossing signs there and it isn't my town so nothing I can do that will make a difference. If I was politically connected and lived in that town I would get signs up saying careful deer crossing etc. But I know the people in that town don't want "ugly" signs "littering" their roads. That is how they think. Grrrrrrr makes me so angry!:nono:

Sorry for the threadjack. Off my soapbox now.
1237393zp18x6fdqm.gif

I hope you find a way to resolve this problem that is good for both you and the deer.

fairy%20dust.gif

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, thank you for doing this. And I'm not surprised that you did!
It reminds me of a trip to Kauai several years ago. As any visitor to Kauai knows, there are LOTS of chickens roaming the island.
We saw a small girl, maybe 7 years old, conducting traffic around a mother hen and her chicks trying to cross a secondary road.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up in a rural area electric fences are good for keeping horses, alpacas, goats and so on in and keeping kangaroos out, wild dogs out, wild pigs out, they work on all types of animals. I've seen my husband touch one and get thrown back a few metres, I've touched them before when I was younger you can get different strengths. They don't kill humans unless you have heart conditions or pacemakers, so I see them as cheap effective options to keep wild life out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Oh my, your story reminds me of the time a couple of years ago that we were on a very busy 4 lane road and a mother duck was crossing with a line of babies! I stopped, too, and put on my flashing lights and my daughter and I stood in the road until we could get them across....there was actually a pond there. Talk about a heart attack! I can relate!

We have deer around here, too. I always drive cautiously. A baby ran across the road right in front of my car just a couple of weeks ago. Even being careful, you can't always stop in time. We actually hit one that came out of nowhere on a busy interstate years ago returning from a vacation. It was a miracle we weren't killed, and I actually think we would have if the car had had airbags at that time, because my husband likely would have lost control of the car. The deer didn't make it, and I doubt he had any pain, either.

So I talked deer, Ellen, but totally off topic from your question! Good luck with preventative measures!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Oh my, your story reminds me of the time a couple of years ago that we were on a very busy 4 lane road and a mother duck was crossing with a line of babies! I stopped, too, and put on my flashing lights and my daughter and I stood in the road until we could get them across....there was actually a pond there. Talk about a heart attack! I can relate!

We have deer around here, too. I always drive cautiously. A baby ran across the road right in front of my car just a couple of weeks ago. Even being careful, you can't always stop in time. We actually hit one that came out of nowhere on a busy interstate years ago returning from a vacation. It was a miracle we weren't killed, and I actually think we would have if the car had had airbags at that time, because my husband likely would have lost control of the car. The deer didn't make it, and I doubt he had any pain, either.

So I talked deer, Ellen, but totally off topic from your question! Good luck with preventative measures!

Oh yes for sure 100% agree. Remember that Gilmore Girls episode? LOLOL

:lol:

Having said that, I am talking about what is preventable...that is, drivers on this road that I wrote about above often speed and are careless. That is what upsets me greatly and that is why I think deer crossing caution signs could only help. Obviously you and I and most of the people reading here are careful attentive drivers who don't (generally) speed without care to who is crossing the road.

And thanks for helping the animals cross the road @diamondseeker2006. I have lost count how many times I have gotten off the bicycle to help the duck and geese cross in Ocean Grove. Another area where there is so much wildlife. Love the geese and ducks but they do not practice look before you cross the road.::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results