shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we talk cheesecakes?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love, love, love cheesecake...cracks and all!:cheeky:

Its the cake I get for my birthday every year. Have no idea how to make it crackless...like I said, dont even care because its just so yummy!
Do you get the same flavor every year, and if so what? Or do you mix it up?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Question for anyone reading. If I get the cake to come out smooth, would you put an outer edge of whipped cream rosettes or leave it plain?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I thought this video might be of some help to some of you. He not only tells how to tell when it's done and which then prevents cracks, he also cooked his at 160 degrees, which is way lower than mine, at 275..... And it's in the oven right now.
tapping.gif

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a chocolate cheesecake recipe that I have used for many years. I love everything about it, except, no matter what I've tried, the top surface ends up looking like the surface of the moon.
emotion-18.gif
lol I have tamped the cake down gently before putting it in the oven, I have run my spatula through the batter trying to break up all the air bubbles, all to no avail.

Can anyone tell me how to get a nice smooth top? I am taking one somewhere Sunday for a special event and I really want it to look nice.
sniffly%20sad.gif

TIA!

Once I started baking to temperature with a thermopen, instead of timing or 'the jiggle method' I've never had problems with cracking again.
I've never had one come out with a moonscape top - but if I did, I'd smooth it with a hot bench scraper or something.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S.
I whip the bejeezus out of the cream cheese and sugar with no issues. It's once the eggs get in that it's a problem. I incorporate them in by hand.
I hate seeing white lumps in flavored cheesecakes.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, it's done. Still has air bubbles on top, that will most likely pop and form the tiny craters. I did the whole thing by hand. Tamped the bowl down with the batter in it, cut the spatula through the batter, tamped the pan down once the batter was in it, cut through as many bubbles on top after that. I give. It's either gonna have bubbles and I am over it, or I'll just quit making it.
hmmm.gif

Rfisher, I had never heard of the thermopen so I looked it up. Not sure how that would help? I've never seen a cheesecake recipe say what temp it should be at, plus I don't want to poke the cheesecake.... And if I ran a hot anything over the top of this, it would totally mess it up, but thank you! (and yes, I hate the white lumps too!)

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Question for anyone reading. If I get the cake to come out smooth, would you put an outer edge of whipped cream rosettes or leave it plain?

I know it’s already done, but I was going to reply whipped cream either way. I love whipped cream with cheesecake & the contrast of the white cream with the chocolate cheesecake. Especially if you do the drizzle of milk or dark chocolate, too

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know it’s already done, but I was going to reply whipped cream either way. I love whipped cream with cheesecake & the contrast of the white cream with the chocolate cheesecake. Especially if you do the drizzle of milk or dark chocolate, too
Well yes, in light of how it turned out, I will do the whipped cream for sure. Still undecided as to the drizzle, as this cake is very rich. But thanks for chiming in! :))

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love making cheesecakes now that I eat keto. I never ate them before because of the high calorie content. I make them regularly now although I still don’t eat a lot of pieces. I have had some that cracked and some that didn’t, but I guess I didn’t really worr y about it and no one has complained. I am interested to hear how it came out Ellen!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Luv. Well, aside from coming out with the dreaded air bubbles, it was fine. I drizzled chocolate over it, and I ended up doing the criss cross pattern so that it covered better. It actually looked really pretty. So pretty in fact, that then I didn't want to do the whipped cream border. So I just took the whipped cream with me and left it so people could add if they wanted.

I got my mom a piece and the lady sitting next to her went on about how this was such a great cheesecake, the best she had ever tasted in her life (she really said that!). She had no idea I made it, so I took that as a real compliment! ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Luv. Well, aside from coming out with the dreaded air bubbles, it was fine. I drizzled chocolate over it, and I ended up doing the criss cross pattern so that it covered better. It actually looked really pretty. So pretty in fact, that then I didn't want to do the whipped cream border. So I just took the whipped cream with me and left it so people could add if they wanted.

I got my mom a piece and the lady sitting next to her went on about how this was such a great cheesecake, the best she had ever tasted in her life (she really said that!). She had no idea I made it, so I took that as a real compliment! ::)

Success!:appl:Nice work @Ellen and glad it turned out to be so delicious. I never had a doubt!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about the bubbles but glad that it got compliments! BTW Yes on the use of coffee in chocolate!:appl: It does so much to add additional depth (unless you're doing milk chocolate, I don't recommend it there)

I do a flourless chocolate cake with coffee thats a couple days old. (fresh coffee works fine with it if thats all you can get)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Success!:appl:Nice work @Ellen and glad it turned out to be so delicious. I never had a doubt!
Thank you mam! And please tell Greg I sprayed the side ring with coconut oil and it pulled away beautifully. :appl: I can't believe that in cooking cheesecakes and looking at recipes for at least 30 years, I never once read to spray the side pan. Strange.... SO glad I have learned this.
locomotive.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about the bubbles but glad that it got compliments! BTW Yes on the use of coffee in chocolate!:appl: It does so much to add additional depth (unless you're doing milk chocolate, I don't recommend it there)

I do a flourless chocolate cake with coffee thats a couple days old. (fresh coffee works fine with it if thats all you can get)
Thank you, and thanks for the tips!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results