shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we talk breast pumps?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to register for one and I''m a moron and can''t process any information about them right now. Any suggestions?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 1:19:10 PM
Author:Hudson_Hawk
I want to register for one and I''m a moron and can''t process any information about them right now. Any suggestions?
medela always seem to be popular.

If you do get it, don''t open it so you can return it if needed. I liked renting one from the hospital at first, with the thought that I would buy if all panned out. The hospital ones are pretty industrial.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I can gather, the important things are:
hands free option (which makes me giggle, "look ma, no hands!")
plug in AND battery operated options
easy and quick cleaning

There are just soooo many options out there! I did hear that the Medela ones are great, but I''m hoping for some mommy testimonials.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
If you are pumping at work, then I would go for a double electric pump. The hands free options are great but there are other ways to rig the pump with your bra to make it hands free and you save the extra $$.

I used the Ameda Elite for the first few weeks. I rented from the hospital. The hospital grade pumps are awesome. They're very efficient in draining the breast and getting the breast to let down.

I also used the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. Also a great pump. Its very compact so fits anywhere with you. You can also use other bottles besides the medela ones (I used the ameda bottles). Also, the Medela has a let down feature that I used to either get multiple let downs (if I had enough time to pump) OR to pump quickly.

The only 'con' to the Medela is that the tubing is connected to the shield so it is possible for milk to get transferred to the tubing and you do get condensation sometimes. You have to keep an eye out for it so that it doesn't get mold (if you are using it daily, the condensation does happen but the mold shouldn't).

There are other pumps where the milk has no contact with the tubing. I don't know the names off the top of my head. I think Mara has one of these pumps.

ETA: Ameda Purely Yours. That's the one I was thinking about.

Also, I would bookmark kellymom as they have a wealth of information.

Here are some links they compiled to help working bfing moms figure out pumping.

Mahogany Jewel

Rough_Rock
I used the Medela pump in style for nearly a year. It was a great pump and I liked the let down function. I used a pumping band with it so I could do other things while I pumped.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is this "let down function"? It sounds like it''s either really scary or a good time. hahaha I kid...

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I hope to be able to rent the Medela hospital pump for the first month just to get my supply up and get my breasts producing for the pump efficiently. If all goes well then I will look into buying one, since I will go back to work after 12 weeks I would like to start building up my supply as soon as possible.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 2:14:50 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
What is this ''let down function''? It sounds like it''s either really scary or a good time. hahaha I kid...
lol!

Actually, after my breasts became numb to all things bfing the let down did feel good
3.gif

It''s the process of squeezing the milk down the milk ducts towards the nipple. Basically, the release of the milk. The baby is the absolute best at getting your breasts to let down, which is why when you are pumping thinking about your baby, having a picture, or seeing a video makes it let down faster. If you have a poor quality pump that isn''t efficient at getting the breast to let down quickly, you can be pumping for several minutes with nothing to show for it.

The Medela has a let down function that does short and fast sucking motions (just like a baby would) for about 2 minutes and then it switches to slower motions (depending on how you set it) once the milk is released. It''s nice because you can press the button once your milk starts coming out or press it twice if your breasts haven''t let down.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yup i have the ameda purely yours.

my LC told me that ameda and medela are owned by the same parent companies.

she said the purely yours is like the medela pump in style ...basically same thing but cheaper, almost 1/2 price.

i decided against hands free because the consensus seemed to be that it was less powerful than the plugged versions and i needed the more power, my bb's don't love a passive pull.

there are bras to make the regular pumps hands free. but i have learned how to put the things on the bb's and still be able to type on my laptop etc. so hands free would only be good if the baby was crying and i had to go soothe or something... which doesn't happen very often.

the purely yours was like $119 on diapers.com and 10% off so it was basically like $100 whereas the PIS was $200+.

i've been pumping for 3.5 months now and it works great, you just have to replace some of the little parts every month or so. oh and it IS a closed pump system which is more sanitary (and better for infections like mastitis etc) and i could sell or give the pump away afterwards and it would be totally sanitary. i think this is the only pump that is like that. medelas are are not closed systems.

eta...let down on the ameda, i just put it on one level til i feel it then i change it. and letdown for me is like pins and needles in the nipple, soooo not fun. i don't feel it when the baby is on the breast though, just with the pump.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a Medela w/both kids, borrowed from my bff. Did get condensation in the tubes, so what I would do is after I was done, I let it run while I was getting situated, rinsing out the shields and such, and never had a problem. It wasn''t hands free, but it was double.

Let down for me was tingly. When I first got pg w/London, my chest would tingle (even before I knew I was pg) if I thought about or saw babies. When I had her and started nursing, it was the same feeling. That''s how I knew I was pg w/Trapper too. It didn''t hurt exactly-more like, when there''s a lot of pressure and it''s released, the ahhhhhh feeling. A good pain? Stings but feels good at the same time.

What hurt for me was if I was due to nurse or pump, and before I could get to it, hear a baby cry, or see a baby and feel all lovey-mushy. I''d let down and ohhhh boy if you don''t have release right away it is not fun.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
HH - I''ve been researching and have pretty much decided to go with the ameda purely yours based on reviews here and IRL. I like the fact that it''s a closed system. I also like that it doesn''t have to come with a bag and that I can provide my own. I also like that it can plug-in or run on batteries (but I think the medela is the same). the only thing that I''m struggling with is the decision to rent from the hospital before buying or just taking the plunge and purchasing my own. I intend to go back to work, so pumping will be a necessity IF I can BF. The only unknown is IF I will have success BFing . . .

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I ask a possibly TMI question? How do you know if you have inverted nipples? My ins will cover a pump in this instance. Mine have always been kinda funky at the ends but no one has ever told me they were inverted or abnormal. It''s not really the kind of thing I want to google while at the office either...

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 3:43:14 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Can I ask a possibly TMI question? How do you know if you have inverted nipples? My ins will cover a pump in this instance. Mine have always been kinda funky at the ends but no one has ever told me they were inverted or abnormal. It''s not really the kind of thing I want to google while at the office either...
HH: for when you are not in the office
3.gif

http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/html/flat_inverted.shtml

Another tip I like to give is to take a breastfeeding course. Some of the info, ok probably most, you can read from books but the good thing about going to the classes is that 9 out of 10 times the LCs giving the course are also the ones that make the rounds while you are in the hospital. Getting to know them ahead of time really helps while you are in the hospital. If you decide during the class that you really like them, then you appreciate their help a lot more. If you decide you don''t like them, then you have time to find other LCs that can visit you at home or you can visit them in their office after you leave the hospital.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu i rented from hospital for 2 weeks until i knew for sure bb''s were working and then i bought the purely yours from diapers.com. they do next day ship for free basically. then when i had the pump i used it for a few days to make sure it was all good and then returned the hospital pump since you don''t want to be without pump at all IF you use it right away (and since J was a lazy eater and we had him on the shield for a while i pumped from day one basically). so i think we had hospital one for 3 weeks. and it was like $14 a week. so it wasn''t CHEAP considering the PY was like $100 but i wanted to make sure mentally it was all working out before i bought anything.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks mara. I know that renting isn''t the cheapest and it''s more cost effective over a longer period of time, but I may wind up taking the same route and just confirming that the girls are good to go
3.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
HH- True inverted nipples are unusual. Basically, if they do not become pointed with stimulation, (cold, touch, etc) they may be inverted. If they are generally flattish, but at times peep out...a baby or a pump will bring them to *ahem* attention.

On the other hand---getting insurance to pay for it? I wouldn''t mind the white lie....

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think mine are considered flat. Funny, I had the definitions reversed in my mind. They respond to stimulation but tuck inside when the pinch test is done. Huh, good to know.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have the Medela Pump in Style (from 2006) that I used back then & I''m using now with my 2nd baby. It''s a great pump & I recommend it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results