shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we talk--about appliances that is.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am wondering what folks have in their kitchen/laundry rooms these days.....I went out appliance shopping today.

My saga starts with the excitement of purchasing a fabulous stainless steel Miele dishwasher today, only to get home and have my dreams crushed by the independent Miele technician (whom I spoke to post facto) who told me installation of the same in my alloted space, was not possible. B/C the hosing configurations (drain hose size) of the Europeans D/W''s are different than our North American types, I cannot have either a Bosch or Miele (our basement is finished and cannot access the present drain hose to change) and will have to go with another NA brand. I am considering a stainless Kitchen Aid model as an alternative. BOOHOO I was dreaming of my Miele!!! Hope there is no problem with the stainless steel electric Bosch convection oven I just bought.......

However, I am unsure of what fridge to get--I like the french door/lower freezer LG model. And also like the LG European styling, enegry efficient, front loading washer and dryer.

Any opinions on the KitchenAid D/W''s? LG fridges and washers and dryers? I have read some opinions/reviews online, but am interested on what this community might suggest....

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a Kitchen Aid D/W and it''s great. We had the same problem when we needed a new washing machine all the new one''s are so much wider than the one we have. We had to plunk down $400.00 bucks to fix ours as all the new one''s would not fit, so annoying!!!
29.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we are primarily an LG appliance household. when we moved into our new [to us] home last year, i left behind all my appliances and opted to get all new. good decision!

refrigerator is LG side-by-side. it was delivered, plugged in and never got cold. LG customer service was terrific and made arrangements for another new one to be delivered.

washer and dryer are LG, both front load. i LOVE my new washer! large capacity, stainless steel drum, delay wash function...i could go on and on.

6-burner gas stove is a Peerless-Premier. never heard of it?! neither had i. but i wanted something that everyone said did not exist: a stove AND oven that can be lit when the power is out. we live rather far out in the santa cruz mountains here in california and trees go down with frequency...which means power goes out on a rather regular basis. now here''s the kicker: stove was delivered march of 2004. i didn''t use the oven until december 4 when i discovered the interior oven wall had been damaged and would not support the racks with a 3 pound chicken to be roasted. called customer service and they sent some larger racks. still not able to use the oven as these racks while slightly bigger did not compensate for the damaged interior side wall. customer service made arrangements for me to receive an entire brand new stove which arrived the very end of february of this year. these people were great. and i like this stove lots. burners can be adjusted manually to get the real simmer i want [customer service told me how to do this] and the oven works like a charm.

refrigerator and stove are stainless. washer and dryer are white.

my next purchase will be to replace the existing dishwasher and i''m going to be checking out miele. our plumbing will probably allow me to go with the miele.

and while i''m on appliances, miele was my new vacuum purchase last year.

yes, 2004 saw me spending lots of $$$ money on new appliances! now that i think about it, i could have had a more than decent diamond for that amount of $$$! but i love my new appliances and appreciate what they do for me every day.

peace, movie zombie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

MZ I can totally relate to the having good quality appliance comment you made. And that they look great is no small thing either
2.gif

Well, went back to exchange the Miele DW and got a top of the line Bosch instead. Apparently the hosing is not created the same on all European models, and this one will be OK with our present configuration--spoke to the very helpful technicain and he will install it on Wed. Keep my fingers crossed.

Have you seen the small TV''s in the LG fridge---my son thought that is what we really needed......ya sure I said........

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, saw the TV LG refrigerator...as well as the internet hookup one. when i''m in the kitchen i just don''t need the extra distraction. besides, we have a very very very open floor plan and i can see the 32" screen in the family room from the kitchen. btw, we only use the TV for videos/dvd''s. i refuse to pay for cable and cable is the only way one can get TV where i live.

more re my LG refrigerator: not only does it look good now but if i decide to change ''decor'', the panels are replaceable and can be customised. and this baby keeps things cold!

will await a report on the bosch. is this one of the what i''m going to call ''split'' dishwashers that you can use to do just little loads or big loads? i find this a very interesting concept.

yes, nice looking and performing household appliances certainly make me more inclined to do housework. i actually vacuum every day now that i have a great vacuum!!!

same old story: its not just the right tool but a quality tool for the job that makes everything so much easier. two years ago i upgraded cookware [calphalon, all-clad, and le creuset] and can now say i actually enjoy cooking.

peace, movie zombie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I laughed out loud when my son tried his best arguments for the TV in the fridge--gotta give the kid credit......

I am swaying toward the LG sans the boob tube--my space can accomodate a wider model and there was one, french door style, less depth but greater width that was of interest....but not sure quite yet.

It seems that folks who have Bosch either love or hate them. They don''t have the built in water softner (which would be a dream for us in hard water country) like the Miele''s and are slghtly louder than the Mieles (46 DBL''s for the Miele which is the quietest on the market, and 54 DBL''s for the Bosch) and the heating element is exposed unlike the built in/hidden for the Miele; but they otherwise share the same features--split loads, etc, etc. and are generally "rated" highly in consumer reports. (one naturally has to be careful with those kind of things tho.....). Anyway, I am looking forward to my new stuff; and since I like to cook "well" my new Bosch convection range will be a dream.

cheers--Sharon

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased the Kenmore HE3t front load washer and dryer and love them! I also purchased the pedestals that go underneath. I am very happy to have a front load washer vs top load style, can wash many more towels, jeans, etc. They are worth the extra $.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my new LG washer and dryer are both front load. i had used front load washers when in GB on vacation and really liked them. now i''ve got one and i really cannot tell you how much happier i am with it. holds more, is easier on clothes, and because i''m short is easier to load.

peace, movie zombie

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Wow I''m so out of it I had to "google" LG appliances.
I''ve never heard of them before. Duh!

We researched appliances back in 2000-01 when we were buying a home. I never ran across LG.

I''m glad the bosch worked out for you Sharon. That''s a sweet look.

I have a stainless GE profile side by side refrig. It is counter depth so it looks "built in". Plus I didn''t want an ice maker on the door so it is a very clean look.

refrid11.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

SO--don''t feel out of it--I hadn''t heard of LG until fairly recently myself--they being "big" in European and Asian markets and settling now into NA--in fact their DW is brand new to us and therefore one reason I didn''t consider it.

BTW, my sister just got all GE Profile appliances for her new house (I mean mansion!!) and she is looking forward to them--I agree the lines are lovely and elegant and when I get a new fridge it won''t have a TV or water outlet on the outside either (as I like siimplicity).

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well, there are no facets and nothing shiney to speak of--but I love my new appliances and so far work very well! Can only hear a trickle of water in the DW and it looks fab! Fridge next...I am well satisfied!!!!

cheers--Sharon

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
How about some pictures? I love appliances. (isn''t that sad)
9.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Nan:

Thanks for asking! Not very close, but given my island is directly in front of my range and DW, I could not get the whole appliance in my short from where I would have needed to stand....

I like the clean lines and simplicity..I know the dials in the front of the range my not suit for younger children, but not a problem now in my household....

Bosch1.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, just a different angle. BTW, what do you use to clean your stainless steel? It sure marks!!!! The installation fella recommended WD40 on a cloth, and I tired it and it certainly works, but I dunno about for long term use.

Also, what is the consescus about Viking appliances? I like their side by side fridge, but for the life of me I cannot recall where I know this brand from. Maybe while I can growing up??? Anyway, they sure have a "nice" product......

cheers--Sharon

Bosch2.JPG

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
When Rich & I bought our house in December, we had to purchase a refrigerator, washer and dryer.

I''ve been EXTREMELY pleased with our selections!

We almost bought the LG french door/bottom freezer model, but it was on recall at the time. Also, the water dispenser looked cheesy on the outside - cheap plastic looking. We went with the Kenmore Trio (which is made by Amana, who patented the French door freezer.)

Veggies stay fresh in this thing for more than 2 WEEKS! It''s stylish, it''s convenient, and I''ve become a slave to the party-tray drawer.

We bought the Whirlpool Duet washer & dryer.....and we couldn''t be more pleased. I can run 5 loads of laundry (adult jeans, 70" towels, you name it) in a morning...no problem. If you go with this, get the more expensive model with the higher RPM......really gets the water out of the clothes.

Can''t help with the rest; our builder supplied our range/dwasher/disposal/microwave.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 11:28:32 AM
Author: sevens one
Wow I''m so out of it I had to ''google'' LG appliances.
I''ve never heard of them before. Duh!

We researched appliances back in 2000-01 when we were buying a home. I never ran across LG.

I''m glad the bosch worked out for you Sharon. That''s a sweet look.

I have a stainless GE profile side by side refrig. It is counter depth so it looks ''built in''. Plus I didn''t want an ice maker on the door so it is a very clean look.
Nan, I worked on a commercial project that had some residences in them. After exhaustive research (client driven), the GE profile entire line was choosen (my first choice to begin with!). They have served well for quite a few years (yep, the counter depth make a big difference!) and were relatively more economical for the industrial look they provide.

Something to consider with dishwashers & washers, I''ve found that my water dictates brand (including detergent).

Good looking appliances, Canuk! You are doing a total overhaul in your house.
9.gif
Did you ever post pics on your color selection?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2005 4:37
6.gif
1 PM
Author: fire&ice

Nan, I worked on a commercial project that had some residences in them. After exhaustive research (client driven), the GE profile entire line was choosen (my first choice to begin with!). They have served well for quite a few years (yep, the counter depth make a big difference!) and were relatively more economical for the industrial look they provide.

Something to consider with dishwashers & washers, I''ve found that my water dictates brand (including detergent).

9.gif
HI:

Thanks F&I. My pics stunk, so they did not make it onto the thread.

I think I''ll got an look at the GE Profile and see what models they have. One place in town in having a "fridge frenzy" this weekend, so I may head down there tomorrow and check it out.

No kidding with the overhaul--new windows, paint, appliances, pictures, lawn furniture/BBQ, bedroom furniture/mattress, 26 in. LCD TV for upstairs and a new LCD monitor for PC--have I missed anything
6.gif
!
9.gif
...stop me anytime.....and I''ve heard thru the grapevine we need a a "big" Plasma screen for the basement....

cheers--Sharon

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2005 5:47:10 PM
Author: canuk-gal

6.gif
1 PM
Author: fire&ice

Something to consider with dishwashers & washers, I've found that my water dictates brand (including detergent).

9.gif
HI:

Thanks F&I. My pics stunk, so they did not make it onto the thread.

I think I'll got an look at the GE Profile and see what models they have. One place in town in having a 'fridge frenzy' this weekend, so I may head down there tomorrow and check it out.

No kidding with the overhaul--new windows, paint, appliances, pictures, lawn furniture/BBQ, bedroom furniture/mattress, 26 in. LCD TV for upstairs and a new LCD monitor for PC--have I missed anything
6.gif
!
9.gif
...stop me anytime.....and I've heard thru the grapevine we need a a 'big' Plasma screen for the basement....

cheers--Sharon
Did you happen to win the lottery?
28.gif
9.gif

Yeah, the GE Profile line is certainly worth considering. Do not consider the glass cooktop though. They crack fairly easily.

Edited to add: Seriously consider the counter depth fridge. As Nan said, they do give the appearance of a built in.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have a lot of Kitchenaid appliances -- cooktop, oven, dishwasher, fridge, and am really happy with them. I've never had anything break, whereas I have had trouble with some of my GE Profile appliances. I have a GE Profile fridge that is just fine. It looks like 7/1's except I have the ice/water on the oustide. I just replaced my GE Profile dw (which broke after just a couple of years) for a Kitchaide which is much roomier. I'm really happy with it.

I use Stainless Steel cleaner for my appliances. There are several different brands. You can get it at Home Depot and I think most grocery stores. I haven't heard of using WD40. It seems as if the oil would attract dirt and more fingerprints.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the stuff my "real" house has.
Washer Dryer They are both Maytag front loading.
I will have to ask what brand our dishwashers are, they are just so quiet you cannot even hear them run and they blend seamlessly with the cabinetry in the kitchen, the controls are along the top of the front so they cannot be seen. It is like that are not even there, plus they have these great things for holding large knifes and the insides of sippy cups. We also have the matching subzero refrigerators with the lower down drawer style freezers in the kitchen and in the service hallway.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2005 10:23:43 AM
Author:
Author:
6.gif
1 PM
Author:
HI:
28.gif
9.gif

Edited to add: Seriously consider the counter depth fridge. As Nan said, they do give the appearance of a built in.
HI:

I wish I had won the lotto--would have made the purchase of our retirement property much less painful!!!
2.gif

I did look at the counter depth fridges today, but I believe with that design some capacity gets lost , so I''ve decided on the stianless steel LG 26 cu ft. french door model. I think it is a good "fit" all ''round.

cheers--Sharon

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2005 8
6.gif
3:16 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 5/1/2005 10:23:43 AM
Author:

Author:

6.gif
1 PM
Author:
HI:
28.gif
9.gif

HI:

I wish I had won the lotto--would have made the purchase of our retirement property much less painful!!!
2.gif

I did look at the counter depth fridges today, but I believe with that design some capacity gets lost , so I''ve decided on the stianless steel LG 26 cu ft. french door model. I think it is a good ''fit'' all ''round.

cheers--Sharon
Perhaps in the freezer. But, in all honesty, the whole back of my fridge usually results in some sort of science experiment. I''m better off without the back capacity.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharon,

Just checking in to see if you still love your Bosch dishwasher. I''m looking to upgrade the dishwasher in our summer home from a bottom of the line GE that makes us have to leave the house when it is running, to something mid range. I want good capacity and quietness. Don''t care about lots of cycles and other fancy features, I don''t think.

From my online looking, I think the Kitchenaid (which I have, and love in the primary house) or Bosch might be the best choice. I have to travel a ways to see them in person, so I''d like to figure it out as much as possible before I go look in person.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI LOP:

Yes, I am, thanks for asking. Never would I have believed that a DW could be so quiet and efficient. With the recent flood in our city, there was an water restriction (and I never run my DW unless full), but didn''t feel too guilty when I had to do a load, b/c it uses so little water. Spotless dishes evertime.

We were at a party recently and the hostess had just replaced her 8 year old Asko--continual problems--with a Bosch--the one with the controls on the outside. She was very glad to have the Bosch, so far so good. I like the hidden controls myself and that is the model we got.

We did look at the top of the line KitchenAid, but I think it was 100 bucks more than the Bosch (ours was somewhere around $1500 Can), but the Bosch was quieter by rating. I have not one regret with this DW, and my other choice was the Miele, but installation with my present set-up was impossible.

Now that I am consumed with a forced renovation (basement flood), I have forgotten about the amendment I need to make to the cupboard upstairs to fit in the new 26in LG Fridge, but once I''ve done everything my kitchen will be finished. Stainless steel all around!

Good luck with your choice!

cheers--Sharon

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Sounds as if you have your hands full! GOod luck with the rest of the remodel, and thanks for the info. Mabe I''ll go shopping next week.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results