shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this EGL be wrong???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ginaworld

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking all over town and online for a radiant cut diamond and have found this is a difficult stone to get exactly as I want it. I''m finding I may have to settle for the only diamond that''s come close to my specs so far, but it''s certified by EGL and I''m not sure if that''s a good thing or not. The cert says the stone is an E color, but I''ve looked at A LOT of stones in the past month & I''m really starting to be able to tell what color a stone before the jeweler shows me the cert.

So when I saw this diamond at a local mass jeweler, I was sure that it was darker than an E; is it possible that the EGL could be inaccurate? I don''t profess to be a jeweler, all I can go by is the many, many diamonds I''ve seen so far and wonder. Can anyone give me some direction on this? Thanks!

Oh, also, the specs on it were 74.2% depth, 76% table, and it was an SI2 stone. Thanks again for any help.

Gina

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I have observed the same thing as I search for a princess diamond. My local jeweler had 3 stones brought in, 2 with EGL certs, and one GIA - all were "H" in color, yet the EGL stones were much more yellow than GIA was. After I brought it to my jeweler's attention, he admitted to me that EGL is less stringent on their grading.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here - I'd like to know for sure, too.

Clem

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Are they wrong ?????? Every Lab has a degree of being wrong.
I think some labs are stricture then others. Because of this you find a higher premium
on the labs with this kind of reputation. If you know what you are looking for and
have a gemologist that knows his stuff their are bargains to be found in these other
labs. Also pitfalls so tread carefully. If you are in doubt, and are ordering the
diamond blind, then use GIA or AGS certifications.
Some labs are so far off you wonder who they are working for ?
1.gif

Your eyes will not lie to you.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Yes, e.g.l certs are for the most part a bit more liberal in their grading,one shade or one grade, but it is still within the boundries of g.i.a certs.Furthermore it should reflect on the price of the stone.
As long as you see that the diamond has lots of fire and brilliancy go for it!
just make sure you are not paying too much, check the web for similar stones and compare
read.gif

good luck

Ginaworld

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Iceman. I guess I am in doubt on that EGL "E" color grade, so here I go, trudging back to the drawing board.

I know patience is a virtue, so I'm going to work on that, really I am, but can you provide a little hope on this? Is it possible to find a 2.0-ish carat, D or E rectangular radiant with a very good to good cut in a VS1 to SI1 range that's in my $12,000 budget? Or am I living in Fantasy Land? And if this is possible, is it ONLY possible on the internet? Thanks for helping me out.

G.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Its available for that price , so your not living in a dream world.

But the price would be cut close , so to find one at that price I think the internet will
be your only hope. Have some local jewelers bring some radiants in and get a feel for the
length / width measurements you like. Then order it from the internet.

Just my 2 cents

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
"Can this EGL be wrong?"

Is EGL ever right? Well, we suppose that the answer depends on your perspective... While all laboratories have the potential for error due to the reality of human grading, it seems to us that the EGL is not as consistent or strict in their grading practices as the GIA, AGS and HRD laboratories (HRD is the diamond grading laboratory for the Belgium High Diamond Council) and thus we don't even bother with EGL graded diamonds anymore... Now this is our opinion of EGL "paper" not the diamond you are considering... The bottom line being that if you like the way the diamond appears, then the "paper" is just that and not of any real value in your final decision... Buy the diamond, accept the paper for what it is - have the diamond evaluated by an independent GIA Graduate Gemologist (or equivelent) to ensure that the diamond is of a grade within a reasonable tolerance of the EGL grading to determine that the price you paid for the diamond was within reason and enjoy the diamond
1.gif

Ginaworld

Rough_Rock
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the info on EGL; I find it answers my concern about the diamond I'm looking at very well (along with everyone else's comments). I just looked at another diamond graded as a "D" by GIA and it certainly looked like it to my eye. Of course, it didn't have all the requirements I'm looking for, so I still haven't purchased yet....

At any rate, thank you all for your comments, this forum is certainly a great benefit during this search!

G.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Definitely, be careful of EGL graded diamonds, especially if they're offered at a good price... EGL is notoriously lenient on color grading... Even two or three grades from GIA!!! I'd look for a GIA, AGS (very rare on fancy shapes), HRD or IGI Antwerp report. All these lab are pretty accurate and you should get what you're paying for. Also, be advised that diamond grading is an art and not an exact sceince and, being done by humans, you'll find often a 1 grade difference between two lab, even if the stone is the same. I hope you see my point.
1.gif

andrea

Shiny_Rock
I'm embarassed to admit it, but I thought I was getting a good deal on an EGL USA certed stone.
JUNK JUNK JUNK
angryfire.gif
angryfire.gif
angryfire.gif

They graded it as a J-K, I1 with a $14590 MSRP.
Took it to a jeweler, and the color was more L-M (Which I actually liked. Nice and warm with lots of sparkle), but closer to I2. Still somewhat O.K. because it looked alright to me. But internally it had several feathers, and obviously multiple inclusions, AND it had a very pretty CRACK in it. They wouldn't even value it at $2500.
So my personal opinion is that EGL is crap.
Maybe not so on all EGL certed stones, but the more I here about them, the less faith I have in them.
sad.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds in the warmer tones, like L-N have their place, Todd's mother prefers them to his disgrace
6.gif
All of this really is a matter of personal preference, the key as we see it is to simply get what you pay for and buy what you intend to buy...

One of the other things we don't like about the EGL is their "Tolkowsky Ideal Cut" rating which is actually a "range" which encompasses the entire gammit from the AGS zero ideal cut rating down to the AGS-2 very good proportions rating... The mere concept of "Tolkowsky" misleads the public into thinking they are buying a diamond within very close tolerance to the original specifications set forth for the modern ideal cut diamond by Marcel Tolkowsky in 1919 or thereabouts... The whole thing is disgusting to us...

lgrilla93

Rough_Rock
hi,

oh my. we had a stone sent to egl in los angeles.

the stone had a visible inclusion, so my jeweler tells me.

anyway it came back with a clarity grade of SI1.

my jeweler (god bless him) says that's absurd because SI1 is an eye clean stone and a couple grades up from I1.

They got the color wrong too, says he. they graded it J and it was K, which I understand is also clearly wrong as k color means a little yellow and j is still white.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Liz, you posted multiple posts bashing EGL-LA. There is also someone “Lembeck” who posted the same day with the same content and has the same IP address as you. It means either you are the same person or post from the same computer...

I hope you are a genuine person and just frustrated because your SI1 diamond has visible inclusion. Otherwise, what you did was spamming the forum with inflammatory posts.

Please keep in mind that SI1 grade from any lab (including GIA) doesn’t guarantee eye clean diamond. It depends on many factors such as position of inclusion, diamond size, etc. There are plenty of GIA SI1 diamonds with visible inclusions. See for example this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/if-an-si2-in-not-eye-clean-face-up-is-the-cert-then-considered-false.4502/

You also might be confused by a jeweler who could have a conflict of interest or not competent enough. Until these facts will be established you might want to withhold posibly unfair bashing of somebody else work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results