shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I need a little internet CPR please --

C and I are now looking at October (either 15th or 29th) of THIS YEAR. We''re going to the Planetarium where he proposed tomorrow bc we know they have those dates. If it''s at all acceptable, it''s a done deal. And, as I understand it, they have a lot of stuff onsite so we don''t have to rent chairs and tables and stuff. They also work w/ an outstanding caterer...

My only worry is the dress. I have an appointment next Tuesday. I know how I am, I''m a pretty quick shopper, and they have all the Maggie Sottero dresses I love. Even assuming it takes a week to find a dress (I''m on summer break and this is my only task this summer) is it possible to have a dress done by mid-October. Are there "rush" options available or am I only going to hear "16 weeks minimum, this can''t be done."

And, if that is truly the case, what other options do I have. I want something gorgeous (obviously) and this is going to be semi-formal. I just want to have a contingency plan for the dress.

Other than that, I know that on June 15 (when school is officially over) i have 11 weeks of nothing to do but plan, which is a great luxury. I''m not worried about anything other than the dress timing.

All input/experiences are appreciated!

Thanks!
Jackie

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should still be fine, but I am sure there is a rush option that will cost a percentage more...and it never hurts to ask. You are cutting it a bit tight, but I would see what the attitude is in the store. Again, sometimes you can get a rush if you pay more for it, and it might be worth it for peace of mind! Good luck...

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
They''ll make you pay rush fees.. but you can totally get your dress on time. Good luck finding the dress of your dreams!

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been told that the sottero gowns i''ve been looking at can come reg order about 10-12 wks, so rush shouldn''t be a problem, as long as you dont mind paying extra for it! good luck!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
You might also be able to find a pre-owned gown.
If you know what you want... you might want to check ebay. It worked for a few lucky brides here!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Please open your praybooks to the book of WHEW!

I love you guys!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I would definately check out ebay for your dress!!! good luck

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I''m getting married this September 17, and I ordered my dress on Mother''s Day weekend and was told it will be in in late July/early August, so about 12 weeks and I would not have to place a rush order. So it''s definitely doable (at least for Watters, not sure about Sottero).

If you do need a rush though, check different places if you can -- one place told me a rush would be $20, another $80, and another $40 (all for the same dress)!

And I have to say that having such a tight time frame was great for me because it didn''t give me the option of trynig on a million dresses and driving myself crazy! I basically did it all in one week, too, so you can definitely do it!!

Good luck!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Ellaila, girl, we will have to talk at some point...I am totally in agreement with you about how great it is (ultimately) to do things quickly. I have a feeling you and I have similar timelines for this. Thanks for the pricing update. Good to know. I''m not married to Maggie Sottero...I''m sure the perfect dress (and timeline) will find me!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to David''s Bridal the day after I got engaged and left with my dress
2.gif
So anything is possible!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Jas,

Yep, let''s chat about the fun and not-so-fun of planning a wedding in a short period of time!!

Ours is small (~40 guests), which makes it a lot easier! Ours is at an inn so we don''t need to worry about tables,chairs, linens, caterer, or anything like that -- whew!! We just had to do the florist, photographer, and JP on our own. The less you need to deal with, the better as far as I''m concerned!

My advice is to look for a photographer right away. I don''t know about your budget, but I had to contact a LOT of people till I found some decent options that I could afford and that were free that day! We''re still trying to contact a JP, but hopefully that won''t be too hard to book, and flowers were easy :)

I should be pretty lucky in that I think my dress is going to fit me almost perfectly, so I won''t need too many alterations (i hope i hope i hope), which is why I didn''t stress too much about getting the dress in just a few weeks before the wedding. But I have to say that it''s a bit frustrating not having the dress yet because it''s keeping me from buying shoes (don''t want to buy now and then not be able to return in two months if I don''t like them with the dress) and because I just bought a veil and want to know if I like it with the dress (btw, got the veil for $5 on ebay!!).

All in all though, I think a short engagement is the way to go (for me at least) -- I couldn''t imagine being all wrapped up in this bridal stuff any more than I already am ... I''d go nuts!!

What''s your wedding going to be like?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
a tip that i was given and used is to tell the dress shop that your wedding is sooner than it actually is. For instance, our wedding is in Nov. but we told them October. Don''t know if it came in any quicker, but it gave me peace of mind!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I think you're fine. Even Vera Wang has a rush order process. You're bumping up into the rush order territory. If you're ok with paying like 10% more (or whatever the charge is), you're fine in terms of the dress.

The major things to consider are:

Florist (unless you don't order a lot)
Photographer/Videographer
Dress

If you can get those things booked for your date and are a bit flexible, you're totally fine. Entertainment (like DJ's), party favors, etc can all be done/gotten on short notice. Course, you want to book everything as soon as possible as you'll have more selection that way. Cake places usually don't like to be rushed from what I've seen (they like at least 1 month notice or more). But yeah, the more time you give yourself, the better. Getting your dress as soon as possible is a good idea since you need time for alterations (and may need more time than the salespeople originally quoted you).

(geez, I wonder how many guys were as involved in the wedding as I was)

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Wow -- such great advice, especially from you, Codex! Thank you!

Fortunately, we found a venue today and they have the day we want. They use 1 caterer exclusively, which, fortunately, is an amazing caterer. We''ll have the ceremony and reception in one locale. Our next step is photographer (well it is now...good tip!).

I''m just so relieved to have a place and a date, so I can really start booking (literally and figuratively). That was the major stressor. I look forward to the minor stressors, because ultimately, there will always be a florist and decor people and musicians. But I won''t wait too long.

Thank you all again! I can only repay your kindness by offering advice to future engaged couples!

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
It''s definitely doable.
1.gif
I got engaged in Dec., decided in late Jan. to do the Las Vegas DW. Immediately booked venue and photog. Then booked the hotel, then reception site, then flowers, then pre-wedding dinner site. Ordered the dress (Watters) in mid Feb, and it was in by the early May. Alterations completed around mid May. And now I''m married! I''m a big fan of the short engagement!
36.gif
I agree with ellaila... having less options makes it a lot less complicated.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hehehe, you''re welcome, jas. Just remember to come back here and share your knowledge and experience with new bride/grooms to be. That''s why I''m still on here. I learned so much and got so many great ideas, I like being on here and helping share what I learned to people who were in my shoes.

lulutheleo

Rough_Rock
Hey jas, I think we are in the same boat! I think we got engaged about the same time.. and we are shooting for Oct 28 of this year for our wedding. We have the reception place booked, and have a church on hold... I was worried about my dress too! The other thing the ladies told me when I made appointments this week to go look is I can buy anything off the rack too (or on clearance). So don''t rule out that option either!

You know what I am worried about? A photographer! Everyone around books out like a year in advance... ugh.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I thank you all for your reassurances. I had the weekend of panic attacks -- so many people want to offer advice...some of it helpful, some of it -- not so much with the helpful.

Everytime we tell someone of a venue we''re considering, they have a reason why it''s bad. So, our plan is not to tell anyone until it''s booked!

Future Hubby and I are weeding through advice -- we''ll only take it if it reduces stress. That''s a lot easy said than done.

We were turned down for our first choice (Adler Planetarium) because there is a Bears game that night and apparently, tailgaters have harrassed guests (they tend to stay in the parking lot for hours after the game). The planetarium could not offer us that date because it would be awful for our guests. While I appreciate their consideration, I am now really quite ticked at drunken football fans!

My ring is being resized again (apparently I have goofy fingers), and that''s really bumming me out, but it''ll be ready Friday. So we''re blitzkrieging Chicago on Wednesday and we WILL find a place. Tuesday is dress shopping. Thursday is coma day.

I''ll keep you posted.

I hear you about photographers. That''s the very next thing.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with everything, Jas! Our first choice also fell through so I totally empathize with you on that "back to square one" feeling!

BUT you *will* find a place, I swear! And the right dress will find you
1.gif

Definitely keep us posted. And take lots of deep breaths and maybe have some wine with lunch
2.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Like it or not, I WILL keep everyone posted. We''re now trying to get creative. Unfortunately, Charlie and I are reluctant to go the hotel route for a few reasons. But all will work. It has to.

And there''s always Vegas
2.gif

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Hey I'm all for Vegas!
2.gif
That's crazy about the football fans though... the future lawyer in me senses that they're acting not solely out of consideration for the guests, but that they're also trying to avoid liability...

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, right now I''m all for Vegas, too.

On a different note, my FMIL recommended a very very reasonable wedding planner. Never thought I would do something like that...however, after spending the last week with a phone glued to my ear rather than decision making, we''re going for it. Fortunately, we can afford it (meaning I can afford it. I''m paying for the dress and the wedding planner and the favors and all the gifts and stuff.)

She reassured me and mom that (a) this can be done, (b) this can be done the way we want and (c) this can be done with much less stress than we thought and (d) this can be done for WAY less money than we thought, especially because we''re looking at a Sunday. It seems as though she can pay for herself several times over with what she was talking about. She''s also giving us a deal b/c she''s worked with FMIL a few times.

It sort of feels like cheating...but I''m very comfortable with her and now I can make decisions and have fun with it while she has a phone glued to her ear. Want to look at venues? She''s setting it up, along w/ cake tastings, musician auditions, floral whatnots. Which is awesome because I just want to poke around and look at veils and shoes and stuff.

What''s best is that I''m not at all eliminated from the process. I think of her as our "travel agent" through this journey.

I know I am very very fortunate to be able to do this. And relieved.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Jas, that sounds like a dream come true.
1.gif
If I had to do it over again, I would have figured out a way to have some kind of coordinator. I just felt like I didn''t deserve a coordinator because my wedding was so small, was out of state, and was supposed to be so fun and informal. But yeah, the fact that people make a living doing this stuff is a good indication that it requires a certain level of skill and experience. And you''re just supposed to magically have that knowledge the second the ring is put on your finger. Ridiculous!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
That''s awesome. A wedding planner takes most of the stress away from the planning process. They do all the real dirty work of the wedding process so any stress the bride has is pretty much self inflicted (which you don''t seem susceptible to). Have fun with the planning. Me and my wife prolly wouldn''t have such a negative view towards weddings if we had a planner.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
You''re right about the stress liftin'' -- sheesh, I laughed for the first time in 3 days when my mom told me! Planner''s first step was to tell us that in our venue hopping (scheduled for tomorrow!), just look. Let HER negotiate. A lot of these places won''t negotiate with us amateurs, but apparently she knows everyone in Chicago and is very well liked. As she put it, "I love gettin'' the bargains"

SO tomorrow will be (dare I say it?) FUN! Anyone in the Chicago area know the Museum of Contemporary Art? It''s our new first choice!

The big news is that I GOT A DRESS TODAY! It''s absolutely breathtaking and off da rack (and off da hook, as the kids say.) I can''t believe what was available...and this little salon couldn''t have been more fun or gracious. Unfortunately, I don''t remember the designer''s name (he used to work for a major label but went independent and unfortunately, he moved to New Orleans last year and no one has heard from him since Katrina.) It was like the thing was made for me.

She actually said we need to wait to do alterations...it''s too soon. I loved hearing that!

Thanks to you all!

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
Happy to hear you found a dress!!! Do you have a picture?? We''d all LOVE to see one!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like things are moving along now and the coordinator will have your back! Yay!!

Now......where are those DRESS pics!!!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Ack -- for the life of me I cannot remember the designer''s name and therefore, finding pics is next to impossible...I''ll ask Mom (she has the receipt) -- if not, it''ll have to wait until August until I take some pictures at the fitting.

But thank you all for your excitement!

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Dress pics!!! PLEEEEEASE!!!

How awesome that you got a wedding planner! I can''t wait to hear how it all goes with her. Sounds like so much fun and easy and decadent! (but yet, affordable, how perfect is that?!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results