shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone help me with what I would expect to pay for...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

typicalguy

Rough_Rock
...the following diamond? I need help for this very scary engagment thing! Here I go--a reputable dealer (who is giving me a wholesale price) has this loose diamond for a potential solitaire diamond engagement ring:

Shape: Radiant
Measurements: 6.5mm X 6.2mm X 3.4 mm
Depth: 69
Table: 78
Color: F
Clarity: SI1 (not sure exactly where the inclusion is)
Carat: 1.5

As a second part to the question, if I want to spend ~$9K on a loose Radiant diamond that''s not overly rectangular, what quality/measurements should I generally expect to get?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
No matter how good is the price, I'd pass on this one, as the talbe is pretty large at 78%... Also, is it certified??

typicalguy

Rough_Rock
It's supposedly certified, but that's what I thought also.

Am I correct in the following:

depth 58-68 = very good cut
table 57-72 = very good cut

depth 56-74 = good cut
table 54-74 = good cut

Also, is there a big difference btwn. very good and good cuts?

One more thing--what are people's thoughts on Blue NIle?

Alexandry

Rough_Rock
I would definately pass on this diamond.
I have a radiant diamond with 81% table and it usually means
there is less on the sides to give it sparkle.
If it is too shallow, light escapes and you have less sparkle.
Also, a word of caution, sometimes the friend that offers a "wholesale price" is not offering a wholesale price.
You are doing the best thing you can by learning about it
before you see him and I would make sure the diamond is certified so you have its proportions on paper.
Good luck in finding the right one!

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I agree, pass on this. Have you checked out the AGS cut grading chart for radiants @ www.gemappraisers.com? According to this table, I think you should try to keep the depth above 61% and the table you can afford to go smaller but try to stay in the low to mid 60s if you can.

Blue Nile has a large selection but is consistently more expensive than other on-line vendors. Read up on this forum and you'll see this same observation. Have you checked out Mondera and Ashford, they have several radiants in their stock as well. A lot of folks here recommend highly several other on-line vendors, who from what I have seen, have better quality for less. $9k should buy you plenty of ice. Run a search on pricescope to see what some other on-line vendors are offering. You'll probably see good/ideal stones at much cheaper prices. Also, you'll likely see the difference in prices b/n vendors for the same stone.

Good luck.

barry

Shiny_Rock
First, stick with either GIA or AGS reports.
These two labs are the most reliable,
accurate and consistent
with well-deserved excellent reputations.

Fancy cuts are very difficult to evaluate solely on the numbers. There are a number of Table/Crown/Pavillion
% combinations that will result in a diamond with superior light performance and minimal light leakage.
In general,I would recommend Tables in the range of 55-62,
depth in the range of 66-77 and Crown heights of
at least 10%. Keep in mind these are general guidlines
and that it is very likely that you will
see stones with these numbers that show significant light
leakage.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results