shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone answer this for me???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey everyone. I have been doing a ton of reading on here but havent been able to find the answer completely. I have found the setting for my gf''s e-ring and now I am looking at stones for the center. I have decided between a couple of stones but what I don''t get is how two stone who have the same ratings vary so much in price when the size isn''t much different.

Example...

Stone 1: .88
- Rating on the cut adviser of 1.4
Price: $4000

Stone 2: .92
- Rating of 1.5 on the cut adviser
Price: $5990

I know that the bigger the stone the more rare and therefore will carry a Higher price tag, but what I dont get is how two H, VS2 stones that are .04 apart can vary so much in price. The setting is a halo with .55 around the bezel and up the shank.

help?

thanks
joe

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
oh and I have also seen this in the searches when there is like .02 or even .01 difference. what gives? its confusing to me..lol.
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2009 5:16:11 PM
Author:HpiRally
Hey everyone. I have been doing a ton of reading on here but havent been able to find the answer completely. I have found the setting for my gf's e-ring and now I am looking at stones for the center. I have decided between a couple of stones but what I don't get is how two stone who have the same ratings vary so much in price when the size isn't much different.

Example...

Stone 1: .88
- Rating on the cut adviser of 1.4
Price: $4000

Stone 2: .92
- Rating of 1.5 on the cut adviser
Price: $5990

I know that the bigger the stone the more rare and therefore will carry a Higher price tag, but what I dont get is how two H, VS2 stones that are .04 apart can vary so much in price. The setting is a halo with .55 around the bezel and up the shank.

help?

thanks
joe
Do both diamonds have the same lab report such as GIA and are the prices just for the diamonds? This can make a considerable difference in price if one was GIA and another EGL for example. Is one of them a branded cut?

There can be a price jump as you go over a certain weight, going over .90cts you would expect an increase but not that much of one. Also some vendors who have carefully selected in house diamonds with all the info provided can rightfully charge more than a vendor who just drop ships if the more expensive diamond is being sold by such a vendor, in this case though the price variance is considerable.
Are they both being sold online from the same vendor, or is one with a jeweller and another online?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the specs? And are both stones certified and by the same entity (i.e., both GIA or AGS?)

ETA: Lorelei we were posting at the same time, lol.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2009 5:20:30 PM
Author: neatfreak
What are the specs? And are both stones certified and by the same entity (i.e., both GIA or AGS?)

ETA: Lorelei we were posting at the same time, lol.
9.gif
35.gif

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
Both are GIA stones and have basically the same numbers. One table is like 55.8 and one is 55.7 things like that. Both get excellent across the board on the cut adviser and then a Very good for spread.

They are at a local BM place.

thanks
joe

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the physical dimensions? Table and depth%? Girdle thickness, polish and symm ratings? Other comments like fluor?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2009 5:26:38 PM
Author: HpiRally
Both are GIA stones and have basically the same numbers. One table is like 55.8 and one is 55.7 things like that. Both get excellent across the board on the cut adviser and then a Very good for spread.

They are at a local BM place.

thanks
joe
The proportions look ok from what we have, but I don't think those would make 2k dollars worth of difference from the sound of it going by what you say on the HCA results - both sound like well cut diamonds and as such this would not account for such a price variance.

Does the price include the settings for each diamond?

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
Both are Ideal cuts with very good polish. These are loose stones. Thats the part I dont get...when you look at the stones certs both are almost identical...yet there is a $2k difference. It doesnt make sense. I ran a search here based on cut and I noticed the same thing...once you hit the .9 mark the price jumps dramatically.

joe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2009 7:11:04 PM
Author: HpiRally
Both are Ideal cuts with very good polish. These are loose stones. Thats the part I dont get...when you look at the stones certs both are almost identical...yet there is a $2k difference. It doesnt make sense. I ran a search here based on cut and I noticed the same thing...once you hit the .9 mark the price jumps dramatically.

joe
Thats as I thought, the diamonds sounded very similar from your first post so I really don't think that could account for the price difference - the only thing I can see is going from .80 to .90 and so on, but it is still a big price jump...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Are the stones from different vendors? Not all vendors will charge the same for the same stone. Some offer more services and price their stones accordingly. If it''s an internet vendor can you post links so the specs can be scrutinized? It''s also possible there is a good deal waiting for you!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is also the possibility that the stones were bought from different time periods. One during the peak price period, around summer last year and one after that when prices of stones starts falling. I think the price reflects the cost of bringing it in and not the current price situations, but that may vary from vendor to vendor also.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 6:23:32 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
There is also the possibility that the stones were bought from different time periods. One during the peak price period, around summer last year and one after that when prices of stones starts falling. I think the price reflects the cost of bringing it in and not the current price situations, but that may vary from vendor to vendor also.
That crossed my mind but especially as these are from a brick and mortar jeweller I don't know if it would make that much difference with the pricing.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At 0.90 the price jumps up by between 10 and 30%. This is normal.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 6:32:50 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
At 0.90 the price jumps up by between 10 and 30%. This is normal.
Thanks Paul, I did wonder if that could be the case - that helps!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results