shape
carat
color
clarity

Can my Valentine''s weekend suck ANY WORSE?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are likely going to lose our house if Ryan is one of these 7000 jobs. Verizon has a whole staff for doing exactly what he does.

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/14/technology/verizon_mci/index.htm?cnn=yes

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
oh ame, i will be thinking of you, i truly hope it does not affect you two

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
He doesn''t know yet. That''s the worst part.

We thought he made it through everything, he made it through 22 layoffs over the last few years. Barely.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Ame,
I''m keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn''t happen. I know how stressful the thought of something like that can be. Has he had any indication that he may be a part of this?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t think that MCI has 7000 people left anyway, he is one of 12 left in his building meant for 5000. Everyone else was laid off already. Theres a few folks scattered but most are in S/C or N/C now and they arent going to keep his facility open.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel for you and pray he isn''t part of the layoffs. It must be so hard on you having that hang over your heads, I''ll be thinking of you.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry!! I know the torment you two are going through - my dad works for MCI and has managed to escape about 30 different layoffs in the last 3 years, however he has been saying lately that he doesn''t think he''s going to make it through this one. My stepmom was not so lucky, she got laid off about 3 years ago from there. UGH!!!

You are in my thoughts, I REALLY hope that everything turns out ok. I know this may not help much right now, but if it does happen, there will be other jobs and things will work out in the end!
25.gif

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Ame,

I am so sorry. I hope your fiance gets to keep his job. Lay offs are awful to go thru. I just hate to hear this when you just got your home. Keeping my fingers crossed for you two.

Lori

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Wishing you lots of good luck.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope everything works out...that he sails through these layoffs with his job in hand...and if the worst happens, that he gets scooped right up into a better and even higher paying job. ~~~good thoughts~~~

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Ame, I hope he doesn''t lose his job. And if he does, I hope he finds a better one!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
He said he got an internal memo about it yesterday and that they are all ok for at least a year because they have to get the judgement on whether or not the buyout can take place. Apparently Sprint tried a couple years ago and a Judge declined it.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Ame,
That''s great news!! Gives you guys time to decide if he wants to wait it out, or polish off the old resume and start looking to see what else is out there. Now you can breath a sigh of relief for a little while.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I hope thats not the case. Ill keep you in my prayers.

Here is a little story I have and my 2 cents

My older son last year, had found out that his wife was spending all the money that was suppose to go to the house payment on herself, and years later they told him they were going to repo the house. His credit was so bad he could not refinance to get the $30,000 equity out of the house. About 2 days before they were going to get kicked out he was still laying around the house without a care in the world. Then in the dead of winter they move from a $400 a month house payment they couldnt afford to a $650 a month rent. Then in the next two weeks they both lost their jobs and were expecting a 3rd child (they were both too lazy to get fixed. (if you cant feed them dont bread them). Out of all of this we did not lift a finger to help them. When somebody thats in that kind of mess has better Cable then I do and better internet access then I do and smokes up a storm, I will not be an enabler. My other two sons are perfect they learned from their older brothers mistakes.

People think we are bad because we have the money and wont help. Well lets put it this way, we learned our lesson on helping people that wont help themselves.

As for you. In this day and age, dont feel like your going to put in 30 years at a company, have a nestegg of money set aside. If you live day to day then you should expect to lose your house. I hope you dont, I hope this jolt will teach you that anything could happen and be prepaired.

Wait till wall mart gets into the phone service then he will loose his job.

Locally Maytag pulled out and went to Mexico. People bought the cheapest instead of paying a little more for quailty and to keep people here in a job.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 10
6.gif
5:56 AM
Author: Iceman
My older son last year, had found out that his wife was spending all the money that was suppose to go to the house payment on herself, and years later they told him they were going to repo the house. His credit was so bad he could not refinance to get the $30,000 equity out of the house. About 2 days before they were going to get kicked out he was still laying around the house without a care in the world. Then in the dead of winter they move from a $400 a month house payment they couldnt afford to a $650 a month rent. Then in the next two weeks they both lost their jobs and were expecting a 3rd child (they were both too lazy to get fixed. (if you cant feed them dont bread them). Out of all of this we did not lift a finger to help them. When somebody thats in that kind of mess has better Cable then I do and better internet access then I do and smokes up a storm, I will not be an enabler. My other two sons are perfect they learned from their older brothers mistakes.

People think we are bad because we have the money and wont help. Well lets put it this way, we learned our lesson on helping people that wont help themselves.
Iceman,

I have to commend you on your stance. It must be difficult to withhold the help, but excrutiating to watch your son be so irresponsible. I had a business associate I worked for who decided instead of paying me for my work, she would rather spend the money on expensive shoes, clothes, furniture etc. yet cry poor all the time. I drew the line when she bought her second pair of $350 shoes because the $1200 dog chewed up the first pair! I don''t even own a pair of $350 shoes.
29.gif

AME,

I feel for you and your husband. It stinks how uncertain jobs are these days, especially in big business. They don''t seem to care that you may have just purchased a house or have other obligations. Used to be (years ago, now I''m dating myself!) that you could expect to stay with one company for most of your career. And that company treated you like a family member. Those days unfortunately are long gone.

I am glad that you have been given a year to react, and you will probably end up even better than you imagined!! Good luck!
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2005 10
6.gif
4:20 AM
Author: ame
He said he got an internal memo about it yesterday and that they are all ok for at least a year because they have to get the judgement on whether or not the buyout can take place. Apparently Sprint tried a couple years ago and a Judge declined it.
just hope the FTC say no to the buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results