shape
carat
color
clarity

Can multivitamins decrease your cervical fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I started taking a multivitamin a little over two months ago, and I noticed a dramatic decline in my cervical fluid. Prior to taking a multivitamin, I had an abundance of fertile egg white cervical fluid. Over the past two cycles, it's been really sparse. It's frustrating now that we're trying to get pregnant.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
interesting... I have never seen that I have any EWCM. I have always taken multivitamins and now prenatals... so that could explain it. though... there are plenty of women on the TTC thread who take prenatals and see EWCM.

anyway, don''t get discouraged. even though I never saw EWCM, the 2nd cycle after I stopped the pill (after taking it for 10 years) I fell pregnant. so lack of seeing EWCM doesn''t mean you can''t get pregnant. if you are worried, you can always try using pre-seed. and if you''re worried about being able to track your most fertile days, there are other ways to do this, like OPKs.

by the way, if you eat healthy, you don''t HAVE to take prenatals as you will get all the vitamins you need out of a well-balanced diet. and regarding the extra folic acid... that is intended for the tiny percentage of women who need the extra bit so that their babies don''t get spinal defects. as it is very difficult to say which women have this and which women they don''t, they just prescribe it to all as it doesn''t do any damage to have too much.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before you stop taking the vitamins, try upping your water intake. Also, are you taking any sort of allergy or cold medicine? Sometimes something as simple as plain old Claritin can dry you out.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 7:45:00 AM
Author: noelwr
interesting... I have never seen that I have any EWCM. I have always taken multivitamins and now prenatals... so that could explain it. though... there are plenty of women on the TTC thread who take prenatals and see EWCM.

anyway, don't get discouraged. even though I never saw EWCM, the 2nd cycle after I stopped the pill (after taking it for 10 years) I fell pregnant. so lack of seeing EWCM doesn't mean you can't get pregnant. if you are worried, you can always try using pre-seed. and if you're worried about being able to track your most fertile days, there are other ways to do this, like OPKs.

by the way, if you eat healthy, you don't HAVE to take prenatals as you will get all the vitamins you need out of a well-balanced diet. and regarding the extra folic acid... that is intended for the tiny percentage of women who need the extra bit so that their babies don't get spinal defects. as it is very difficult to say which women have this and which women they don't, they just prescribe it to all as it doesn't do any damage to have too much.
I was also wondering if maybe something was wrong with me before I started taking the multivitamins - like I was deficient in something and my CM was thinner than it was supposed to be. Also, I was a pretty healthy eater before, but I've been even healthier these past two months. I've read too much vitamin C can dry out your CM, but I don't think I'm getting too much vitamin C.

ETA: I didn't start taking the vitamins b/c I was concerned that I was deficient in vitamins or worried about my CM. I'm just thinking out loud now and throwing that out there as a possible explanation for the change in CM since taking vitamins.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you suspect you''re deficient in something you should go see your doctor. S/he can do blood work to determine what if anything you need more of and can work with you. Every doctor I''ve ever gone to has stressed the importance of taking vitamins, especially iron and folic acid for women. I don''t totally agree with noel''s statement about not needing multivitamins if you eat a healthy diet. Not everyone absorbs nutrients at the same rate, some do it more efficiently than others and may not need a supplement, but most women are deficient in one thing or another that can be provided by a MV.

Again, if you''re really concerned about a deficiency or the sudden decrease in CM, then make an appointment with your doctor.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 7:50:19 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Before you stop taking the vitamins, try upping your water intake. Also, are you taking any sort of allergy or cold medicine? Sometimes something as simple as plain old Claritin can dry you out.
Nope, no meds. I''ve read drinking lots of water is important for CM, so I''ve started drinking more water. Would the vitamins affect how the water is absorbed/used in the body?

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 8:01:20 AM
If you suspect you''re deficient in something you should go see your doctor. S/he can do blood work to determine what if anything you need more of and can work with you. Every doctor I''ve ever gone to has stressed the importance of taking vitamins, especially iron and folic acid for women. I don''t totally agree with noel''s statement about not needing multivitamins if you eat a healthy diet. Not everyone absorbs nutrients at the same rate, some do it more efficiently than others and may not need a supplement, but most women are deficient in one thing or another that can be provided by a MV.

Again, if you''re really concerned about a deficiency or the sudden decrease in CM, then make an appointment with your doctor.
No, I don''t really think I was deficient in anything. I''m just throwing out ideas. I''m going to track my CM this cycle and make an appt. with my doctor.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, are you tracking internally or just externally. To get a really accurate idea of what''s going on you should be tracking internally. It could just be all hanging out inside this month. I remember having months where it seemed like there was less than usual. Since CM is hormonally driven and hormones can be affected by stress and other factors I always just assumed it had to do with that.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 8:13:42 AM
Also, are you tracking internally or just externally. To get a really accurate idea of what''s going on you should be tracking internally. It could just be all hanging out inside this month. I remember having months where it seemed like there was less than usual. Since CM is hormonally driven and hormones can be affected by stress and other factors I always just assumed it had to do with that.
You know, I could always track externally. It was always really obvious. It was such a noticeable difference, that I had to start tracking internally.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Brightlight,

I have been taking prenatal vitamins for close to a year now, and have not noticed a decrease in CF. Everyone is different though, of course. I had not been taking any vitamins previously.

You might consider using a product like preseed, if you are not already. Also, drinking grapefruit juice is said to increase CF. Some also take a particular type of Robitussin.

Good luck TTC'g!!

ETA: Are you taking a prenatal, or a general multivitamin?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I would not worry too much about not getting EWCM. I never get EWCM and I got pregnant 3 times in one year. Mine only gets real watery, not stretchy.

Increase your fluids, watch your caffiene, and don''t stress.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 9:45:02 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
Hi Brightlight,

I have been taking prenatal vitamins for close to a year now, and have not noticed a decrease in CF. Everyone is different though, of course. I had not been taking any vitamins previously.

You might consider using a product like preseed, if you are not already. Also, drinking grapefruit juice is said to increase CF. Some also take a particular type of Robitussin.

Good luck TTC''g!!

ETA: Are you taking a prenatal, or a general multivitamin?
The active ingredient in Robitussin is guaifenesin. It thins any mucous in the body, including CM, although it is primarily used for the relief of congestion in the sinuses and respiratory tract. The easiest way to take it for CM purposes is 12hour Mucinex pills.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think it''s more of a psychological thing for me. CM is a visible sign of fertility so it''s encouraging, whereas I can''t see my egg being released.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results