shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I sleep in these dangling earrings?

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
I finally collected a pair of diamonds to make a pair of earrings. I know I want dangling earrings that can be comfortably worn all day long and sleep in them. I am thinking of the ones as shown in the picture below but I don't know if I will eventually break the hinges if I sleep in them daily. Does anyone have earring in this style and can you suggest? I appreciate it so much ahead!

Sophisticate-Round-Diamond-Huggies (1).jpg

Attachments

• JX3200EG_RND_WG (1).jpg
    JX3200EG_RND_WG (1).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 106

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest I dont think its good to sleep in earrings. Not because it will hurt the earrings mind you but because there is a chance
it will stretch your holes out. It happened to me, twice in one ear because I didn't know what was causing it. I had the one ear fixed and
waited 6 months to start wearing earrings again. I again choose to sleep in my studs and that hole stretched out again. It may be all
dependent on how stretchy your earring area is though It all could be dependent on your DNA...just telling you my experience.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I have earrings like those and I cannot sleep in them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't sleep in earrings like that. Personally the only earrings I would consider sleeping in would be studs, and only if under 1ct each.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I have earrings similar to those that I wear on a daily and sleep and do everything in them for the last 5 or 6 years. The only time I didn't wear them was when it broke but luckily it was in bed. I have issues with studs as the backs cause irritation and I get keloid scars. I have never had issues with the hinges opening etc due to sleeping.

FB_IMG_1520554575673.jpg

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@tyty333 @OcnGypZ @lovedogs thanks a lot for the advice! tyty333 I hope your ear hole recovers. that must be so ouchy!

Somehow my ear holes don't like studs. they get red and swelling in studs, but they are ok with hoops. maybe I have to take them off every night :(

Thanks a lot for your advice!

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@maryjane04 Thanks a lot for your advice! I have some issues with studs. Hopefully mine also adapt to dangles well like yours.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @pricescopenewbie, can you share where you found those settings? I think my wife may like them and interested in possibly buying her a pair.

On a side note, being a guy, please help me understand the value of sleeping in your earrings. My wife always takes hers out. Is this is a thing?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sleep in a plain pair of hoops that are pretty similar, and I had a pair before that that I slept in for years and only stopped because they were gold plated and a bunch of the plating wore off, so I replaced them with actual gold ones. I think those would be fine to sleep in. I can't sleep in studs because the post pokes me, but some hoops work well. My left ear hole closes up pretty quickly so I still have to wear earrings much of the time if I don't want it to. I haven't had any issues with holes getting stretched out.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a side note, being a guy, please help me understand the value of sleeping in your earrings. My wife always takes hers out. Is this is a thing?

1. laziness
2. I have one ear where the hole can literally close up overnight. I got my ears pierced 9 (?) years ago and it can still randomly just close up if I got a day or two without earrings, and I don't always remember to put earrings on every day, so it's easier if I just leave in a small pair of hoops I can wear all the time, so I don't poke through a scab or closed over skin in the middle of my piercing weekly.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't sleep in dangles, just because I have a fear of them catching and ripping my earlobes. I am in the bad group here on PS, because I have slept in my diamond studs 24/7/365 for 12 years and I haven't lost them yet. Simple push backs too. And my earing holes haven't gotten stretched out yet. But I agree that it's not a good habit.. i'm just so lazy

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Hey @pricescopenewbie, can you share where you found those settings? I think my wife may like them and interested in possibly buying her a pair.

1. Convenience
2. Being embedded in my body more means less chance loosing it.

In my case, I’m wearing earrings since I was maybe less than a month old. So I didn’t know that others took off their earrings when going in bed until I read it in PS. I pierced my DD ears when she was 8mo and she’s been wearing earrings 24/7 ever since. So in my case, it was the opposite, I didn’t know taking off earrings when going to sleep is a thing.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have earrings similar to those that I wear on a daily and sleep and do everything in them for the last 5 or 6 years. The only time I didn't wear them was when it broke but luckily it was in bed. I have issues with studs as the backs cause irritation and I get keloid scars. I have never had issues with the hinges opening etc due to sleeping.

FB_IMG_1520554575673.jpg

Not really a contribution to the discussion but those earrings are so pretty @maryjane04 ! I can't sleep with any jewelry on. It bugs me too much.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only slept with my first pair of earrings that were used to pierce my ears which were plain small gold hoops as in sleepers. I needed to wear them for as long as I could to keep the holes open, hence I slept with them.

I changed to studs after that pair and could not sleep with them.

DK :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge As @distracts said, it is mostly laziness because every time you put studs in and take them out you are getting your
finger oil all over them then they need to be cleaned. Solution...leave them in! Unfortunately, studs (1ctw) stretched my
earring holes out. I no longer wear stud type earrings. Only hoops or shepards hooks for me these days!

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@pricescopenewbie my family stores selling these type of earrings too, as other jewelry we got broken buyback after years of wear and tear. If you’re wearing it and taking it off everyday there’s a chance to broke it from opening and closing it everyday over the year too. So if you’re taking it off everyday make sure be gentle.

Edit: over my 36yrs wearing earrings when sleeping, with several different types of earrings, including big dangling drop earrings (the biggest I’ve ever wore weighing 5-6grams), no diamond, solid gold, I’ve never broke one because sleeping on it.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found them.

Also found them here, although they only had a YG option. Need WG for my girl. Maybe LA has WG. Or possibly other dealers.

I’ve not heard of Jade Trau before. Quality?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on a person. I have worn earrings and slept in them since I was 3 months old. I am fine. I would sleep in those you showed as well. I never ever take my earrings off at night.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
I just got a chance to look at all the replies and @sledge thanks for finding the links of the earrings! I agree with everyone here that it is so convenient to not to take them off. To me, every morning is a rush to get ready and go to work and I always forget to put on my jewelries so the solution is to leave them on!

I am now considering dormeuse earrings since they are supposed to be comfy sleeping in. Anyone lucky lady has a pair of them? how do you like them? I would also be very interested to see the pictures if you don't mind :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take mine off before bed, because I certainly wouldn't want soap scum on diamonds from the shower. Otherwise you'd need to take them off to clean them! So since I wouldn't shower in them, it makes no sense to sleep in them, either!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I don't sleep or shower in my jewelry either, not even a wedding ring. I put them on in the morning after my morning grooming and take them off at night before my bath.

Jewelry likes to sleep too!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I got my ears pierced when I was 57 years old, and had fallen in love with some earrings that I saw in a jewellery store....

Once my piercings healed up, I always took my earrings out to sleep, as I take all my jewellery off when I go to bed.
I never knew that sleeping with earrings was a ‘thing’ until PS.

I do understand convenience and/ or laziness too! But I find sleeping in earrings to be uncomfortable.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A local jeweler here sells “sleepers” with a variety of charms, but the clasp is that tricky wire in the tube fastener. https://emmagloverdesign.com/products/diamond-little-sun-sleepers?_pos=17&_sid=ed1cd5a34&_ss=r

My first and only pair of sleepers were the ones that were used to pierced my ears.

They were wires with a tube at one end, and a pin at the other. They had to be bent into shape for the pin to fit into the tube end.

After wearing them constantly until the holes had healed for at least a couple of weeks, I took them out, and was not able to put them back again.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it is ever a good idea to sleep in earrings unless one is unable to remove them for whatever reason. For an able bodied person however earrings should be removed before going to sleep. Too risky to catch them on something and tear an earlobe or stretch out your piercing and then there is the risk to the earrings themselves which is secondary to your safety risk. So yeah I would always remove earrings before going to sleep or doing anything where there is the potential to damage the earrings or more importantly hurt /tear one's earlobes or piercings.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the reasoning earlier. I appreciate that.

I will be sure to remind my wife about the night I thought I was grabbing my pillow in the middle of the night and abruptly ripped HER pillow out from underneath her head in the flash of a second.

I woke up to her yelling and slapping at me asking WTF my problem was to which I promptly responded, “Listen here crazy, I was in a nice slumber and woke up to you being hysterical so WTF is your problem. This is not the way to get lucky!” One more slap and then she proceeded to snatch “my” pillow from underneath my head which I tried to retrieve. She looked a bit like a demon and told me to get my own pillow. I look around and find my actual pillow on the other side of me and quickly go back to sleep.

A few hours later she is staring at me asking if I’m ready to apologize. I told her I was confused and don’t know what happened. She then gave me the whole story from her very animated perspective.

We have a great laugh about it now but I assure you laughing as she brought my “sins” to light is NOT the time she was willing to laugh with me.

Heaven forbid had she been wearing an earring and I accidentally ripped her lobe(s) with my sleeping ninja skills.i likely would not be alive to share this story.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
LOL on sledge's story! I guess that is another reason not to sleep in earrings - to keep whoever sleep in the same bed alive.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
I h

I'm a woman & I have multiple ear piercings. All my lobe earrings come out. My helix & tragus piercings stay in though..

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s definitely a two way street in our house @pricescopenewbie.

Once I woke up in the middle of the night with her hand over my face. Do you realize how damn creepy that is?

was similar to this:

I controlled my breathing as I was terrified and was like what sort of a sick psycho is petting my face. I was about to unleash the fury when I caught a scent of her hand lotion. Oh, it’s my wife! I grabbed her hand and asked her what she was doing.

She was dead asleep and mumbled “I am brailling your face”. To which I promptly replied, go practice your Braille somewhere besides my face!”

To this day she denies doing this. And she laughs fiercely when I try to explain how terrorizing of a feeling that is. Am I about to be smothered? Is someone about to cut my face off? <put the lotion on the skin!> Nope, just my wife’s way of saying I love you @ 3am in the most weirdest way possible!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am honestly wondering how actively y'all sleep that tearing your earrings out is a concern at night for you. This is WAY more likely to happen to me during the day, especially as I'm ripping a mask off my face as I enter the sweet freedom of the outdoors. I've yet to lose an earring doing this but I've lost multiple earring backs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results