shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I put fragile stones in the ultrasonic once in awhile?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m finally getting around to buying a Sharper Image ultrasonic and wondered if I could occassionally put my more fragile stones like peridot, tanzanite & emerald in the ultrasonic. I have several things that are 15 years+ old that I''m sure need cleaning. Would it immediately damage these stones or is it the repeted use that does the damage?

widget

Ideal_Rock
The only ones I''ve heard of that shouldn''t go into a US are pearls, opal, and emerald. My best guess is that your tanzanite and peridot should be fine.

I think emeralds are not OK because their oil treatment might be vulnerable, not because they''re particularly fragile. If I''m wrong about this, I hope an expert will jump in and correct me!

widget

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ugh...i just lost my long post!
39.gif

you can put the softer stones in the us. just make sure you don''t use any harsh chemicals or allow the pieces to agitate on any surfaces. wink shared a great tip for suspending jewelry in the us... just get a coat hanger and put a bend in it that is low enough to allow the jewelry to reach the tank.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slightly off topic, but do you think the coat hanger trick would work for delicate pave pieces too that you don''t trust to the full fury of the US?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I''ll see what I can do.

DeeJay...I have pave rings that I planned on putting in there. They are Michael B 3 sided pave. If the stones come out, at least I''ll know where they are.....or at least that''s my plan. Am I wrong on this?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID, I''m not 100% sure. I''ve read several posts that say that if a stone falls out of a pave piece they it probably wasn''t in there good to begin with. But I have a few (shall we say) *cheap* pave pieces that I don''t trust to be well made enough to hold the stones through much vigerous USing. (Being cheap is obviously not the case with your Michael Bs!)

That being said, I put my Jack Kelege pave mounting through the US (for the 10 days or so that I actually had the mouting in my possession, LOL) and nothing fell out.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes - definitely don't put the emerald in there!!! The oil treatment is vulnerable from what I've read. The others...you might take a chance with (but I don't know if I would).

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Does the Sharper Image model have a basket? I have the Frontgate ultrasonic and I use the basket for my pave and other more delicate jewelry. I''ve never had any stones come out or other problems. I do not however put my opals or emeralds in there ever.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the SI ultrasonic comes with a watch basket, which should work easily for rings and such.

Also, saw this regarding the emeralds:

Emerald is often treated with oil to fill fissures and fractures that are characteristic of emerald. Hence, You should never clean an emerald in an ultrasonic cleaner because this oil could be removed or damaged, making the fissures more visible. In addition, do not clean emerald in hot soapy water since it too can remove this oil.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if I would chance it. All the standard gem care sites state to not put the softer gems like peridot, amethysts, topaz, etc. into an US cleaner. The only gem I''ve seen that gets the ok for US is sapphires. I''d hate to have something bad happen but then again it is only once and a while??????? :dunno:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wouldn''t chance it....inclusions you might not see or be aware of might react and your stone could crack and/or shatter. i''d try wink''s product or stick with a soft brush and soapy water. there is absolutely no way i''d put my spess in one.

movie zombie

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, how are liking your new ultrasonic?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 2:58:48 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I love it. In fact, I used it today, and peeked in after I turned it on, seeing how the water rippled, and thought to myself, my SI NEVER looked like that. I can just tell it''s doing a great job, plus the ring comes out looking fabuloso.
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 5:28:20 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 2/8/2007 2:58:48 PM

I love it. In fact, I used it today, and peeked in after I turned it on, seeing how the water rippled, and thought to myself, my SI NEVER looked like that. I can just tell it''s doing a great job, plus the ring comes out looking fabuloso.
9.gif

good to know. I''m going to order one for my sister
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emeralds and Tanzanites should never be cleaned in an ultrasonic. I also wouldn''t clean anything with pave'' in one of them. I''m scared of ultrasonics.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 11:16:44 PM

good to know. I''m going to order one for my sister
1.gif
I think it''s a great buy and present!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 3:29:18 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Slightly off topic, but do you think the coat hanger trick would work for delicate pave pieces too that you don''t trust to the full fury of the US?
woah, okay now I have a question - I haven''t been getting the results from my us that I was hoping for - but there is a plastic basket in there.... would I get better results if I took the basket out and put the things right against the metal tank?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 4:39:10 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Yes, the SI ultrasonic comes with a watch basket, which should work easily for rings and such.

Also, saw this regarding the emeralds:

Emerald is often treated with oil to fill fissures and fractures that are characteristic of emerald. Hence, You should never clean an emerald in an ultrasonic cleaner because this oil could be removed or damaged, making the fissures more visible. In addition, do not clean emerald in hot soapy water since it too can remove this oil.

and this is exactly what I did to that ring I posted about in colored stones before I took pics of it LOL Does the oiling intensify the color as well? because I swear the color changed.... ugh.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 2:09:48 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

and this is exactly what I did to that ring I posted about in colored stones before I took pics of it LOL Does the oiling intensify the color as well? because I swear the color changed.... ugh.
"Oiling or Filling The vast majority of emeralds are oiled, that is to say, immersed in oil which fills the many cracks and fissures to which emerald is prone. This has the effect of reducing the visibility of the inclusions, and improving the clarity of the stone. Sometimes oiling also improves the colour. Green coloured oil is sometimes used to enhance the stones natural colour, there are also other fillers used which are more permanent than oil."
34.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 3:29:34 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 2/10/2007 2:09:48 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

''Oiling or Filling The vast majority of emeralds are oiled, that is to say, immersed in oil which fills the many cracks and fissures to which emerald is prone. This has the effect of reducing the visibility of the inclusions, and improving the clarity of the stone. Sometimes oiling also improves the colour. Green coloured oil is sometimes used to enhance the stones natural colour, there are also other fillers used which are more permanent than oil.''
34.gif
Wow, okay.... so I totally did nothing good for this stone by scrubbing it like hell with hot water and soap.... it is supposedly an emerald and even though I don''t trust the guy who gave it to her, I''d say there''s more than 50% chance it is an emerald and the stone looks different now than before I cleaned it - less green and the flaws are more apparent.... it actually gives me more reason to think it might be emerald....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should have it looked at, and perhaps re-oiled?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results