shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I have a little help with setting an Emerald?

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I have an Emerald that is around 3cts and want a simple three stone setting.

SK has sourced 2 pairs of traps for me. I think I have a preference but I would love to hear what others think.

Would bigger side stones emphasize the color more since there is more contrast?
The smaller ones seem to emphasize the size of the emerald more...

They are 0.23ctw and 0.4ctw.

EBF36843-A959-4B0D-971E-7BFBEBE7FE85.png 387F95C7-EB8D-4768-B731-BC6053269525.png

YC

Brilliant_Rock
I personally prefer no 2. The sizes of the stones look more balanced. What is your ring size? Are you able to post photos of the stones ( or at least the centre stone) on your finger so that we can have a rough idea how big the stone looks on you?

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your reply YC!

My ring size is a 6 but the stone is with SK so I don't have a hand shot.

I do have a yellow diamond which is approximately the same size as the emerald, already set in an SK 3-stone with half moons. I feel like the center stone doesn’t stand out enough because the side stones are big. 2969293E-E586-4EEC-AE79-EFF2E0A49C09.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do have a yellow diamond which is approximately the same size as the emerald, already set in an SK 3-stone with half moons. I feel like the center stone doesn’t stand out enough because the side stones are big. 2969293E-E586-4EEC-AE79-EFF2E0A49C09.jpeg

That’s because you need to probably clean the diamond. It looks a bit hazy in the picture. The emerald looks better with the larger diamonds. It’s a lovely emerald, it would tale a lot to detract from that stone!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like the larger side stones. It is more balanced.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful stone. I like nr 1 (smaller stones).

YC

Brilliant_Rock

Can it also be related to the colour of the stone? The colour of the emerald will stand out and probably will not be overwhelmed by the side stones.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I like the bigger stones too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the bigger side stones.

DK :))

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I favored the smaller stones more as I felt they showcased the emerald more. It seems though that most prefer the bigger ones.

Looking at the photos below of just the side stones, do the bigger ones look too big? Almost twice the width of the smaller ones?

With the larger pair, it is a true 3 stone ring but the smaller ones are more like accents?

3AA12D36-E3F3-4BA3-9202-DDEFA78F538E.png A7ED6494-4C37-491B-8F8E-22422F90204C.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a layout picture of the unset stones from your yellow diamond ring?
If you do - comparing that to the ring on your hand should help you visualize how it will change once set?

Since SK picked out those two sets to go with your emerald - so I can assume that it means they both ‘go’ proportion wise to your center
And you already have larger sidestones for your yellow

I vote the smaller.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am in the minority; like you OP in this case I prefer the smaller accent stones’ visual.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a layout picture of the unset stones from your yellow diamond ring?
Unfortunately I don't. The yellow diamond was already set when I bought the ring.

I initially wanted graduated french cuts, maybe that is why my eye is still more drawn to the smaller stones.
At least there are a few more votes for the smaller sides.=)2
It's down to personal preference I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone who has commented.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I also prefer the smaller sidestones with the Emerald.

To my eyes, the larger sides make for a "blocky" 3-stone; the smaller sides + Emerald seem to flow better.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the smaller.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the smaller traps. To me they emphasize the shape of your stone while the bigger pair seem to blend in more.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Would you not want more protection around such a stone? Emerald is not so tough in daily wear.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in LOVE with your emerald, and I think that the smaller stones on both sides showcase the emerald better, to my eyes anyway! It will be a beautiful ring!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On antiques roadshow, the host tried on an emerald ring and the side-stones (trapezoids), are as long as the gem. It’s sumptuous. See this video at the 21:42 mark. I think smaller diamonds would get lost next to that gorgeous emerald of yours.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too think smaller is better, but would the larger protect the emerald more?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The larger sidestones vs the smaller ones you pictured above? Both in relation to a setting similar to the yellow diamond ring you currently have?
No. I don’t think so.

I too think smaller is better, but would the larger protect the emerald more?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
249C850A-6577-45B3-94E9-9BC682D70084.jpeg

I think you’ve already said you don’t want a halo. But can you imagine your stone set by SK with maybe a couple of fancy shape diamonds in the halo?

I mean, If you are worried about protecting the emerald...
<———————-
(Coming from someone who wears a high cab unprotected emerald , although it’s much much cheaper than I assume yours)

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
Keep in mind SK can set the side diamonds on an angle so they flow down the band, rather than sitting straight across the finger, so it won't look "blocky" even with the larger side stones. Here is mine for comparison (also set by SK): a 3.4ct emerald with 0.8tcw traps, on a size 5 finger. There's also a video of the ring on his insta - you can see the angle of the diamonds a bit better on the video. I hope this helps!

2nvMsFWRToKpspW9BTQOkA.jpg

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind SK can set the side diamonds on an angle so they flow down the band, rather than sitting straight across the finger, so it won't look "blocky" even with the larger side stones. Here is mine for comparison (also set by SK): a 3.4ct emerald with 0.8tcw traps, on a size 5 finger. There's also a video of the ring on his insta - you can see the angle of the diamonds a bit better on the video. I hope this helps!

Wow that’s fabulous!!! @Boom is going to have an amazing ring

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the double prongs are fabulous.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I favor the larger side stones - was also thinking the angle would make it flow better

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the smaller stones. For me it's all about the (emerald).

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I am so torn!!

SK thinks the larger pair flows better but my eye still is drawn to the smaller ones.

He sent a couple of videos 2F5AA9A2-0E0A-416E-ADA5-027F878796FF.png 8EA7A2BF-1E32-4DA6-A285-50473E253DBA.png 9636AFA8-8969-4CD5-A1BA-46DE511CCAE4.png

This isn’t going to be an everyday ring (none of my rings are) so I’m not too worried about protecting the emerald.

@Rfisher
That is a lovely ring and I do not have a halo with surrounding diamonds that size. It would be different from the rest of the halo rings I have, but if I ever want to upgrade the emerald, the setting will surely go to waste.:(

@ordinaryrainbow
That is a fabulous ring and I’m in love. I think your stone is larger and slightly more elongated than mine which gives it a more elegant look.

I do believe SK can make either set work.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium

^^^^Drooling!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results