shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get some thoughts on this Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rocky3

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

What a great forum! There so so much useful information.

I was hoping some more experienced diamond people could share some thoughts with me on this particular diamond I''m looking at:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5264/

Shape: Round Hearts and Arrows
Carat Weight: 1.20ct
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
GIA Cut Grade: Excellent
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 2101177774
In House: Yes
Width: 6.77mm
Length: 6.84mm
Depth: 4.23mm
Table Percentage: 55.63%
Depth Percentage: 62.14%
Crown ∠: 34.62°
Crown Depth: 15.50%
Pavilion ∠: 40.75°
Pavilion Depth: 43.10%

I''m extremely new to diamond buying, but I''ve been reading up a lot to try to educate myself. I think this is a pretty nice rock and fairly priced. What do more knowledgeable people think? Anything that I should be aware about or concerned with?

Any thoughts or ideas would be extremely appreciated.
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its gorgeous.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 5:26:34 AM
Author: JulieN
Its gorgeous.
Ditto, superb diamond!!! You did very well indeed, couldn''t have done better in fact!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
All good.

Just that E color is overkill for me, I would go down to G/H and still not see any color, save some $$ or put more into the setting, but if you like totally colorless stones go for it.

Rocky3

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate the feedback so far. It certainly helps somebody new to diamonds like me to get other''s opinions who are so knowledgeable.

Thank you!

I did think about going to a lower grade color initially, but from all my conversations with different vendors online and locally, color seems quite important to everybody. To me personally I can hardly tell the difference. However, at the same time I want to get my girl a little something nicer if I can afford it. The price point right now after the exchange rate and taxes, is a bit more than I budgeted so lowering my color expectation I something I may need to consider.

Does anybody know if GOG listed prices are rock solid or is there a tiny bit of room for discussion? Excluding the discount received from the wire transfer.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 7:13:54 AM
Author: Rocky3
I really appreciate the feedback so far. It certainly helps somebody new to diamonds like me to get other''s opinions who are so knowledgeable.

Thank you!

I did think about going to a lower grade color initially, but from all my conversations with different vendors online and locally, color seems quite important to everybody. To me personally I can hardly tell the difference. However, at the same time I want to get my girl a little something nicer if I can afford it. The price point right now after the exchange rate and taxes, is a bit more than I budgeted so lowering my color expectation I something I may need to consider.

Does anybody know if GOG listed prices are rock solid or is there a tiny bit of room for discussion? Excluding the discount received from the wire transfer.
If you prefer a higher colour thats absolutely fine - nothing wrong with that at all!!! To some, it matters to them that they have a colourless diamond. But if you decide you want to lower the colour a bit to help the budget then I would suggest F or G colour ( GIA/ AGS graded).

As to any adjustment in pricing you would need to check with Jon at GOG.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone you picked is gorgeous!

As Lorelei said, color is a preference. You could certainly go down some without compromising at all. Many find the G-H range a sweet spot. In a very well cut stone (which GOG''s are), that range will still appear very white. I have a 1.4 G and it shows no warmth at all.

Here''s a couple I would recommend, if you decided to go that route.

You would need to ask if this one is eyeclean, it very well could be. Don''t let the plot/pics scare you, they are not representitive of real life.
28.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4974/

Or this one.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5249/

Rocky3

Rough_Rock
I love pricescopers, you guys are so helpful and friendly. Really makes these hard decisions easier with your opinions.

Thanks for the alternative suggestions Ellen. As best I can, I'm going to try and stick to E color and VS2 if possible. Even at VS2 I'm a little worried about the visibility of the inclusions. I notice on the GIA report of the diamond it's showing feathers, needles, AND crystals. Do you think this is something I should be concerned about? Will any of these things affect the durability of the diamond?

Another worry is that the crystal on the report looks pretty big and is right in the center of the table...
33.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
You don''t have anything to worry about with a VS2 clarity! It should be totally eyeclean. If you have any doubts just ask GOG to confirm.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
That is a spectacular diamond by any standard!

Rocky3

Rough_Rock
Could somebody please explain to me what importance star length % and angle have on diamond quality? Is there an ideal % or angle I should look for? On the GIA facetware it shows the measured star length % as 51.4 and the GIA Rounded Value & Grading to be 50. Is this good or bad?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have chosen a top cut quality stone! You don''t need to worry about it in any respect! E VS2 is a lovely combination, too!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 9:45:56 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
You have chosen a top cut quality stone! You don''t need to worry about it in any respect! E VS2 is a lovely combination, too!
Ditto, and your star and LGF measurements are absolutely fine - no worries!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 5:09:45 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/8/2009 9:45:56 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Ditto, and your star and LGF measurements are absolutely fine - no worries!
Thritto. But if out of curiosity you just want to know, you can do a search on here.
28.gif

Rocky3

Rough_Rock
Hey guys and gals! Thanks for the great comments again.

Can I now get some thoughts between that original diamond => http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5264/

and this one =""> http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5015/

Obviously one is bigger than the other. Most of the specs are very close. Though the 2nd diamond is only "very good" in symmetry compared to the first.

It's a close call but what do you think? Which would you choose and why? Do you think the very good symmetry makes much of a difference compared to the excellent one?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on your preferences, the first is a very fine diamond and on paper also, the second granted has VG lab graded symmetry, but the optical symmetry looks great - read more here on symmetry.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/symm.asp

What I would do is to contact Jon at GOG and pick his brains concerning each diamond, he might be able to do some comparison shots or a video for you to help you choose.

Rocky3

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice Lorelei!

Which would you personally prefer?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 4:19:24 AM

I will always choose extra size in a diamond, so if Jon confirmed the larger diamond held its own compared to the first one, then thats the one I would pick! But I would want Jon''s advice before deciding.

And you are most welcome!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 4:33:06 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/12/2009 4:19:24 AM

I will always choose extra size in a diamond, so if Jon confirmed the larger diamond held its own compared to the first one, then thats the one I would pick! But I would want Jon''s advice before deciding.

And you are most welcome!
Ditto!

Rocky3

Rough_Rock
The larger diamond though has some faint fluorescence. From what I''ve read this is generally undesirable in a diamond in the colorless range, no?
34.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2009 10:20:00 AM
The larger diamond though has some faint fluorescence. From what I've read this is generally undesirable in a diamond in the colorless range, no?
34.gif
You can read more in the link below on fluorescence and colourless diamonds, with faint you will probably never even notice it so I wouldn't worry too much. I think it is more the strong fluorescence which has been considered undesirable in colourless diamonds.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Faint is absolutely no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results