shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get opinions on crystal?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if people will be/have registered for crystal stemware? Cut or plain?

We've been gifted our china (Waterford Lisette) and our sterling (Baltimore Rose), and the crystal pattern that caught my eye and that I keep coming back to is Bellina by Lenox:
http://www.lenox.com/pattern/index.cfm? ... patId=1294

I also have a thing for Michael Aram serveware, specifically his Black Orchid and Poppy patterns, and have a few of his pieces.

So, if we go with this crystal, every single thing on the formal table will have flowers on it! I'm debating between "too much" and "I don't care, I like it!" FI doesn't have an opinion...

What do you think?

FLowers.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I do think its a little OTT. I like your ornate flatware paired with your understated china pattern but I think the stemware is too much. I would go for something classic and more plain.

I like the Waterford Merrill.

So_In_Love

Rough_Rock
I'm in the "I don't care, I like it!" boat. In fact, we registered for the same stemware 2 weeks ago! :D

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I like all the pieces on their own, but together I think it could be a little too much. I think the flatware speaks for itself and I'd probably pair it with something simple and understated.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh my. I think that's flower overload too. I would keep two out of the three. But do what makes you happy yssie.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. (even together)
I think it gives you the option of using it later with less ornate settings and still having a special touch to add a bit extra elegance.

ALWAYS get spares. There will be losses... (drop on floor, set down and catch edge of plate, slip while washing......)
If you need settings for 10, register for 12 (or more).

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
TooPatient said:
I like it. (even together)
I think it gives you the option of using it later with less ornate settings and still having a special touch to add a bit extra elegance.

ALWAYS get spares. There will be losses... (drop on floor, set down and catch edge of plate, slip while washing......)
If you need settings for 10, register for 12 (or more).

What great advice!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the honesty folks :))

In the end, I think majority rules - on looking at everything together, I rather think it transforms the table from elegant, if offbeat, to 'cutesy', which is fine, but not really what I'm going for. I'm going to look 'round for some very, very plain stemware. Or maybe FI will decide he has an opinion :devil:

C-tek - I'm actually not a huge fan of patterns like that, where the goblet seat is decorated - I guess all cut crystal is out!

SIL - It's a lovely pattern, isn't it? It catches my eye every time! I just agree in combo with all the other flower patterns we've got going on it might be a bit too much, and the other pieces/patterns are non-negotiable ::)

TooPatient - Too right about spares! And oh, I like it too, I just can't decide ;(

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Yssie...I am loving everything but the plates. So beautiful. My personal absolute must have out of all of them is the silverware. I would absolutely 100% get those. They're stunning.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks autumn, I think my problem is I love every piece individually, and I didn't put much thought into seeing everything put together when we (read I, because FI refused to voice an opinion about anything!) made our choices...

I agree that seeing it all together, we likely should have chosen a plainer plate pattern, but unfortunately our china and sterling has already been purchased for us, so done is done! And I really do like them... :halo:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
In the end, I think majority rules - on looking at everything together, I rather think it transforms the table from elegant, if offbeat, to 'cutesy', which is fine, but not really what I'm going for. I'm going to look 'round for some very, very plain stemware.
Great choice, yssie! I think you'll have a very cool looking table! I adore the cutlery!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
Thanks autumn, I think my problem is I love every piece individually, and I didn't put much thought into seeing everything put together when we (read I, because FI refused to voice an opinion about anything!) made our choices...

I agree that seeing it all together, we likely should have chosen a plainer plate pattern, but unfortunately our china and sterling has already been purchased for us, so done is done! And I really do like them... :halo:

you should take some pics and share them with us :love: :love: :love: :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sure will :bigsmile: the sterling and china are the most anticipated gifts, by a lot!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
The advice I've heard regarding this, is you can have two ornate things and one simple and plain.

So, if your silver and china are a little on the ornate side, you should go with simple crystal.

:) pretty things though!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So.. I just went and looked at some crystal, and now I'm even more uncertain!

Looked at Riedel's Vinum line, which I was pretty sure was the winner - all the display glasses at our Macy's had seams down the stem, so that's out... still looking.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Yssie, im gonna thread jack...

you're up to [666]5 posts..... :angryfire: hahhahaha

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember said:
Yssie, im gonna thread jack...

you're up to [666]5 posts..... :angryfire: hahhahaha

:devil: :halo: :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. It's 6 in the morning and what am I doing...? Why must decisiveness be so elusive sometimes?

OU - that's exactly what my mum said.. followed by "but you should do what you want, dear" ;(

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I like them all together. I think you've chosen some lovely patterns and for a formal table, I don't think it's over the top at all. If I was going to simplify any of it, I would have done so with the silver but since you already have it the decision is made and it is beautiful. The stemware is beautiful too and I don't think choosing something less ornate will really matter. I'd go with what I love!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too much IMO. I like a more classic look. I do love the Waterford china though! Very pretty and timeless. :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MGR and Laila for your thoughts :))

I went crystal sightseeing today. And made some decisions... no bellina. It's too much - at one place setting it looks lovely, but at 8 all 'round a table.. too much, plus the etchings themselves don't really fit in well other than the fact that everything is floral.

Final decision: Vera Leaf by VW, it fits well without being overwhelming, and the tiny amount of cut is lovely on its own :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't care for the silverware. But that's not what you asked. The crystal is okay. I prefer a simpler crystal like Vera Wangs Classic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results