shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone help a beginner????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

batinich

Rough_Rock

I really need help as I am pretty new at this!

I am looking at a pair of diamond earrings - both are EGL certified:
I VS1 1.51 ct.
J VS2 1.5 ct. The certs. say that both are Tolkowsky ideal cut

Both: Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Culet: None
Graining Nil

14,900 plus tax

How does this sound??? I am concerned that they are EGL certs. but..................

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you seen the stones? if so, what do your eyes tell you? as for the price, you can use the search feature on the home page to see what else is out there and the pricing.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That seems pretty cheap for 2x 1.5 ct diamonds. Have you seen them???

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Garry of this board suggested not long ago he would let us know the parameters these guys use to represent "Tolkolski Ideal Cut," but I''m not sure if they grade anything other than with this category. Of course, maybe they do.

Without more detail, I see comparables running, as suggested above, on this board between $5045 & $8748 broadly each, putting yours a bit high of center. Other than that, we can''t know what they look like, and without more info, including crown & pavilion angles (which you probably can get by asking), any other assessment would not be based on anything I know of.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 5:05:08 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Without more detail, I see comparables running, as suggested above, on this board between $5045 & $8748 broadly each, putting yours a bit high of center.
Am I searching incorrectly? Because when I search for 1.5 ct stones from I-J and VS1-VS2, my range goes from 8-11K each. Excellent to vg cut though.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 5:11:09 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 4/13/2007 5:05:08 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Without more detail, I see comparables running, as suggested above, on this board between $5045 & $8748 broadly each, putting yours a bit high of center.
Am I searching incorrectly? Because when I search for 1.5 ct stones from I-J and VS1-VS2, my range goes from 8-11K each. Excellent to vg cut though.
Your "excellent to vg cut" was the obvious tip off. Based on the info given, I don''t think it''s appropriate to use that search by cut db to arrive at comparables. Despite, as I noted, the claim of "Tolkowski" proportions...I just don''t think we know that. So...

a) first, try the big db instead, and...
b) second, search only on "other,"...i.e. constrain away from both GIA and AGS options, which we DO know these are not.

batinich

Rough_Rock
Proportions:

VS1 - I VS2 - J
Depth 63.4 62.3%
Width 55% 58%
Crown 16% 15%
Pavilion Depth: 43% 43%
Girdle Thickness - Medium Medium, Faceted

I soooooooooooooooooo................... appreciate everyones help!!!! Keep responding!

THANKS!

batinich

Rough_Rock
I have seen them and they seem beautiful with alot of fire! - My concern, they ALL look great!!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
But...now you''ve got some data. Having run them through the cut advisor, I like them, by & large...obviously you like them...ostensibly you''d save something like 25% of what you might otherwise pay here, with other certs (oops)....What EGL are these? USA, European, Israel. If not USA, you''d want to run this against diamonds at least a grade lower on clarity & cut.

batinich

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. I believe these EGL are Isreal but the Jeweler (who we have worked with for over 15 years....) said he would have US EGL appraise them too - Do you really think they will come in lower in color & grade??

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is possible - EGL Israel can be somewhat lax on grading in comparison to other labs.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 5:39:40 PM
Author: batinich
Proportions:

VS1 - I VS2 - J
Depth 63.4 62.3%
Width 55% 58%
Crown 16% 15%
Pavilion Depth: 43% 43%
Girdle Thickness - Medium Medium, Faceted

I soooooooooooooooooo................... appreciate everyones help!!!! Keep responding!

THANKS!
Some here have found that their EGL stones are graded a little less strickly than GIA or AGS and were about 1-2 color or clarity grades off, so these could be K/SI/I1 stones...

Also, what you like is the most important, but I tend to be very nick picky about numbers. Giving my honest opinion, I think the first stone is too deep and will face up a tad small and the second one is a tiny tad deep and a slightly large table. ALso, I really need crown and pavilion angles to fully evaluate these stones, angles are more accurate than percentages.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we all agree that EGL Israel can sometimes, maybe, somewhat be accurate. But two stones? Seems dicey.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock

You know . . . if you saw it and you love it, THAT is what matters. Once your eyes have seen it, numbers are just for a mind clean buy . . . make sure you look at it away from jewelers light. Make them let you take it out of their lighting, outside or off in a corner, etc . . .

I needed great numbers for mind clean issues but certainly there are beautiful diamonds that don''t have perfect numbers.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
A few thoughts that are likely not to be too helpful:

1) Re...viewing these options...I'm guessing they're spot on fairly priced...compared to options here. How did I compare these? I went back to the big db, accepted all certifications, and accepted the stated color & clarity. These includes then many EGLs, with GIAs & AGS's, with option #1 ranging $6K - $12 K, and option #2 ranging $4800 to $8800. Add the center of these two categories together, and you get your price. How scientific is this? I don't know.

Also, as Hikerchick says, you like them...

Date: 4/13/2007 6:31:50 PM
Author: hikerchick

You know . . . if you saw it and you love it, THAT is what matters. Once your eyes have seen it, numbers are just for a mind clean buy . . . make sure you look at it away from jewelers light. Make them let you take it out of their lighting, outside or off in a corner, etc . . .

I needed great numbers for mind clean issues but certainly there are beautiful diamonds that don't have perfect numbers.

Still, though...what does "you like them" mean? You'd probably like them if they also cost half as much, or twice as much. At some point, you want to mix that together with...what are they worth.

Two other sets of options you might consider...

2) A set with these, or...

3) A set with these...

With options 2 & 3, you may know more closely what you're getting. Also, do read this contemporary thread.

If you're not concerned about getting what the label says with option #1, and you like the dealer...you may be fine.

Final note...with earrings...the girl is like hardly ever looking at them, so I'm not sure I get it. But, I'm sympathetic.

Regards,

batinich

Rough_Rock
What is suspicious with two stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results