Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Can an Asscher cut be too small?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
With cuts like princess, round brillant, pear, radiant, marquise etc, the size doenst change the look or decrease the cut's effect... but with step cuts like Emerald and Asscher... is there such a thing as too small??? I have been dreaming of asschers lately and would love to get a small one to have, stare at, dream of, lol, but how small is too small...?
 

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2010
Messages
4,267
Possibly purely subjective, BUT, 5mm is the lower limit for me. Smaller than that and the windmill effect is lost, though may be ok as side stones
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
that is the number I was figuring... the .70ish carat mark. Today I went to get my ERing polished and I was creepily stalking the asschers but didn't have the guts to ask them to take them out for me, clearly I wasn't planning on buying...
 

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2007
Messages
6,746
I had a .75 ct briefly. It just didn't have the appropriate look for me. My own limit is about 1.5 ct. To me, the fascinating facets are lost if it's any smaller.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
somethingshiny- thanks for weighing in... i truly want honest, as if the money is ever there for a smaller step-cut I dont want to use it on something that will not show it's true beauty!
 

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
5,586
Laurenthepartier has an asscher that's about 5mm (if I remember correctly) and I think its stunning. That would probably be my preference, at least 5mm.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,955
Too small for what?
To enjoy the hall of mirror effect, yes.
To enjoy the shape outline, pattern, and larger facets for the small weight compared to brilliant cuts, no.

I have a 0.33 yellow asscher and it is beautiful and blingy.

Also this depends on the near vision of the owner.
Young people may be able to enjoy the hall of mirrors effect better than an older person in a smaller asscher.
Obviously this goes for people of any age with better or worse close vision.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Kenny- to enjoy the hall of mirrors effect that many seek when getting an asscher...
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,955
Amys Bling|1307891219|2944039 said:
Kenny- to enjoy the hall of mirrors effect that many seek when getting an asscher...
In that case the cut off size will vary with the person's near vision.
If someone held a gun to my head to make me guess a range I'd guess 0.5 to 1 ct for the vision most people have - either not needing glasses or with their glasses on.

If I took my glasses off the minimum asscher in which I could resolve the hall of mirror effect would be maybe 6 ct or so. ;(
Maybe I need to get together with Phoenix, who is planning on getting a 6-ct Octavia. :naughty: :naughty:
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
kenny|1307892114|2944052 said:
Amys Bling|1307891219|2944039 said:
Kenny- to enjoy the hall of mirrors effect that many seek when getting an asscher...
In that case the cut off size will vary with the person's near vision.
If someone held a gun to my head to make me guess a range I'd guess 0.5 to 1 ct for the vision most people have - either not needing glasses or with their glasses on.

If I took my glasses off the minimum asscher in which I could resolve the hall of mirror effect would be maybe 6 ct or so. ;(
Maybe I need to get together with Phoenix, who is planning on getting a 6-ct Octavia. :naughty: :naughty:

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I was browsing the Emerald Cuts & Asschers thread and saw one that was .52ct and I would still see that effect and pattern that I love so much... so I was thinking ideally .75-1ct but .5 might do as well.


I would lOVE a 6ct asscher!! :naughty:
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,955
Amys Bling|1307892704|2944059 said:
kenny|1307892114|2944052 said:
Amys Bling|1307891219|2944039 said:
Kenny- to enjoy the hall of mirrors effect that many seek when getting an asscher...
In that case the cut off size will vary with the person's near vision.
If someone held a gun to my head to make me guess a range I'd guess 0.5 to 1 ct for the vision most people have - either not needing glasses or with their glasses on.

If I took my glasses off the minimum asscher in which I could resolve the hall of mirror effect would be maybe 6 ct or so. ;(
Maybe I need to get together with Phoenix, who is planning on getting a 6-ct Octavia. :naughty: :naughty:

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I was browsing the Emerald Cuts & Asschers thread and saw one that was .52ct and I would still see that effect and pattern that I love so much... so I was thinking ideally .75-1ct but .5 might do as well.


I would lOVE a 6ct asscher!! :naughty:

Oh but you can't judge this by pics.
You have to see them live to evaluate the size threshold for YOUR eyes.

Plus the 3-D hall of mirrors effect is never visible in pics of even the largest asschers.
It can only happen live with two eyes connected to the same brain.
Even a video cannot capture the full effect since a video camera has only one lens and you look at the same screen with both eyes.
 

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
10,100
Totally depends on how good your vision is. My .71 is a 5m asscher, and with the beveled edge of the bezel + my perfect vision (not bragging :Up_to_something:, btw) and small fingers make the ability to have a "small asscher" a win.

I imagine as I get older and my eyes start to fail, there's a compelling upgrade argument in that. :naughty:
 

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Messages
691
Amy, are you hoping to upgrade it one day? I know you have mentioned getting one a few times. It seems you really want it so start where you feel comfortable and go with a good vendor. (I know you know all this but I feel like you might be talking yourself out if it and I would hate for that to happen!!)

I hope you end up getting one!! :)) :))
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
lbbaber|1307905141|2944164 said:
Amy, are you hoping to upgrade it one day? I know you have mentioned getting one a few times. It seems you really want it so start where you feel comfortable and go with a good vendor. (I know you know all this but I feel like you might be talking yourself out if it and I would hate for that to happen!!)

I hope you end up getting one!! :)) :))

I have been talking about it for a while because I really do want one!!!! AHH! lol. I do think getting one through a vendor with a good upgrade policy is cue... do you think my FI will notice the asscher growing???? lol :naughty:
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
I had 2x .50ct ECs at one point and thought they were very pretty!
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Dreamer_D|1307917721|2944266 said:
I had 2x .50ct ECs at one point and thought they were very pretty!

I remember seeing pictures of that Ering! It was beautiful!
 

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Messages
691
Amys Bling|1307909545|2944201 said:
lbbaber|1307905141|2944164 said:
Amy, are you hoping to upgrade it one day? I know you have mentioned getting one a few times. It seems you really want it so start where you feel comfortable and go with a good vendor. (I know you know all this but I feel like you might be talking yourself out if it and I would hate for that to happen!!)

I hope you end up getting one!! :)) :))

I have been talking about it for a while because I really do want one!!!! AHH! lol. I do think getting one through a vendor with a good upgrade policy is cue... do you think my FI will notice the asscher growing???? lol :naughty:

Ha! My ering could double and my DH wouldnt notice--he's OBLIVIOUS when it comes to things like that :lol: A slowly growing asscher---sounds dreamy! Good luck, I do hope it works out for you! :)
 

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
1,647
A friend just got engaged and had about a .5-.6 carat asscher and it was beautiful! I loved it. Sparky, could totally see the windmill and the steps -- I loved it!
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
megumic|1307921597|2944311 said:
A friend just got engaged and had about a .5-.6 carat asscher and it was beautiful! I loved it. Sparky, could totally see the windmill and the steps -- I loved it!

Thanks for this post- makes the idea of a .50ct asscher sound better and better!
 

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
1,647
Amys Bling|1307921852|2944314 said:
megumic|1307921597|2944311 said:
A friend just got engaged and had about a .5-.6 carat asscher and it was beautiful! I loved it. Sparky, could totally see the windmill and the steps -- I loved it!

Thanks for this post- makes the idea of a .50ct asscher sound better and better!
I have a lovely 2.7 carat cushion but when I saw her asscher, I was slightly envious! I think asscher cuts are not for everyone, but they are so different that I think they are an absolutely stunning cut regardless of size!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top