shape
carat
color
clarity

can a quote be TOO low?

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
ok, here's the deal. i just went to meet with the florist. (fyi, we have one florist in town; so it's either this or diy.) i showed her my inspiration pics, explained in as many details as possible what i wanted, gave her flower names, etc. she gave me a ball park figure of what we were going to be looking at (she's double checking prices w/her wholesaler before giving me the final quote) and it's WAY, WAY less (like only 25% of my floral budget) than i had figured. and let me say, what i had budgeted for florals was pretty bare-bone to begin with. so, i think maybe she doesn't "get" what i want. idk :confused: :confused: :confused: when i look up prices on, like, 50flowers.com i get a price that is AT my floral budget. granted that's probably more stems than i need b/c our wedding is pretty small. but they have the exact blooms i want. should i just go with the florist and "risk" it or should i try to go diy bouquets & centerpieces?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why not just ask her for details (in writing) on what exactly her quote will include? That way you'll see exactly what she's thinking - and if she does indeed 'get it'

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
If she's coming in that low, can you ask her to produce a sample centerpiece for you? That will give you as to whether or not you're truly on the same page, and if she IS on the same page, it won't really have a huge affect on your budget. If you're not on the same page, you can use it as a way to hopefully better describe your vision, and even if it doubles her quote, you're *still* under budget!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Or is she quoting you on just one centerpiece?

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
Or is she quoting you on just one centerpiece?

LOL, no we discussed the total number of bouquets, centerpieces, etc, she wrote it all down, looked the page up and down and said, "well, i'm thinking $ for all of this." there's one flower price she's not sure on, so she's double checking that for me in the morning.

yssie & vc10um, those are both great ideas. i think i might do both. plus it'd be nice have a sample of my centerpiece in the house for a few days :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: do people do this? or will she think i'm totally weird (i'm not that concerned)??

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of flowers are you using? Some are much cheaper than others! I was amazed at the price difference between flowers that had somewhat similar looks, but vastly different availability and hardiness.

ETA: Sample centerpiece is not a bad idea, but don't you usually ask for samples after you've already established a business relationship with the florist? Oh well, it can't hurt to ask! The worst thing that happens is she says no, and if that's the case then maybe you could just ask her to do a quick sketch of what she's thinking you want.

coco3

Rough_Rock
Wedding prices can be regional, so maybe you are in a less expensive part of the country? The online price probably has to be more of a national average of prices since it is accessible to all people at all times. Also the time of year you are doing your wedding can lower your cost, while online prices might be the same year around. That could be part of it

If she is "the only game in town" then surely you know someone who has used her for another wedding or event? I would suggest asking for referrals if you do not and then asking if those people mind sharing what they asked for and the price they paid and see how that compares to your expectations and what you are pricing online. Maybe she just is reasonable and you can allocate that money somewhere else! But I think you're right to check and not to be disappointed on the big day.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
ts44 said:
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of flowers are you using? Some are much cheaper than others! I was amazed at the price difference between flowers that had somewhat similar looks, but vastly different availability and hardiness.

ETA: Sample centerpiece is not a bad idea, but don't you usually ask for samples after you've already established a business relationship with the florist? Oh well, it can't hurt to ask! The worst thing that happens is she says no, and if that's the case then maybe you could just ask her to do a quick sketch of what she's thinking you want.

we are using roses & ranunculus in the bouquets (with no greenery) and possibly garden roses. in the centerpieces, peonies (she's double checking the price on these), dahlias, and ranunculus. total of 4 bm bouquets, 1 bridal bouquet, 2 mom corsages, 10 centerpieces. idk, $250 seems way low to me? she's getting back to me with the final quote on monday, i'm expecting it to go up.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
coco3 said:
Wedding prices can be regional, so maybe you are in a less expensive part of the country? The online price probably has to be more of a national average of prices since it is accessible to all people at all times. Also the time of year you are doing your wedding can lower your cost, while online prices might be the same year around. That could be part of it

If she is "the only game in town" then surely you know someone who has used her for another wedding or event? I would suggest asking for referrals if you do not and then asking if those people mind sharing what they asked for and the price they paid and see how that compares to your expectations and what you are pricing online. Maybe she just is reasonable and you can allocate that money somewhere else! But I think you're right to check and not to be disappointed on the big day.

i'm in california (granted not a large metropolitan area but still...) as for referrals, that's a great idea, only we haven't lived here too long & i can't really think of anyone to ask. maybe i'll just ask around a bit! thanks!!

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!! I need to move whereever YOU live!! Haha

$250 does seem very low for all of that - especially with peonies involved because that is what I'm using and they are pretty costly. Our floral price (in FL) came to just over $1400. Granted, we had a few more things than yours (ceremony decor) but not enough to warrant a $1150 difference! Wow!

Have you seen work she has done? Remember the old adage, "you get what you pay for".

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
turboflgrl said:
Have you seen work she has done? Remember the old adage, "you get what you pay for".

i haven't seen her other work b/c we just haven't lived in the area long. (oh, you made me think though, maybe she has pics of other weddings she's done. surely, right? i'll ask monday.) and the second part is what i'm so worried about. part of me says, it's so little money though, do i really care that they might not be perfect. another part says, i need to order the *exact* flowers i want (which would be more than $250) and do the arrangements & bouquets with the help of my bridesmaids (who have offered their help). idk :confused: :confused: :confused: i'm still pulling my hair out a bit over this choice.

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Definitely check on her previous work and let us know what happens! She should have something available for you to look at. Our florist had albums and books full of her previous work for weddings and other gatherings. Personally, I wouldn't book without seeing previous work - no matter how good the cost.

As far as DIY'ing the bouquets, make sure that you really want to do it. You'll likely be sitting up the day before if not the morning of doing it if using fresh flowers so they won't wilt (some like hydrangea wilt VERY fast). I was originally going to DIY our centerpieces but opted not to because I'd rather relax and enjoy the day than worry about the stuff I made or have to make. But it all comes down to what would make you happier.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
just wanted to wrap up this thread with an update. after much hemming & hawing between going with the florist or trying to DIY, i decided to go with the florist. she showed me some of her previous work, which is not over the top spectacular but not horrible by any means, and i'm not asking for anything elaborate. and really, the price was too good to turn down. for me to DIY and order flowers/supplies myself, i was looking at around $500. she is doing my bouquet (2 doz garden roses), 4 bm bouquets (1 doz garden roses each), 2 mom corsages (spray roses), and 8 loosely arranged mason jar centerpieces (this is a little t.b.d., i know it will have dahlias & something with the "look" of peonies) for under $300. to me, if it's not exactly what i have pictured in my head, i need to let it go. i didn't really give two craps about flowers (other than my bouquet) months ago, why let myself get in a tizzy & stressed our trying to care for and arrange them the week/days before when i wouldn't even be saving money? (the answer is because i think i can do it and so that i can control it; but..."let it go." i just keep repeating it over & over. and if you're asking, why yes i am completely nutso, i think :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: )

anyways, thanks to all of you who chimed in with your advice/opinions. it really did help me weigh out this decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results