shape
carat
color
clarity

Camping Food

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
We''re organizing a summer camping trip with some other families and I need help with figuring out what type of meals we can make. Usually my parents come with us
31.gif
and they take care of the food. We will have a little camp stove and the simple grills that come with the campsite.

Any ideas for breakfasts, lunches or dinners?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Do a search on camping food/ foil packs. I just did one the other day and it worked great. Here is what I did (this was for 2 people). You can use whatever veggies you like.

2 sausage
2 carrots
about 1 cup broccoli
onions

Cut the sausage and all the veggies. Place into foil pack (I did one for each person, the smaller packs are easier to flip). Put on grill, for 10-15 minutes. Flip once (use tons and a spatula so you won't rip the foil). Remove from grill, open, enjoy.

You can also do baked potatos on the grill. To save time, I slice them, and place them in foil packs too. I slice them pretty thin, than drizzle them with olive oil, salt. You can add onions too. I put them in small foil packs and than grill them for about 20 minutes. I flip them every 5 minutes.

Don't forget smores.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
We went camping recently with some friends.

We had cheeseburgers with a smorgasboard of condiments for lunch and dinner! We never eat like that at home, so it was sort of fun. Grilled up the hamburgers (kept frozen in the cooler) on the camp stove and brought buns.

For breakfast we had scrambled eggs with fancy sausage. Sooooo good.

S''mores, of course.

Baked potatoes is a great idea.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH we go camping all of the time in summer. Our grandboys love it.

I am with the others that say scrambled eggs. We also make fried eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, fried potatoes, hash browns.

BBQ Chicken, hamburgers, steaks, pork chops, ribs, sausages, veggie burgers, turkey burgers. We even bbq, ham slices.

I make a pot of spaghetti. I make the sauce at home first and re-heat it on the stove. I have made a beef noddle dish too. I also make stir fries too. Slices of beef or chicken and stir fry the veggies. I also was a lot of veggies, sprinkle them with lemon pepper, wrap them in foil and place them on the grill.

Are you staying in a tent, trailer etc??

If you need more ideas let me know. Oh for lunch the boys love grilled cheese sandwich or hot dogs and even chili dogs ha.

loverocks

Shiny_Rock
I love camping but haven''t been for ages. All great suggestions so far. I would add a big pot of stew. I love to make stew when camping. Couple of cans of beef broth, a packet of stew mix (to thicken it), chopped onions, celery, carrots, potatos, and cubed beef. So easy to prepare and great for a chilly night. Yum.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 3:40:32 PM
Author: loverocks
I love camping but haven''t been for ages. All great suggestions so far. I would add a big pot of stew. I love to make stew when camping. Couple of cans of beef broth, a packet of stew mix (to thicken it), chopped onions, celery, carrots, potatos, and cubed beef. So easy to prepare and great for a chilly night. Yum.

Great Idea!!! I forgot about that one.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
We just went a couple weeks ago (and are planning to go again next weekend), and tried Batter Blaster for the first time. Its pancake/waffle batter in a can, sort of like whipped cream in a can. You just shake it up, and squirt onto your griddle/frypan, and you are good to go! I was a little skeptical, but it had actually been reviewed by Consumer Reports and tasted pretty good. The best part was how easy it was! No mixing, no bowl!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Eggs and sausage/bacon
Omlettes
Spaghetti
Sandwich stuff
Tacos
Taco Salad
Meat/Cheese Smorgesboard (sp?) (baguette, diced cheese, salami, etc.)
Chili Beans

Try to pick food with similar ingredients so you have to bring less with you. Plan on a leftovers night the last night to eat up whatever is left.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I go camping once or twice a year and do all my cooking over open fire --so much fun that way and keeps me busy while DH chops wood !

I boil racks of ribs and marinade in a good BBQ sauce, then we grill them over the fire. SO SO good & easy! I am not sure if that is the ''proper'' way to do ribs but it works b/c the meat is already cooked and ready to go and they end up falling off the bone!
I grill veggie Kabobs or corn on the cob with it and usually do a big thing of nachos (just place the chips on heavy-duty foil, add a bag of grated cheese and some veggies and let sit on a rack over a fire)

For brekkie i take a big skillet and scramble an egg, fry some ham and then toast some english muffins with a cheese slice and make an egg sandwich. For some reason these taste extra good over a fire!

lastly, my favorite dessert. My secret *deluxe* Smores (roasted using that thing meant for toasting bread over a fire--keep em together and toasts the cookie which is key!!)
A good sturdy butter cookie (we have a canadian brand that i like)
1 lrg Roasted coconut-covered marshmallow
Dark chocolate squares

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the great ideas!!!! I can''t wait for our trip!

I love hearing about your families'' favorite foods. You''ve all helped a lot.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love camping food!!!! Doesnt even the most simple thing taste sooooo much better when you are camping?! Bacon cooking outside in the morning, and coffee!
Nothing is better!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best camping dessert (next to s''mores) EVER-GirlScout Banana Splits:

make a foil "boat" (i.e., fold tinfoil to make a packet)
Slice a banana lengthwise and place in boat
add marshmallows, caramel squares, chocolate chips, peanut butter, or anything else you want to add
close up boat and place directly in the coals
When sufficiently hot, take out of the coals and eat alone or serve with ice cream

mmmmmmmmmmm yummy!

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 8:53:49 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Best camping dessert (next to s''mores) EVER-GirlScout Banana Splits:

make a foil ''boat'' (i.e., fold tinfoil to make a packet)

Slice a banana lengthwise and place in boat

add marshmallows, caramel squares, chocolate chips, peanut butter, or anything else you want to add

close up boat and place directly in the coals

When sufficiently hot, take out of the coals and eat alone or serve with ice cream

mmmmmmmmmmm yummy!

6.gif
Sounds AWESOME!!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smart and final used to (and I am assuming still does) have this great Santa Maria tri tip. It''s vacuum packed, so great for taking camping. We threw it on the grill with some potatoes in foil. When it''s done (there is a timer included in the meat), cut it up and serve with potatoes. You can do corn too, of course.

I actually started doing a great tri tip myself, so I stopped using the Santa Maria one.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
What we used to do when camping was divide up the meals so that each family was responsible for x meals, so if it was 3 days and 3 families everyone had to supply a breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Breakfasts - usually we would bring a homemade coffee cake and make up a fruit salad. There are also pancake mixes that come in little plastic containers and you just add milk or water to them and shake it up, the blueberry ones are very good.

Lunches and Dinners- Hot dogs, hamburgers, brats, basically any type of grilled meat is good. Also salads that can be made ahead... Pasta salad, just add the dressing when it is time so serve it, Jello salad this one is very good - http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1643,153166-227204,00.html

We would also have a entree salad a lot that was Romaine lettuce topped with a mix of corn, black beans, and green onion and then sliced grilled chicken. I can''t find the exact dressing recipe but it is very similar to this one http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cilantro_lime_vinagrete.html Make the dressing ahead and put it in a mason jar and your prep time will be pretty minimal. It is really good with garlic bread cooked/warmed over the fire or this bread http://www.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=2668 that can also be done over the fire. Sooo good!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results