shape
carat
color
clarity

Camera Lens for Diamond Pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 8:14:31 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 10/10/2007 7:01:39 AM

Author: stebbo

Date: 10/10/2007 6:49:08 AM

Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

That diamond is whispering:- clean me, please clean me

Is ''I''ve been waiting for it to rain'' acceptable?
If it were still in the ground it would be.
11.gif

And you edited.
25.gif
9.gif

Yeah, I initially pointed out that the shallow depth of field makes it look hazier because of the blurring effect within the diamond, but no excuses--I''m guilty--the crown and pavilion do need a good clean.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol I meant Gary''s post.

I didn''t see the other....
9.gif

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 3:55:08 AM
Heh if you feel like playing around with your Rebel and your two lenses, pop your 85mm on and then tape the 17-85 on to the end of it, but reversed. Like this:

Set the zoom to 17mm and you''ll get close to a 5x magnification at the sensor.

Here''s a shot from two of my lenses (neither are macro, no close-up lens either) with the 70-200mm attached @ 70mm, and the 17-35mm reversed @ 35mm

Wow,
6.gif
Stebbo, awesome! Thank you for your time and effort for the demonstration!!
I never even thought about connecting two lenses together, especially using the lens reversed! I played a little bit with my camera and lenses, but I was bit afraid of scratching the both lenses because the size of my two lenses is different. The filters are protecting them, but still I was very nervous. Ha, maybe I am a big chicken. Anyway it was my first time I looked through my lens from the opposite direction and it was very interesting..

Anyway the picture you took is great! It''s very sharp and clear! – that’s why we can see the ring needs to be clean,
2.gif
right? I cannot believe you did not use any macro lens. Your photo shows that a great picture can be taken with any equipments if a photographer is good!
36.gif

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 1:44:10 AM

Did i give you this link Moko?

http://www.ideal-scope.com/newsletters_issue008.asp

Thank you Garry, I had never looked into the news letter section, so posting the link here was very helpful! Otherwise,I would never found this. Thank you!! Now, I WANT "Expert Scope"!!
31.gif

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 1:45:25 AM
Author: strmrdr
Since you allready have a dslr a G9 would be a better option than the s5is if you want too step up from the 570is.

Or one of the SD series with IS if you want too go really small.

Strmrdr,

Thank you for your suggestion!! I have no idea about the main differences between G9 and S5IS.
All I know is: S5IS is less expensive and we can use regular batteries, but heavier than G9. The focal length in these two cameras is different. I guess I need to do more research before I jump on either one.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 11:56:40 PM
Author: Moko
...that’s why we can see the ring needs to be clean,
2.gif
right?

No, not really. The table is reasonably clean - I quickly ear-budded it with alcohol before the photo. Didn''t do the crown because I didn''t want cotton strands remaining. The main problem with this sort of macro photography is the extremely shallow depth of field. I''ve taken pictures of flies before where only part of their eye could be focus. So what you''re seeing in the photo is the table being in focus with the body of the diamond being out of focus, so it looks hazy. By focusing slightly deeper I could bring the pavilion facets into sharp focus and the diamond appears far less dirty.

It''s also not just a matter of stopping down the aperture either. At f/22 for example the image would show the aperture blades them self, leaving the image all black bar a small circle in the middle showing a portion of the subject.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 4:51:14 PM

Date: 10/10/2007 11:55:56 AM
Author: Ellen
lol I meant Gary''s post.

I didn''t see the other....
9.gif
Stebbo''s Aussie to Aussie comment is along the lines of the drought we have down under Ellen :)
Ahhh, thanks Gary, that comment makes ever so much more sense now!

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 3:45:17 AM

The main problem with this sort of macro photography is the extremely shallow depth of field. I've taken pictures of flies before where only part of their eye could be focus. So what you're seeing in the photo is the table being in focus with the body of the diamond being out of focus, so it looks hazy. By focusing slightly deeper I could bring the pavilion facets into sharp focus and the diamond appears far less dirty.

It's also not just a matter of stopping down the aperture either. At f/22 for example the image would show the aperture blades them self, leaving the image all black bar a small circle in the middle showing a portion of the subject.

phew, the macro photography is complicated business. Thank you, Stebbo!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results