shape
carat
color
clarity

Camera buffs / enthusiasts - advice for DSLR purchase?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane|1305032310|2917254 said:
Thanks BEG for this followup and for looking up extra lenses for me!
It seems like there is a lack of product in the lens market between the el cheapo's and the $450 range ;( It seems like you and I are seeking very much the same answers!

I'm lucky to have a friendly and knowledgeable staff in my local camera store - today I played with the T2i with both the 18-55 kit lens, plus the lens that was recommended to me based on what I initially want to use the camera for (travel / general walking around / people / scenery) - the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 was strongly recommended. Hopefully you can look into this for your general use too..? It is also touted as a 'versatile, all in one travel lens' in DP review, which made me feel confident the recommendation was accurate. It is about $450 here, but it seems like photog equipment is a lil cheaper for you guys stateside so you could likely get it for less.
To me I could see a reasonable difference in image quality switching between the two, plus I know I will have fun with the 11 x zoom on the sigma (at least to my eye, the pictures at max zoom looked good). I find the limited zoom on the 18-55mm quite frustrating, tbh.

One of the guys in the store who owns the T2i couldn't speak higher of the 'nifty fifty' lens, especially for the price - he reckons he uses that a whole lot, so it seems that is the general consensus for sure :))

I'm glad to hear another user POV on the swivel screen - the camera shop guys seemed to think it was a waste of dough.. *shrugs*

Ugh, I know - if only there were great lenses for cheaper!

So I looked up that Sigma, and it might be a good bet for you depending on what you're using it for. It's a superzoom lens, so you might actually be able to do some macro stuff on it (that you wouldn't be able to do with your 18-55 kit lens).

The two I posted (I did more research last night) are less of a super zoom and more of a landscape/portraits/walkaround lens. The 17-50 is wider angle, better for landscapes, and actually that's the one I'm leaning towards because I do more landscape photography than anything else with the DSLR. The 28-75 is longer and better for portraits, I believe, but I prefer the 17-50 because of the wider angle lens, and because I can always crop the photo to get it closer so that lack of range on the 17-50 isn't as big a deal (let's hope I am remembering what I read correctly and I'm not sounding like an idiot to the photo experts here :) ).

The Sigma I like because of the added zoom and if you're thinking to take jewelry pics with the DSLR without yet getting a true macro, I would say this sounds like a good bet.

So out of your three options, I would do #2 (if you plan to use this camera for jewelry stuff) or #3 (I actually give an edge to #3 regardless) because the kit lens will be fine for most of your daily photo stuff, it gives you a good base to work off of, the Nifty Fifty is truly a great and cheap lens and you can do a lot with it even though it's a prime lens, and with those two in your kit, you can always add more specialized lenses later (an ultra-wide prime for landscapes, or a dedicated macro prime for jewelry). And the 18-55 + 50mm gives you a solid and relatively cheap base to start with while you figure out exactly what you will be shooting with your DSLR, and then choose additional lenses accordingly. So my vote is #3 actually.

Finally, the swivel is super nice and I like it because on my G11, it protects the screen, but if that's the major different between the two bodies, I don't think it's worth the price.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thank you soocool for your opinion.

And especially thank you to BEG for your long posts and lots of help in this thread - I did read your last post, my apologies I haven't had the time to respond just yet.

So - Update! For BEG, and for everyone else who helped me in this thread - I didn't go with the 550D or the 600d Canon, I went in a completely different direction..the SONY SLT-A55 !!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: link

There were many reasons I ended up choosing the Sony over the more 'traditional' Canon or Nikon - the main ones being the exciting new translucent mirror technology which Sony are first to use - this technology means that in an entry-level priced camera, it can capture 10 fps and can record full HD video with quick autofocus. It also performs very well in low lighting situations, and is smaller and lighter than the Canon's (smaller girl hands, lol).

But the main reason I purchased this camera over a Canon was because of Jon W of GOG :D I was just about to plonk down my cash, when I thought I better contact my mate Jon and ask which Canon I should get, knowing he is a photo geek (sorry Jon ;-) and has always been a big Canon guy. When I asked - 550 or 600d, surprisingly, the email came back emphatically - SONY A55!! Turns out this camera impressed Jon so much, he had switched teams...selling off all his canon gear and lenses, and starting again with Sony.

Even though I was initially hesitant - Sony over Canon?? - I did my research, tried both in person a number of times, and eventually came to understand why Jon was so excited about this camera. It does some incredible things at an entry-level price, that if you wanted in a Canon or Nikon you would be looking at pro-level prices ::)

A really cool feature I can't wait to experiment with is the Auto HDR - see some amazing examples of HDR photography by searching in google images..

After pricing literally every single store in Australia, I found I could not get this camera with the walkaround zoom lens I really wanted, without spending about twice my budget.
Thankfully, Jon was kind enough to guide me to an incredible NY camera store, where I could get the A55 body and this lens, for practically the same cost as the body and one kit lens here in Australia :!: :appl:

My purchase should be here any day, and I seriously can't wait to take it on holiday and play around with every function and feature.

I just want to say thanks to my friend Jon for answering all my many questions, and being my semi-photography-mentor, lol :D I'm super happy I thought to consult him before making my purchase decision.

And to all the Canon owners - please don't get me wrong, I would have loved to own a Canon. Like anything else, there are advantages and disadvantages with either choice (for example, Canon seems to have a larger range of lenses to choose from).
My partner's sister has the 550D and whenever I'm around she can't get it back from me :bigsmile:

The Sony was just the right choice for *me* - and I greatly encourage any other folks considering entering the world of DSLR photog to add it to your list of options.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
AJ, great news!!!

I checked out your links and the camera seems really really cool. I can't wait to see your pics with it (although your pics even without a DSLR have always been amazing).

Also really cool that you were able to talk about it with Jon (what a great guy, btw).

I'm stalking the Canon photography forum and ebay for deals on lenses.... I want a great landscape lens before I head off on my road trip to CA!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1306795478|2933995 said:
AJ, great news!!!

I checked out your links and the camera seems really really cool. I can't wait to see your pics with it (although your pics even without a DSLR have always been amazing).

Also really cool that you were able to talk about it with Jon (what a great guy, btw).

I'm stalking the Canon photography forum and ebay for deals on lenses.... I want a great landscape lens before I head off on my road trip to CA!

thanks BEG!
I just got it yesterday morning, and despite my cold, had to set everything up and shoot for a couple hours ::)
I'm going to get the sony equivalent of the nifty fifty next, than a macro lens I reckon..
I love the way the Sony performs in low light, and the fun features like HDR & sweep panaroma.

And yup, Jon is just the best!!! He's helping me with everything.

here's a couple from yesterday..pretty average, but plan to get better! :wavey:

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results