shape
carat
color
clarity

Came home from Vegas to a not so nice suprise from our cat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Dont you just love cats? They do like to show they are unhappy, anxious, sad whatever by peeing on things. I left my cat home for 5 days when we went to Hawaii. I did however have my MIL come in to check on her every day. My cat, who normally only likes her immediate family was happy to see my MIL & even let her touch her which is crazy. She never lets anyone except us touch her & hides when folks come over.

My cat used to pee on things when she was younger. Example: We had always let her sleep in our room at night but when she started bed hogging we decided she need get the heck out of our bed. She would meow outside the door, stick her feet under the door, jump up the door etc.. When she got tired of that she would pee right in front of our door the friggin brat. She also would rip huge holes (chewing/scratching) in our carpet. Even after I got her declawed she still managed to destroy the carpet. Alas, 6 years later she is more mature & mellowed out. She still meows under the door but doesnt pee on the carpet.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
VA- doesn''t it break your heart when you see their little paws peek under the door? It is so sad. Ours do that if I close our bathroom door. Our older one must think there is a secret door in there and I am going to sneak out or something. She LOVES being in the bathroom with really much anyone (even friends who visit, who I think get a little freak out about it)

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
I have experienced this issue too: On a brand new leather couch... I tried everything to remove the odor, and was about to throw out the cushions and purchase new ones. Then I found this product:

http://www.odorxit.com/

It completely removed the smell, and the cat hasn''t gone there (or anywhere) since. It has also seen me through 2 puppies, I am impressed..

For materials I can wash, I use a capful in the final rinse water, this elemintes the odor.

When we have pets, accidents are bound to happen. We''re currently not experienceing any issues. YEA!

Hope all is OK with the cat, but it is a behavior they so when left alone.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori, I love the Company Store too! I know this is getting off topic, but they have the best stuff! AND I''m from WI too (not living there now)! We just bought a great palm tree quilt from CS, and also two great floor pillows for our two dogs.

Thanks for that link to the cat pee odor remover! I have used OUT, which is a product from Wal-Mart to remove cat pee odors. That works pretty well too.

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info on The Company Store - they look like they have some nice comforters so I may get one of those. I''ll have to try that odor remover too.

As for the cat, he is doing a lot better. I think just as most everyone said, he really was not happy we went away for a weekend.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
EF- No problem. I am glad that your cat is feeling better. Let us know how it goes.

Lizz- I know! We have been buying from them for years! They have so many feathers and we always get the medium warmth. I cannot imagine how thick the heavy weight would be. I no longer live in WI either but my parents are still in Milwuakee. Every been to their outlet? So fun.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
My parents still live in Milwaukee too. I have never been to CS''s outlet (never knew they had one, until now). I will check it out when I visit there!
21.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 10:00:18 PM
Author: lizz
My parents still live in Milwaukee too. I have never been to CS''s outlet (never knew they had one, until now). I will check it out when I visit there!
21.gif

How funny! Sorry DF to change the subject at hand. Did you grow up there? We just got married there.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, born and raised there. And you?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom was. I lived there from age 5-14 (Northshore area) and then they moved back when I was in college. Do you have a good appraiser there? My mom NEEDS lots of stuff looked at.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori, it breaks my heart for maybe a minute, but after that I whip out a water gun and squirt her feet. Water bottles/gun are great when kitties are being naughty works like a charm
9.gif
. My cat used to enjoy peeing in my house plant well, that was squashed real quick. I just propped the water gun up in the pot & she never again went near it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2006 3:54:55 PM
Author: VegasAngel
Tacori, it breaks my heart for maybe a minute, but after that I whip out a water gun and squirt her feet. Water bottles/gun are great when kitties are being naughty works like a charm
9.gif
. My cat used to enjoy peeing in my house plant well, that was squashed real quick. I just propped the water gun up in the pot & she never again went near it.

Oh we use a spray bottle with water in it. Works great but a water gun sounds like it would be more fun! Our female knows it by sight and is smarter so she will run away. Our male either tries to fight back by slapping it or just stays there until we spray him a few times and runs off very wet
20.gif
so silly!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori, sorry, I don''t know of any appraisers in the Milwaukee area. I have never used an appraiser there.

Ooooh, a thing that works great to keep cats out of houseplants is to put lava rock in the pot. This enables you to still water your plants, but the kitties don''t like the feel of it under their feet. They won''t get in anymore.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My cats had UTI without all of the classic litter box UTI behaviors. They threw up, pooped, were listless, etc. but still had elevated white count and UT inflammation. Antibiotics fixed that.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 12:59:28 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
VA- doesn''t it break your heart when you see their little paws peek under the door? It is so sad. Ours do that if I close our bathroom door. Our older one must think there is a secret door in there and I am going to sneak out or something. She LOVES being in the bathroom with really much anyone (even friends who visit, who I think get a little freak out about it)
Haha... I SO know what you mean about freaking out visitors.
9.gif
But what IS it about cats and bathrooms?? Maya gets super-excited at the prospect of somebody turning the sink water on for her, but even when she''s not interested in having a drink, if one of us heads in that direction... she sprints in at full-speed to beat us there. Or if I somehow get there before her noticing, next thing I know there are little feet under the door.
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My parents have had Siamese as long as I can remember - I''d get a couple too if my bf wasn''t so allergic.

They are rather neurotic on the whole and all of them punish you if you go out and leave them alone. You still get punished if you have more than one cat - but it tends to be more anger and less real stress.

I find that the boys are the worst for being stressy and for peeing on things.

My advice would be to try getting yours a friend. They will be horrible to each other for 48hrs, then should be great friends, I have only met 2 siamese that would like to be only cats.

My mother gives one of hers Bachs Rescue Remedy in his water and he is a lot less stressed. The vet recommended it as she thought he was a bit depressed.
26.gif

bex891

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 5:02:54 AM
Author: Lorelei
Please don''t think I was attacking you Emeraldfan, I assure you that isn''t the case. You asked for opinions and as an experienced cat owner and having been '' owned'' by a Siamese I was giving you my opinions.

I think 3 days is too long to leave a cat unsupervised. A cat needs checking on at least once a day and preferably twice - sickness can happen quickly, any gastric disturbances can lead to dehydration and death rapidly, a cat can get into trouble in countless ways with accidents etc. Thank goodness those of you who have left a cat alone for this length of time have been lucky that the cat has been fine.

Also Siamese cats are different in my opinion to many other breeds. They are very emotional, needy, loving, and very people oriented - they pine easily, especially if they think they have been abandoned. This may have been why your cat was toileting on the bed to show his disapproval, but it is always best to check with a vet to be on the safe side. I lost a cat very quickly this year to kidney failure, in some cases if these diseases strike and they are caught early enough much can be done. That is why I will always say to see a vet to be on the safe side.

Siamese cats are not the easiest of cats to have in my opinion, rewarding though they are, they do seem to need more parenting in some instances than some other cats. Maybe it would be best if next time you go away, you could get a friend or family member to sit or visit with him? This is what I had to do with my Siamese, in this way he was happy if I had to be absent for any length of time.
I wasn''t trying to have a go at you either. But as Lorelei has pointed out, a lot can happen in a few days left on their own. To be fair to the animal, you really do have to make provisions for them, if you plan to be away from home.

Bex

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results