shape
carat
color
clarity

Camcorder recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been researching to find a good camcorder in the $300-$500 range, but after reading reviews and looking for information I think I''m more confused than when I started. I''m leaning towards the ones that use mini DV tapes.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, no one has a camcorder?

I''m dying to get one. But I''m also kind of thinking maybe the technology is changing and it would be better to wait, but then I want to capture things now.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are looking to buy one too. I hate that there are no home movies of my siblings and me when we were growing up. I vowed to have a camcorder for my children. I have my FIL researching them and will share the results if he ever gets around to it. It is SOOO confusing. I thought maybe the digital (no tapes) were good. Not sure if they plug into the TV but we have a DVD burner so we can transfer them that way. I''ll update this thread when I have more info.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 12:30:28 AM
Author: VegasAngel
We have a Sony DCR-SR100 camcorder. I''m not electronics savy at all but it/was really easy for me to use. Here is a link if you want to check it out http://www.adorama.com/SODCRSR100PL.html
nice camera but at 800 more than the stated budget.
problem with hard drive cameras is that you have to move the data off to a computer or dvds instead of just changing tapes.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Vegas Angel & Strmrdr! I found the Sony DCR-SR100 for under $600 on line, and I'm going to talk to hubby about upping the budget a little. The Canon also looks interesting but since we do shoot indoors a lot, I'm worried about low light situations. I'm thinking during the winter holidays -- we spend an awful lot of time indoors during those occasions and it's when it's darkest and days are shortest, and of course that's when we really want to record. I also want to record at the pool, etc., so portability is also important. I like image stabilization, too!

Tacori, I'm still interested in what your FIL has to say. I'm probably not going to buy until mid-June.

ETA: There's also a DCR-SR200 for the same price. But I'm a little confused about the DCR-SR100 -- it says it is a PAL recorder -- isn't that a European format? Huh, I'm ASSUMING, probably erroneously, that we're all in the US. I did not find the DCR-SR100 on the Sony site, so I'm guessing it is the recent, but not current model.

Thanks for your help, because all the different media types, format types, etc. are a little confusing. I was thinking we needed to go mini DV, but I never really checked into the hard drive media. I would not have considered it before you made your recommendations! Thanks!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
As I think Storm mentioned, Canon Elura 100. You can get products at great prices at B&H photo. www.bhphotovideo.com

I did a lot of research when buying something in this price range for a friend. The Canon got rave reviews for an all around good camera in that price range. Considering that I work for a competitor, it probably says something that I bought a Canon. I also own a Canon digital camera.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 2:29:22 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 5/29/2007 12:30:28 AM
Author: VegasAngel
We have a Sony DCR-SR100 camcorder. I'm not electronics savy at all but it/was really easy for me to use. Here is a link if you want to check it out http://www.adorama.com/SODCRSR100PL.html
nice camera but at 800 more than the stated budget.
problem with hard drive cameras is that you have to move the data off to a computer or dvds instead of just changing tapes.
Which is exactly why we bought it. who wants to deal with tapes? You have them rewind them, they break etc... Plus with most hard drive camcorders you can tape longer I think ours is 7hrs? JVC makes a hard drive camcorder that is less. Our model is a year old BTW.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I''m waiting for when consumer HD cameras are reasonable....

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
My husband said that we can play what we recorded on the t.v. also with hard drive camcorders you can edit the clips on your computer and delete the clips you don't want make a dvd with menus customize a lot of things etc...

HD camcorders are expensive. Just like plasma t.v.'s, digital cameras etc.. their prices will go down.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Yes, TGal, the Canon digitals are really, really nice! I have one too and I love it. I will also check out the Canons when I go physically shop, which I''m also going to do before I buy.

Thanks again, everyone.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I bought our SONY ...what...DC 26 or so...about a year ago...then better rated, comparably, on CNET. Today, I think I''d be looking both at the named Canon, and this one even more. Not sure about media. But...I like about Sony, and this Canon it''s enhanced ability to take pictures in lower light environments. Also, this Canon DC 40 makes editor''s choice ratings on both the budget lists, and the home movie camcorder lists...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results