shape
carat
color
clarity

calling those with a creative decorative touch!! help!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
So we just wallpapered our bedroom (not my first choice, but since it is panelling, it is the best choice to cover up the lines...) and I am trying to decide what to put up behind the bed and I am not a good decorater, all though I want to be!! lol

I need some creative ideas :)

I won''t tell you what I am thinking until I get some feedback, so I don''t sway your thoughts...
here is a pic, but the room is still in progress, so keep an open mind!

thanks ladies!!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
close up of the wallpaper, I love it!

wallpaper closeup.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
the other walls are just a tan color, textured wallpaper.. and I am planning to change my dresser soon, probably to like a wardrobe style, taller and skinnier, to make a little more room in there... and a new light, lo!! it''s terrible!!!

bdsbfg.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sophie, I really like the wallpaper you chose. Is your headboard wood or fabric--I can''t quite tell from your pics but it looks like either a deep colored fabric or a cherry colored wood. Just wondering what sort of theme or look you''re going for overall...

The first thing that struck me was the wallpaper looks to me very tropical, and airy and light...I think I personally would choose some greens, as well as other natural colors to tie in with the wallpaper and general feeling of the room. From your white/beige duvet cover it seems like you favor neutrals already, I am thinking tropical theme wthout being resort/hotel room/ish, but maybe an orchid on a single shelf above your bed, or a simple piece of framed art above the bed? It''s tough not knowing exactly what you have in mind, but those are my "creative" thoughts, lol!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, Monarch, I was thinking the wallpaper leaned towards oriental with the grasscloth. We have a big oriental screen behind our bed. This is a bad pic but you can sort of see how it is........

cmsscreen.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 3:14:01 AM
Author: monarch64
Sophie, I really like the wallpaper you chose. Is your headboard wood or fabric--I can''t quite tell from your pics but it looks like either a deep colored fabric or a cherry colored wood. Just wondering what sort of theme or look you''re going for overall...

The first thing that struck me was the wallpaper looks to me very tropical, and airy and light...I think I personally would choose some greens, as well as other natural colors to tie in with the wallpaper and general feeling of the room. From your white/beige duvet cover it seems like you favor neutrals already, I am thinking tropical theme wthout being resort/hotel room/ish, but maybe an orchid on a single shelf above your bed, or a simple piece of framed art above the bed? It''s tough not knowing exactly what you have in mind, but those are my ''creative'' thoughts, lol!
That''s exactly what I thought of too! I ditto monarch.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thanks ladies for the suggestions, it really helps!

The headboard is fabric and it is a deep purple. (IT''s from Ikea).
I also have a gold colored duvet that I may put back on there, it is just a touch warmer than that beige one, and yes, I do tend to go towards neutrals... mostly bc I don'' t know what else to do, and I find it easier/cheaper just to buy a couple accent pillows to change things up.

I was thinking about putting up a swag thing, not a mosquito netting, but with like a decorative sconce or something and then some fabric from it....

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
bump,
for any more ideas?? please?
thanks!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Your wall paper is interesting. I like the texture. I agree with what others said about tropical or oriental themes would work with that.

It looks like not all your walls are wallpapered, have you considered painting the other walls a shade of purple...a darker medium color in the same general shade as your headboard only a bit lighter (but not lavendar?). I think your wallpapered wall and the headboard would really pop then.

It seems you need some vertical lines in your room. The horizontal wallpaper plus the low headboard makes the room seem low to me. How about some artwork or mirrors to break up the walls? Something with purple in it?

How about an accent color if you have purple and gold going on maybe black or sage green? Throw pillows that tie all 3 colors together?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for all of the good ideas!

See, I wouldn''t have thought about all of the horizontal lines plus the low headboard, that is why it is good for me to ask all of you!!

I know you can''t really tell in the pics, but all walls are in fact wallpapered. The other walls are a cream textured wallpaper as well (maybe I can take a closer pic to show you what I mean.)
I think the reason I chose such a light color is bc the room was all dark brown panelling and I really wanted to lighten it up.

I like all of the ideas about adding other accent colors to tie them all in.

I also think I am going to take off the closet doors and hang fabric inside, so I will choose a much darker color for that, maybe the purple.

thanks guys for the ideas, I am on my way out to shop so I will let you know if I buy anything!

For fun, I attached a "Before" picture, as we started to demo. it...i KNow it''s rough.

beforeanychanges.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
and another.....
oh the horror!!

unchangedandscary.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I didn't realize that all your walls were papered. Honestly, I wouldn't put a dark fabric curtains instead of closet doors. You don't want to draw attention to your closets.

I would probably recover my headboard and get the purple out of the room entirely. I'd choose a a color that blends with the walls or maybe even black. Then you have a neutral background for everything. Maybe get a comforter that has more color in it? A throw in your accent color (a soft sagey green?) folded neatly at the bottom of the bed with coordinating throw pillows?

What about mounting some of the shadow box frames from Target or Pottery barn on the wall and putting pillar candles in them? I could see 9 square ones over your bed...3 rows across by 3 rows down. You could really achieve that "Zen" look with the wallpaper and candles.

How about some poster size pictures (vertical orientation) of nature scenes? You could even take pictures of things you like and have them enlarged and printed on a snapfish.com or shutterfly.com.

Until you get the new dresser, I'd center it under the window. The high windows like you have are always challenging for window coverings but how about something softer than the blinds? that are up? If the dresser was centered you might be able to put curtains down the sides all the way to the floor...keep the blinds for privacy..the curtains would be stationary.

Just some ideas. Have fun.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with centering your dresser underneath the window...

Are you going to keep the existing duvet cover or use the gold colored one you mentioned? Also, I agree that recovering the headboard in a different color might help as well...unless you really like the purple and want to incorporate that into the entire room.

You really have a lot of options, I think your wallpaper choice is great. You could go either Asian/Zen or tropical/Sahara, really, or even tropical as in British/west Indies...

Is there a particular look you were going for when you chose the wallpaper? And what would you do differently with your dressers? You could certainly stain them darker/lighter to create more of a contrast...(just thinking out loud here), or you could paint them, although I hear that''s sort of a pain.

I actually like the idea of curtaining the closet, but will that be realistic and convenient for you? Also I agree with ID who said that a dark colored curtain would make the room seem smaller, so maybe something in linen or a linen look for curtain closures? Could you even remove the doors, put up a neutral colored linen curtain, and move one of your dressers into the closet area to create more space in the room?

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
hey..i really like the new wallpaper and it certainly beats the paneling that was there before! i always visit this website to get some ideas for around the house..its a window treatment site but has a lot of great pictures that can help inspire anyone..u can also find some great ideas for curtains etc...

this is the picture that i immediately thought of after i saw the pic of the wallpaper..the color of the blinds they on the windows is v. similar to the wallpaper color..perhaps u can use this as a start off point? oh and another thought, have u considered turning the bed around so that the 'window' is behind the headboard? which will free up a much longer wall to place the dresser/vanity perhaps? and also you can add a nice little plant in the corner of the room then?

The website is www.smithandnoble.com and the link to the photo gallery is:

Photo Gallery

bnd_901801.jpg

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Sophie-

What are you all wanting to replace in that room? The pic that MSB just posted is very pretty. It has alot of texture and it is interesting.

What is your budget? If you can, I would slipcover that headboard with linen of some kind. It seems like the headboard you have now looks like velvet, and it ''fights'' the theme of the wallpaper. With such a big wall, you could go with a taller headboard, or I like the idea of a room screen behind the bed for some added height.

I agree, that I would not call attention to the closet by adding curtains.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
sophie: wallpaper did wonders for that room. Much better than the paneling. I am in the middle of a bedroom project myself so i''ll share what i''m doing -- though tastes are so personal.

basically, i''m trying to decorate a vast space on the wall that is across from the foot of our bed. much like your area, just the opposite wall. my original idea was to stretch a piece of fabric, like a 5''x3''. then i saw this picture and like the idea. a lot.

swatchportraits-2.jpg

i like the variety, the patterns, the whimsy, the flexibility. However, instead of hoops, i sourced a great and affordable frame store and bought these lovely barnwood frames that look a little weathered. Last sunday, I measured out the wall space I wanted to cover and then divided it up with different size frames for a sort of planned, eclectic arrangement
2.gif
along the lines of this:

msl_aug06_org_art02.jpg

I then found a great fabric store and picked patterns that aren''t as bright as the inspiration photo, but that compliment the color of our bedroom. a sort of lovely pale blue. in a couple of weeks when everything arrives we''ll do the actual hanging.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would put a painting... I''m a huge fan of art. I have paintings on pretty much every available wall space except in the kitchen where I hang only prints. Maybe a series of 3 watercolors or sketches.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I would put a painting...

My project is basically a pretty space saver until we can afford proper paintings
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
After seeing that better shot of the headboard, I would not necessarily go tropical with greens but stay with beige, gold, and add some more purple in small doses in the room. That purple is an awesome accent color, but IMO it needs to be repeated a bit more to really make sense in all of the neutral. the darker gold would really look nice in there as well. I think a swag might be too incongruent, but a sconce that was some sort of tropical dark leaf motif could work. You could add green... green and purple can work well, just make sure you don''t go for a bright green... you need something to balance the tone of the purple.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i typically have problems posting pictures and notice the photo that inspired my bedroom decorating project is coming up as a red x. here''s another attempt...

luluwall project1.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Lovelylulu...those hoops are cool. I like how you can put your own fabric in them. If you don''t like circles you can stretch fabric in picture frames too.

I think linen curtains (neutral) instead of closet doors would be nice. The purple headboard is color-wise ok, you just need more accents then. Maybe some purple fabrics like lovelylulu''s project?

I''d definitely change to the more gold comforter.

You have an almost blank slate so it really just depends on where you want to go with the decor so it matches your taste.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
island - i''m doing an arrangement with frames.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thank you ladies SO MUCH for all of your EXCELLENT ideas!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I feel some inspiration and like I have some direction here :)

I have bought some neutral linen panels for inside the closets. I will post some pictures once we get them hung up there!

Well, also, we bought a large black square mirror and these two long metal sculpture looking things (hubby loved them) but we ended up hanging both of these things in our living room! lol

you all have such wonderful ideas, I am so thankful, and envious!! lol
I wish I could see the big picture. I guess the problem is I don''t know what look I am going for and that is, it seems to me, where you are supposed to start!

I will keep you guys updated as I add items, thank you so much!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sophie, that wallpaper looks SO MUCH better than that paneling!!!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thanks FG, I think so too! lol
this *is* the last room we have done anything to and basically since we have lived here, I have been pregnant twice so I have scrambled to do the other 2 bedrooms (also all panelling), our bathroom has been wallpapered (a nice texture) and we just redid our kitchen cupboards. This has all been over 3 yrs, but you get the idea.
Our room was always the "we''ll get to it when we get to it" room.

Well, now it''s time to get to it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sophie, I like your new picture in your avatar.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2007 5:01:00 PM
Author: Skippy123
Sophie, I like your new picture in your avatar.
Thanks!!
Too bad I can''t get it sized properly.
19.gif

Would you believe my 2 1/2 yr old son took that one? That and a few others where he missed my head in the pic, lol...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results