shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Snlee!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jend

Rough_Rock
Hi Snlee,

Oh, I absolutely LOVE your solitaire!! I''ve seen so many around and tried to explain to jewellers that I want a low setting (like just on my finger) - 6-prong - and they can''t seem to grasp it- they always make claims on why it needs to be set higher......

So - where did you get it? If it was from a local jeweller, how did you explain you wanted the low setting (as I don''t seem to be able to do this properly!) - and, can you please please show some more pictures of the setting up close?

Your diamond in that setting is absolutely beautiful - it looks HUGE!!!

And - if anyone else has some pics of solitaires in low settings, I would love to see them!!

Thanks SO much for your help!!

Cheers,
Jen

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jend-

Just so you know, for badly cut diamonds it IS important to set them up high. That's why many unscrupulous/uninformed jewelers will tell you that, because they are probably mostly selling inferior stones that need as much help as they can get!

You can set a well cut diamond any way you please and I personally wouldn't go to a jeweler who tries to tell me otherwise!

If you don't mind buying online I am sure Whiteflash would be able to help you design a setting that is exactly what you want. They seem to be very good at translating someone's ideas into a custom piece.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Crazy you should post this....but I was just thinking about how much I like 6 prong solitaires but I hate high settings! I hope you get some more info....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like low settings as well. I just don''t see the need to bump into it all the time and light performance is the same either way. I''ve gotten the same treatment with my setting with local vendors. I find myself using the phrase, "set the stone as low as possible" and they say, "you mean you want it nearly touching your finger?" and I say, "yes." They just don''t get it...and this is why I don''t use local vendors anymore.

jend

Rough_Rock
I'm still having problems with trying to get a low setting! Jewellers just don't seem to understand, I'm pretty clear on what I want and like, and they just keep showing me the same high settings, trying to explain why the high setting is so necessary to be strong enough to keep the ring band strong (I'm interested in a thin band).

I'm in Melbourne, Australia - but this low setting thing shouldn't be a "shocker" to the system I wouldn't think - what am I doing wrong in explaining what I want?

Thin bands seem to be a definite "no-no" out here - so frustrating!! I've been to places recommended as some of the best - still the settings are high!

More pics Snlee please!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Cheers,
Jen

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jen,

Is there any way you could just work with a PS vendor? I know many of them will ship overseas. If not, just bring in as many pictures as you want of BOTH types, in a side view. Showing both of them together might make them realize what you are talking about so you can explain accurately exactly what you want.

Another option is to try and get your hands on a designer ring from the US like ritani who makes really thin bands and has stones not set so high. Then just get your stone set there locally.

If those options don't work for you, I've got nothing. Sorry!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Sorry jend. I JUST saw this thread about a month too late! Other PSers have given you great advice. I got my ering setting from Derco in SF so that wouldn''t be an option for you but I''m sure many other jewelers have similar settings. I would try working with an online vendor willing to ship to Australia. This link contains a lot of my recent pictures. If you still want some more info or pictures, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results