shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Rockzilla - Cakes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey girl!

I just wanted to share some of our cake journey with you. We tasted at a number of bakeries (the ones that come to mind are Plusko''s in the Valley, Sweet Lady Jane on melrose, I think, and Rosebud on Robertsons) and none compared at ALL to Rosebud Cakes.

Taste-wise, Plusko''s was pretty good, but their variety was lacking, very limited selection, and they had one color of frosting: white. They didn''t do fondant, but we didn''t want that anyway. Since we wanted chocolate, they were automatically out.

Sweet Lady Jane... her cake tasted like wax. And the flavors were way too strong.

Rosebud has the most delicious, fluffy cake, and they have a great range of flavors. We said we wanted chocolate frosting, and they gave us a sample dollop to try with the cake flavors. The first time we went in, my husband couldn''t go (I was with my mom). He boxed up a range of samples for us to take home for him to try, and even gave us extra banana because I said that would be his favorite.

They had a color-coded-by-price design book, and the cakes ran from $4-15/person. You can pick something out, or design something custom. I found their complexity-to-price ratio to be very reasonable.

OH, if you pay for your cake in either February or July, you get a 15% discount. We did that. And they have delivery that seemed reasonable to me ($100 from Beverly Hills to Malibu Canyon).

Anyway, I''d recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat.

Here''s our cake:

museyweddingpropics035.jpg

museyweddingpropics037.jpg

museyweddingpropics040.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thing, we can go in on our first anniversary and they'll re-create the top tier for us free of charge! Which meant we got to eat the original top tier in our cottage on our wedding night
5.gif
yum!

I wish we could make it a yearly tradition, but they have a $300 minimum on all orders. Oh well.

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
Wow that is really sweet that you and your husband got to enjoy your cake that same night! I''ve known too many brides who were too overwhelmed at the reception to actually sit down eat a full piece of their cake - many who''ve totally regretted it!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
*bump* in case RZ didn''t see this.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Musey, for the info!! We have a tasting set up with this place:

http://www.asweetdesign.info/

Which comes highly recommended by our planner. I''m also thinking it might be less pricey b/c its in the valley rather than the westiside. Rosebud is also on our list to check out, and after that recommendation we will DEFINITELY have to try it.. I''ll try to set up a tasting soon and let you know how it goes.

Sorry you didn''t like Sweet Lady Jane. I''ve had their cupcakes and loved them, but maybe wedding cakes aren''t as good?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had planned to do a tasting at a sweet design before we went to rosebud... they''re supposed to be very good, and the people I emailed with were very friendly & nice! I''d love to hear what you think of them.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
So...we had our tasting at Rosebud today.

The good: Cake tasted really yummy. We really loved the flavors, and we even agreed on our favorite (white velvet). Price for the cake ($7/serving) sounded reasonable.

The questionable: The lady was a little crazy/eccentric. We had a specific design photo we showed her from a magazine (below) and she was enthusiastic but kept saying that they "blew it" by making the top of the cake too plain. She really wanted to add some "curly willow" and "chocolate twigs" and we weren''t totally sure what that would entail. They also wanted to charge $175 to deliver to our site, but they had another delivery in glendale around the time we''d need our cake (4:30-5) so they''d have to bring it way earlier. She also suggested if we had a friend with an SUV they could pick it up...no thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results