shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Pennquaker09!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Hello fellow design junkie! I had a question for you. I think I remember you saying that you worked for a builder. Did your builder use and install fake ceiling beams at all?

I have a rather cookie cutter Spanish Mediterranean house that could use some architectural interest and I was thinking fake beams might be my answer. I saw that there are several types and I think I would really only want to use the polyurethane ones (for price and weight).

If you are familiar, do they appear real? Could two-three people install them? Any thoughts appreciated!

P.S of course, if anyone else is familiar, please feel free to respond as well.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe in some parts of the country, but I worked for a cookie cutter/mass production builder. I can''t say that I remember a home with fake beams. However, with the price point of the homes that they build, I don''t think they would use polyurethane beams. Which, by the way, I am not familiar with. I''ll look them up and tell you want I think.

With the Spanish style, beams would be excellent. There was an episode of Rate My Space (on HGTv) that comes to mind. I think he had the carpenter build beams for a dining room (I think) and it was fab.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Well, maybe it''s just a common thing for the Southwest (San Diego).

Penn, Do you remember how the carpenter made them? Like a box perhaps? I''m still considering that but thought the weight would be too much and you could see the line. The ceilings are 20 feet so it would help to visually bring the ceiling down.

So, to share while I have this thread open. This is a house down the block with the exact same floor plan. I''m showing this one because they took a better picture of the space. I have a light colored pergo floor though (why ,oh why, didn''t they go dark?!)

similar living room.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Well that picture was a little big
7.gif

This is the opposite side of the room. This one''s my house though so you can see the floors. My house was a foreclosure and it needs lots of work but I have hope:)

h10phot11.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the beam idea on a different house. I won''t put this many beams in though.

someoneshouse.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
The design plan:

I'm going for an modern eclectic,tailored Spanish. I bought this painting but am rethinking it as it doesn't incorporate all the colors I want to use.

Colors: Grass green, persimmony orange, and navy blue so far:). The color on the walls will be a medium beige (like what you see in the picture below) and the brighter colors will be in the accessories.

Furniture: an off white sofa with clean lines. One tall armchair on the side of the sofa (upholstered in the orange shade) and the opposite side will have a bench. One round dark brown pedestal dining table with brown chairs (chairs to be changed down the road).

Lighting: Two lamps on the side tables(I'm a symmetry girl). I have a ugly iron chandelier that I will be evacuating possibly for a crystal chandelier or one of those circle chandeliers. Still undecided. I'll replace the tragic, most likely original frame lamp in the entry with something else still undecided.

Further architectural details: Crown moulding on all of the windows. I'm experimenting with the idea of a thick crown base boards (9in) but considering that the rest of the house won't have it because the ceiling heights are much lower, I'm not sure I should do it. What do you think?

Here's the pic of the art that I bought from Ballards. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it though.

WT263_1.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Maybe not this picture, but maybe a picture like this one that utlizes all of my colors would be better....

william-knight-huntsman-with-his-greyhounds.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results