shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Matata -- I've done some research on your glasses!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata, in the Daily Happy Hour thread you asked if I had any info on your beautiful glasses:

1593746890477.png

I had some ideas about them at the time, but I've kept an eye out hoping that I would come across better information -- and tonight I did! They were made by Libbey Rock Sharpe Glass Works.

Here is info from Replacements, Ltd.:

If you had to pick two words to describe Libbey Glass Company's offerings over the years, "diverse" and "prolific" would certainly apply. The company has delivered such a wide array of goods: cut glass, art glass, blown glass, inexpensive hand and machine ware, pattern glass, and glassware for the hotel and restaurant trades. The list goes on!

Of course, many of these products were partly a reflection of longevity - the firm dates back to 1818 when it was originally founded as The New England Glass Company of East Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Libbey name became associated with the company through changes of ownership; William L. Libbey and his son, Edward D. Libbey, purchased New England Glass in the late 1870's, moving it to Toledo, Ohio in 1888. The name of the company was changed to The Libbey Glass Company in 1892.

For over a 100 years, from about 1820 to 1920, cut glass was the principal product of New England Glass/The Libbey Glass Company. In fact, Libbey was one of the world's largest producers of cut glass during the early part of this century, employing over 200 full-time engravers in 1915, leaving behind a tremendous legacy of cut glass tableware, serving pieces, and items for the home, such as vases and lamps.

These products were fashioned from expensive lead glass and engraving was done using the demanding copper-wheel technique, which is the finest and most detailed kind of engraving. Many patterns and designs were made in sets of various sizes. Today, it is common to see examples of Libbey's brilliant cut glass products on display at museums.

In the 1920's, when the popularity of cut glass began to wane, Libbey's production shifted to inexpensive hand and machine ware. "Safedge Glassware" featuring a chip-resistant rim was introduced in 1924. The Libbey Company guaranteed customers "a new glass if the rim ever chips." This glassware helped Libbey become a top supplier of wares to restaurants and hotels.

Later, there were various attempts by Libbey to revive fine glassware. For instance, The Libbey-Nash line, which was introduced in the early 30's, featured 80 patterns of hand-crafted stemware, of Steuben-like quality. The series was designed by A. Douglas Nash, a former executive with Tiffany's in Corona, New York. The luxury line was priced from $15 to $2,500 a dozen.

In 1940, when Libbey Glass was an operating division of Owens-Illinois, Modern American was introduced. This line consisted of bubble-thin table services and decorative pieces in clear crystal and colors. It was the last hand-crafted glass made by Libbey. To publicize this series, Hollywood motion picture studios were supplied with full sets of the glassware. The 1940 movie "No Time for Comedy" with Jimmy Stewart has a formal table adorned with crystal in the Embassy pattern. Modern American was not made after World War II.

In the late 50's, Libbey's 1818 Line of machine made stemware was made to compete with hand-crafted patterns. 1818 Stemware was named for the year the company was founded. It consisted of automatically blown stems with the Safedge rims ground off. The bowls were cut with mitre-type designs. It was only offered for a short time in leading retail stores in major cities.

Also, in 1948, in a bid to further enhance Libbey's glass decorating capabilities, Owens-Illinois acquired the Cataract-Sharpe Manufacturing Company of Buffalo, New York, and made it a subsidiary known as Sharpe, Inc. The Cataract Company was a high quality cutting operation that decorated fine handmade stemware, tumblers and accessory pieces supplied by other firms.

For many years, Cataract-Sharpe had purchased blanks from the Libbey Glass Division of Owens-Illinois and decorated the crystal at its factory in Buffalo. Bryce Brothers Crystal and A. H. Heisey were other big suppliers of crystal for Cataract Sharpe in the 30's and 40's. The company made no glass itself.

The Cataract Company was originally formed in 1914 by Alfred H. Sharpe, who had been a manager at Fostoria Glass Company. Until 1920, the firm was known as Cataract Glass Company. Cataract-Sharpe cut many intricate, deep-cut crystal patterns. Many of the designs were ornately done and brilliantly polished. A fern-like leaf design was a very typical design for Sharpe and it appears in a variety of their cut patterns. It is important to note that the company's specific stem designs were not matched with any particular cuttings.

In the 30's and 40's, the company widely promoted its Rock Sharpe Crystal products in many of the major women's magazines. According to advertisements, the crystal was described as featuring "smart modern or rich period motifs." The stemware was sold at virtually every major department store in the country.

"Rock Sharpe was some of the best-selling stemware in America during that period," recalls Joanne Miller of Buffalo, New York, whose father, Andrew Cunningham, was vice-president of sales for Cataract-Sharpe in the 20's and 30's. "My dad also designed many of the Rock Sharpe patterns. He even designed a pattern for me." Miller says as far as she can remember, the company only decorated clear, not colored crystal.

The Cataract-Sharpe Company had extensive equipment for decorating and highly skilled cutters who employed advanced cutting and polishing methods. Until World War II, lead glass was used for Cataract-Sharpe's highest grade cut crystal glassware. The wartime shortage of lead glass temporarily intervened with Cataract's use of this product. All glass firms were required to cut back their production of glassware that was nonessential to the war effort.

After Owens-Illinois bought Cataract-Sharpe, Alfred Sharpe continued on as the President of Sharpe, Inc. R. W. Rogers, formerly a sales manager of the Libbey Glass Division of O-I, became vice-president and general manager.

In the late 40's and 50's, Sharpe, Inc. continued to produce patterns that had previously been made at Cataract-Sharpe. In addition, several new Sharpe patterns were introduced, including "Empire Wreath", "Spear and Ring", "Lattice" and "Bramble." Eventually, however, Owens-Illinois discontinued altogether the Sharpe cut crystal line.

The Libbey Glass Division is still in operation in Toledo, Ohio and has a modern plant in City of Industry, California that was built in 1962. The company is one of the world's largest suppliers of automatically-produced table glassware.

Source: Page, B.; Frederiksen, D.; A Collection of American Crystal A stemware Identification Guide for Glastonbury/Lotus, Libbey/Rock Sharpe & Hawkes; Greensboro, NC: Page/Frederiksen Publications; 1995

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *believe* the pattern is Halifax #3005. BUT I keep finding the Halifax identified as having a flower like yours, and also one with an open center.

Closed center:

1593748157844.png

Open center:

1593748332883.png

1593748274768.png

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not unusual BTW to have ambiguity in pattern identification for these pieces, especially since most of them have been discontinued and the glass works themselves long disbanded. Early in the spring I bought some pieces that were identified by the seller as a particular Cambridge Glass pattern, and they ARE indeed Cambridge, but are NOT the pattern that was named. I've also consistently seen two Fostoria patterns mixed up (June and Versailles) Not that I care about that in general as I buy these glasses because I think they're beautiful, but just showing that it's not THAT odd to have a lack of pattern certainty. I will keep looking for you though and see if I can get to a definite answer!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing... My original guess on the age of your glasses was maybe 1950s, but I think now I was off by a decade and that they are probably 1940s. Sorry about that! It's much easier to make an educated guess when you can actually feel them in your hand and look at the details for real.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is info from Replacements, Ltd.:
Good place to buy from.
I bought a complete set of dishes for my wifey4vr and I dont know how they made any money after the free shipping.
It was something like 8-9 very heavy boxes.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ermagerd @Dee*Jay I LOVE you, marry me. LOL. Thank you so very much for your research. My aunt inherited a house from spinster hard core Christian virgin sisters in the early 1980's and I found the glasses along with silverware and assorted jewelry wrapped in pillow cases and stored under the floor boards in the attic of the house the sisters died in. They were a bit loony at the time of their deaths and thought the devil was having sex with them while they slept and as a consequence they committed suicide. I was in my early 20's when they died and they were life long friends of my grandmother and I had known them since I was about 5 yrs old. I found the hidden goods accidentally when I was helping my aunt clear out their house after they died. Stepped on a squeaky floor board in the attic pried it up and found the glasses, silverware and OEC and OMC diamond rings and brooches that I had no appreciation for at the time so they were sold as part of the estate liquidation and I kept the glasses and some doo dads that appealed to me at that time. I am still kicking myself about the jewelry which I could have purchased, under the terms of the estate, for mere pennies ARRRGGGHHHH. But in my defense, I had no idea what I was passing up. Ignorance is bliss only if one stays ignorant.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have 4 of these which are a delicate rosy pink that doesn't show up well in pics.

pink glass.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good place to buy from.
I bought a complete set of dishes for my wifey4vr and I dont know how they made any money after the free shipping.
It was something like 8-9 very heavy boxes.

Stormy, I've never purchased from them, but I do find their site to be very good with the information. As for how companies make money after shipping -- that's a question I ask myself a lot! I mean, I order something from Home Depot, it shows up literally the next day, and it cost almost nothing to being with, plus I got free shipping... ???

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree the colors are hard to capture! Even in the happy hour thread I gave up most times as I couldn’t find the right light (plus I figured I was boring people to tears! :lol: ).

Here is the best I can do with a few pinks.

8DC11B92-021A-4C8F-9922-0F4256AE38BF.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for the jewelry you "gave up," don't kick yourself! Many of us have done something like that (or worse!) along the way. I won't even confess here the "thing" I did, it was SO stupid. To this day I still can't believe it...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results