color
clarity

Calling Lost Sapphire

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2010 10:41:31 PM
Author: Gailey
Hows tricks my friend?

I have news. Looks like you and I may be neighbours before the year is out. Mr G is being transferred to Ontario. Markham is where his office will be.

Right now the only glimmer of a positive vibe is that I will be closer to you and might be able to get a mangle! Everything else about it sucks big time.

I hope that monster is behaving himself. You can tell him from me that Gailey the monster slayer is on her way.

Thinking about you hon, you've been a might too quiet these last few weeks.

XXX
I tried tricks Gailey...never made any money at it.
3.gif

MARKHAM?!! GET OUT AND SHUT THE DOOR!! (Markham/Vaughan/Newmarket: the centre of Canadian suburbia....). You don't actually have to live IN Markham, there's LAND out there for gardeners. Really. Possibly a longer growing season for you too.

How exciting. Make sure your passport's up to date and we'll take a trip down to Detroit for a mangle.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 5:45:01 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Hows tricks my friend?

I have news. Looks like you and I may be neighbours before the year is out. Mr G is being transferred to Ontario. Markham is where his office will be.

Right now the only glimmer of a positive vibe is that I will be closer to you and might be able to get a mangle! Everything else about it sucks big time.

I hope that monster is behaving himself. You can tell him from me that Gailey the monster slayer is on her way.

Thinking about you hon, you''ve been a might too quiet these last few weeks.

XXX
3.gif

MARKHAM?!! GET OUT AND SHUT THE DOOR!! (Markham/Vaughan/Newmarket: the centre of Canadian suburbia....). You don''t actually have to live IN Markham, there''s LAND out there for gardeners. Really. Possibly a longer growing season for you too.

How exciting. Make sure your passport''s up to date and we''ll take a trip down to Detroit for a mangle.

LS
Me neither Losty!!

Yes, Markham! I''m glad you''re excited, you might have to be excited enough for both of us. I can see it''s going to be a tough up-hill road all the way until Christmas. I started work today (it''s nearly killed me!) and from May onwards I virtually work 7 days a week. Coupled with that, we are about to embark on a kitchen renovation that spreads it''s tentacles too most rooms on the main floor. It''s something we should have done years ago but Mr G. always dragged his heels (didn''t want to spend the money). Now we have to do it in order to make our house sale/rentable. Thing is, he''s likely to spend ever increasing amounts of time in Markham as time goes on, leaving me to try to get all of this done.

I''m thinking of two scenarios. Firstly we will live a commutable distance from Markham itself, or we will live fairly close by in something small and maybe rented so that we can have a nicer property, preferably on a lake (like I have now) that we can go to at weekends. A lot will depend on how far Mr Gailey is willing to commute I suspect. It will have to be an older property, not in a newer sub-development, and have between half and one acre of property for me to build my dream garden.

I''d like a Craftsman styled house with a large wrap around porch, with a rocking chair for my old age! I''ve found maybe one or two like that, with the tapered pillars at the front. Page upon page of newer houses on postage stamp sized lots. And as for an open wood burning fireplace, well they look about as rare as rocking horse doo-doo.

Still, I am sure it will all work out in the end. I hope we end up somewhat close to each other.

I am happy to hear that you are somewhat managing to keep the monster in his kennel. You can always come to this page on the days when he''s mis-behaving and we will slap him back down for you.

Hugs

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 7:12:56 PM

Date: 4/20/2010 5:45:01 PM

Hows tricks my friend?

Thinking about you hon, you've been a might too quiet these last few weeks.

XXX
3.gif

MARKHAM?!! GET OUT AND SHUT THE DOOR!! (Markham/Vaughan/Newmarket: the centre of Canadian suburbia....). You don't actually have to live IN Markham, there's LAND out there for gardeners. Really. Possibly a longer growing season for you too.

How exciting. Make sure your passport's up to date and we'll take a trip down to Detroit for a mangle.

LS
Me neither Losty!!

Yes, Markham! I'm glad you're excited, you might have to be excited enough for both of us. I can see it's going to be a tough up-hill road all the way until Christmas. I started work today (it's nearly killed me!) and from May onwards I virtually work 7 days a week. Coupled with that, we are about to embark on a kitchen renovation that spreads it's tentacles too most rooms on the main floor. It's something we should have done years ago but Mr G. always dragged his heels (didn't want to spend the money). Now we have to do it in order to make our house sale/rentable. Thing is, he's likely to spend ever increasing amounts of time in Markham as time goes on, leaving me to try to get all of this done.

I'm thinking of two scenarios. Firstly we will live a commutable distance from Markham itself, or we will live fairly close by in something small and maybe rented so that we can have a nicer property, preferably on a lake (like I have now) that we can go to at weekends. A lot will depend on how far Mr Gailey is willing to commute I suspect. It will have to be an older property, not in a newer sub-development, and have between half and one acre of property for me to build my dream garden.

I'd like a Craftsman styled house with a large wrap around porch, with a rocking chair for my old age! I've found maybe one or two like that, with the tapered pillars at the front. Page upon page of newer houses on postage stamp sized lots. And as for an open wood burning fireplace, well they look about as rare as rocking horse doo-doo.

Still, I am sure it will all work out in the end. I hope we end up somewhat close to each other.

I am happy to hear that you are somewhat managing to keep the monster in his kennel. You can always come to this page on the days when he's mis-behaving and we will slap him back down for you.

Hugs
Well, Gailey, if you're thinking commuting, keep in mind the geography: traffic jam 24/7 anywhere north of Lake Ontario. So if you want "a lake and something commutable", it would be north or west of Markham. Barrie/Innisfil area is nice, often charming, but the traffic is really building up, and it's FREEZING in the winter. Or, you could always commute from where I am (on a river near a lake.....). But I'm closer to Lake Erie than Lake Ontario (look up Port Dover on a map) Hang on, I'll try to find a map for you. Let me try and paste this.

LS

hope this isn't humongous.
ETA: not really the right map. so much for copying from Mapquest.

Foo331.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK found you. You are south and west of Toronto, correct? So far my search has concentrated on north and east of Markham on the basis that Mr G wouldn''t have to cross Toronto to get to work in the morning. Having said that, I found a gorgeous looking property in Niagra-on-the lake, but it''s 171 kms from Markham, by road. Is there such a thing as a ferry from one side of lake Ontario to the other?

I''d like to be in that neck of the woods for two reasons now. You live there and Peter Torraca is only an hour and a half from Niagra on the lake.

I actually thought about living more in Toronto in a little (cheap place), thinking that the commute out to Markham might not be quite so bad as the bulk of the traffic would be heading in the other direction. Found quite a nice little end of terrace (renovated) and with a little garden for $264,000 close to the zoo. When I showed Mr G., he thought it must be full of low-life''s to be that cheap and that close to urban Toronto. Then we could have our dream house further out.

So is the 407 or 404 as bad a commute as the 401? Why on earth are there not more roads for such a densely populated area?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 7:43:18 PM
OK found you. You are south and west of Toronto, correct? So far my search has concentrated on north and east of Markham on the basis that Mr G wouldn't have to cross Toronto to get to work in the morning. Having said that, I found a gorgeous looking property in Niagra-on-the lake, but it's 171 kms from Markham, by road. Is there such a thing as a ferry from one side of lake Ontario to the other?

I'd like to be in that neck of the woods for two reasons now. You live there and Peter Torraca is only an hour and a half from Niagra on the lake.

I actually thought about living more in Toronto in a little (cheap place), thinking that the commute out to Markham might not be quite so bad as the bulk of the traffic would be heading in the other direction. Found quite a nice little end of terrace (renovated) and with a little garden for $264,000 close to the zoo. When I showed Mr G., he thought it must be full of low-life's to be that cheap and that close to urban Toronto. Then we could have our dream house further out.

So is the 407 or 404 as bad a commute as the 401? Why on earth are there not more roads for such a densely populated area?
oohhh Niagara-on-the-Lake is to die for...wine country...bucolic countryside....wonderful shops...lots of tourists in the summer but lovely none-the-less. By road from NOTL to Markham? count on 2.5 to 3 hours.

Yes, we're south-east of Toronto. In a small town not really on the map, and I didn't want to identify my actual location. But you get the idea.

There was a ferry at one time from Rochester NY to Toronto but it went bust. Nobody wanted to go by boat!

"End of terrace (renovated) and garden for $264,000"? Listen to Mr. Gailey on this one...'average' price of a single dwelling home in Toronto in January 2010 was $395,000 or so...

LOTS of roads here. But keep in mind, that the "Golden Triangle" (Niagara/Hamilton/Toronto) is one of the most populated areas in North America. I believe, that the QEW/403/401 actually carries more vehicles per day than any other highway in N.A.

The 407, however, is a godsend! We use it all the time. Costs bucks, close to $50 from end to end, which we travel monthly to take the furkids to the breeder over the other side. You can drive really fast on it. Traffic moves really smoothly.

As far as travelling 'in the opposite direction', hmm, I'd think carefully on that one. So much of the population has been forced further and further out of the city core, that there is sometimes as much traffic in either direction. The city never sleeps. Nor do its' inhabitants, it seems to me.

Look east towards Whitby (Whitchurch-Stouffville, Ashburn, Claremont, Whitby) . Lovely place, though it too, is getting populated by these postage-sized lots with monster houses. The nice part about Whitby is that the 407 almost goes into it. You'd be maybe 15 minutes on a fairly good road (Hwy 7), then onto the 407 to Markham. That would be an easy drive, and there are still a fair # of interesting rural properties around there. We are in Whitby about once a month (see note re: furkids above). No lakes though, but water here and there.

Keep looking and ask away. I'd be happy to be your tour guide.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Invaluable advice, thank you so much!

I have found several properties in Whitchurch/Stouffville that show promise and Mr Gailey came home with a bunch of re-location info which includes a W/S pack. Haven''t gone through it yet.

What do you think of Port Perry and Aurora? Some quite nice places there too.

The picture below is of a house in Peterborough on what looks like a river. Gorgeous outside pictures, no inside ones at all. But this is what I want.

Peterborough 01.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 8:27:54 PM
Invaluable advice, thank you so much!

I have found several properties in Whitchurch/Stouffville that show promise and Mr Gailey came home with a bunch of re-location info which includes a W/S pack. Haven''t gone through it yet.

What do you think of Port Perry and Aurora? Some quite nice places there too.

The picture below is of a house in Peterborough on what looks like a river. Gorgeous outside pictures, no inside ones at all. But this is what I want.
Port Perry is lovely. It''s on Lake Skugog. Beautiful area but the drive from there to Markham wouldn''t be fun in winter. How''s Mr. Gailey about driving in snow?

Aurora, same issue re: weather but the drive from Aurora to Markham goes straight down the 404. Not my idea of a good time either, but it IS a good road.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, hadn''t thought of the snow. We don''t get anything like as much snow in the winter as the East does. But we do put snow tyres on our vehicles and will battle it if necessary. I might opt for Winter in Miami with Harriet mind you. Leave Mr Gailey to paddle his own canoe!

Is there a way to find out which roads get ploughed on a regular basis and which don''t?

Off to see my book keeper in a minute. GST is due at end of the month. I''ll see if I can''t dream up another list of questions for you.

Thank God for Losty! You are going to make this so much more worthwhile.

L&K

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
It's TIRES not TYRES!
3.gif

I can likely help you a lot re: weather/driving/traffic in the area. See 'chat' for more.
LS

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
If you are able to chat, please add me to the list! I''ve been worried about you. No one asked me to mangle with them. What about Mr. Risingsun''s smalls
3.gif

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please remember our policies regarding contact information on the forums. Thank you for your cooperation.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 11:39:23 PM
Author: risingsun
If you are able to chat, please add me to the list! I''ve been worried about you. No one asked me to mangle with them. What about Mr. Risingsun''s smalls
3.gif
Hi Marian

I meant "chat" as in Gailey''s Who''s Who thread. Nothing so nefarious as a real chat.

Sorry Ella, didn''t mean to cause you any grief.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Ah ha! Now that makes sense.

A much better venue for "chatting" about my moving woes!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 9:18:25 AM
Ah ha! Now that makes sense.

A much better venue for ''chatting'' about my moving woes!
I dunno, Gailey and Marian: I think we''re in trouble!
LS

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
No one is in trouble LS. Just a reminder about the rules.
1.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Heading over to Who's Who...I'm a little dense these days. I thought you wanted to start a chat in the Hangout! Sorry for any confusion, Ella.

ETA: Dear Gailey and Losty~I went to Who's Who and didn't find you. Will you please tell me which PS forum we are using to chat? Some of us...or all of us...are dealing with fibro fog
14.gif

ETA 2: Why can't we chat on this thread
33.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
yes we miss your sapphire-ness!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 5:31:09 PM
Author: jewelerman
yes we miss your sapphire-ness!
Thank you jewelerman...I''m here, just trying to stay quiet and enjoying the forum!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
If you are able to chat, please add me to the list! I've been worried about you. No one asked me to mangle with them. What about Mr. Risingsun's smalls
3.gif
I make it a rule to NEVER mangle anyone's smalls but Mr. Losty. Sorry, you'll have to mangle Mr. Risingsun's yourself!
3.gif

But, Gailey and I are 'fer shure' gonna have a mangle party someday and you're invited!
LS

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 5:56:50 PM

If you are able to chat, please add me to the list! I've been worried about you. No one asked me to mangle with them. What about Mr. Risingsun's smalls
3.gif
I make it a rule to NEVER mangle anyone's smalls but Mr. Losty. Sorry, you'll have to mangle Mr. Risingsun's yourself!
3.gif

But, Gailey and I are 'fer shure' gonna have a mangle party someday and you're invited!
LS
I do not know how to mangle, as well you know
3.gif
I'm afraid I would mangle my hands and then where would I wear my rings
9.gif
I will attend your mangle party, but please keep me away from heavy machinery
17.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
How is it that every time I venture to say "things are much better" that ticks off the MONSTER?
40.gif

It''s like it lurks until I dare speak.
LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 7:55:26 PM
How is it that every time I venture to say ''things are much better'' that ticks off the MONSTER?
40.gif

LS
You havin'' a bad day darlin''?

If it''s any consolation, I''ve got a monster taking chunks out of my back right now. Yee Gads, I''m too old for this caper. There''s gotta be an easier way to make a living.

Maybe I could take in mangling for folk.

Feel better soon. XXX

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 8:50:35 PM

Date: 4/22/2010 7:55:26 PM
How is it that every time I venture to say ''things are much better'' that ticks off the MONSTER?
40.gif

LS
You havin'' a bad day darlin''?

If it''s any consolation, I''ve got a monster taking chunks out of my back right now. Yee Gads, I''m too old for this caper. There''s gotta be an easier way to make a living.

Maybe I could take in mangling for folk.

Feel better soon. XXX
Thanks Gailey.
It feels like 5 ice picks going through 5 of my teeth up through the nerves.

I''m sorry about your back. Too much chasing voles today? It''s digging season, yes? Cantcha find some stud muffin to dig the dirt for you?

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Losty, is their any common denominator to these flare-ups? I don''t know how you do it, but you keep coming through time and again, and for that I am so very proud of you.

I told my girlfriend who was diagnosed with BC months ago the same thing. You are both like "Weebles". You wobble, but you don''t fall down.

XXX

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry that you are having another bad day, Losty
8.gif

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
lostsapphire--sorry to interrupt this thread and i know this may seem crazy, but have you considered, or ever worn, a bite splint? if you clench or grind your teeth at night at all, from pain or stress, it can certainly exacerbate facial pain symptoms. it might be worth getting one to see if it helps at all--your DDS can make a custom splint for your teeth.

although i mostly lurk on PS, i have suffered from chronic pain and i really sympathize with you. wishing you some relief.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 10:10:48 PM
Author: tina sparkle
lostsapphire--sorry to interrupt this thread and i know this may seem crazy, but have you considered, or ever worn, a bite splint? if you clench or grind your teeth at night at all, from pain or stress, it can certainly exacerbate facial pain symptoms. it might be worth getting one to see if it helps at all--your DDS can make a custom splint for your teeth.

although i mostly lurk on PS, i have suffered from chronic pain and i really sympathize with you. wishing you some relief.
Hello Tina. Thank you for the call out.

Yes, I''ve worn a bite splint for years. As you say, it definitely helps (I clench, not grind but could probably break a steel girder with my jaw while sleeping!).

LS

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results