shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling FrekeChild

T

talamasca

:wavey: after seeing your gorgeous rhinestone covered shoes and with trying to find a pair of flat pointy white shoes with lace or crystals on them for my wedding proving nigh on impossible, I've finally managed to find a pair of flat pointy plain white shoes on eBay (which I will hopefully win) and I'm going to have a go at adding crystals myself so I was wondering if you have any tips, i.e. what sort of glue is best to use, size stones to get and how many, etc? Any help would be appreciated as I'm not crafty in the slightest! :shock:

Oh and how long did it take you to do yours?

Thanks in anticipation :D

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.thebridefairy.com/2011/01/how-to-diy-crystal-wedding-shoes/

http://www.weddingbycolor.com/wendelina0866/milestones/162845

I don't recommend the hot gun crystal thing that they have at the craft store. I did it to my shoe heel and it just melted part of the plastic. I went crazy and used NAIL glue on mine (I was half out of my mind) and it worked very well. I also free handed it (didn't research it like I should have before) and they still came out well. Crystals I get on sale with the 50% off coupon and get the high end ones and just buy them as often as I can and stock up. Good luck and pictures when you are done!

The links provide places to get the crystal via ebay so I'd go that route. They also probably have videos on youtube (also a link on the first link) that you could also check out before giving it a go. The only reason I did the shoes pictured it because I had one of those white scuffs that you get from that type of material :(sad

IMG_0906.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey there tala! I just happened to check BWW today--I never really peek in here anymore.

It took a while, but I really had no idea what I was doing, just going off a picture of a shoe I really liked. I like VL's suggestion of using nail glue. I think the hardest part was trying to make them "even", Trying to make sure that they didn't look too different. Do you have an inspiration picture to work off of?

My tips--spread it out over some time--days, and I'd really suggest doing both shoes at the same time, not doing one and then starting the other - if you add them gradually you can get a more tailored look, providing that you go with a design like mine. I tended to spend too much time all at once working on them and my neck paid for it. My best piece of advice? Just do it, and don't think about what you're doing! If I had thought too hard about what I was doing, I never would have done it! I also ended up buying a few packs of crystals, deciding to add more, so having to buy more later, but since I was doing it over a series of days, that was ok. I went with smaller stones - I think 2-4mm? I think the variety of sizes added an extra dimension to them.

I have no idea how long it took me! I did it over a series of about 2 weeks I think, and I'd do a longer period over the weekend, but only an hour or so at night on week days.

I had fun doing it. My husband thought I was insane. Looking back at it, I really think I was insane, but part of that is because of how damn expensive my shoes were!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck with this. Make sure you allow yourself plenty of time.

T

talamasca

vintagelover226 thanks for the links and tips.

I did a bit of research last night and I'm really surprised at how expensive the real crystals are and I know they add great sparkle, but there's no way I'm spending £90 on 2880 crystals, which is apparently how many I will need to cover all of both shoes :shock:

So I'm going to use the same rounded ones as shown in Bride Fairy's link, which she got from an eBay shop. I know they won't have great sparkle, but then only the tips of my shoes will be seen when I'm walking anyway and for just £22 which I think is reasonable when adding the cost of the glue, jewel setters, shoes and P&P so altogether they'll cost about £35 :D

FrekeChild thanks for the advice. I'm a perfectionist and I don't have tonnes of patience so I would definitely go insane if I did a design likes yours so I think covering the whole shoe will be better for me, even if it will take hours :roll: :D

Amys Bling I've got 8 months until the big day, which is just as well since I read one lady added 2000 crystals to each of her shoes and it took her over a month per shoe! What am I letting myself in for :lol:

Our wedding theme colour is light pink and blue to match my pink e-ring and H2B's blue sapphire so I wondered whether I should randomly add these 2 colours to the clear crystals as well or would that look a bit daft? Plus, due to my OCD about needing to have things matching, aligned and straight, I'm not too sure whether I could add them randomly :lol:

Also, I have tiny pearls on my wedding dress and the eBay shop also sells flat backed white pearls - so may be I should add a few of those as well?

What do you all think?

ETA: Ooo we have a fancy scrolled heart design on our invites and cake, etc so may be I should add 2 little hearts on the shoes somewhere, may be on the outside of the back of the shoes; 1 blue and 1 pink?

T

talamasca

I was Googling for design inspirations and came across this, which I like, but may be it's a bit too much :shock:

Blinged Shoe!.png

T

talamasca

And some more - aren't these fab!!!!

Lace & Crystal Shoe.jpg

Crystal & Pearl.jpg

Pink Crystal & Pearl.jpg

T

talamasca

5 months later.....

..... the shoes I won on Ebay I didn't like and so my search continued, but I couldnt find any flat pointed white shoes anywhere so I settled for the next best thing and bought Bella Flats.

I was happy with these up until 2 weeks ago when I went for my dress fitting and they had some beautiful pointy crystal covered shoes in the shop, albeit with heels, but I just couldn't help trying them on and they looked stunning with my dress so it was back to searching and finally, I found some flat pointy shoes AND they are handmade to fit my feet exactly, which is a major plus since I have wide feet and shoes nearly always rub!

Once they arrive, I'll be having a go a 'crystallising' them in a similar style to the Andrea ones I tried on in the shop :D

Bella Flats.jpg

My New Flat & Pointy Handmade Shoes.jpg

Andrea - crystal inspiration design.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you're still in the market for crystals, but I purchase all my beads and swarovski flatback crystals from Bead Factory in Los Angeles. They have decent prices.. and definitely is cheaper than Michaels!

you can purchase online, and have them shipped. they are sold in packages of a gross (144). they offer discounts when you purchase 10 gross.

http://www.beadsfactory.com/

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd love to know how they turned out!

T

talamasca

Well, my lovely shoes arrived yesterday so I thought I'd see what a few crystals would look like on them (without any glue) and look what the blooming jewel setter's done to the fabric! I'm not impressed. I was already extremely nervous about using too much glue and now the setter's left waxy marks I think I might be chickening out and if I can afford it I may ask a professional to do them instead.....

Shoes 1.JPG

Shoes 2.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results