shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling DSLR gurus - which one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at some DSLRs and I''m torn between the Olympus E-620 and the Nikon D-5000.

I''m primarily using the camera for traveling and landscape shots, though I''d like to use it for macro shots too. I''m a total DSLR beginner so I don''t want anything too complicated or fancy. I also have small hands so I don''t want anything too bulky or weighty. Would definitely like to keep it under $700. My point-and-shoots are all Olympus, so I have xD cards, but my dad a set of Nikon lenses that are about 20 years old (from his film camera). No idea whether it''ll even be compatible with Nikon DSLRs (and I need to find them anyway) so it''s a consideration but not something that really tips me into the Nikon camp. I could go either way.

Also, would it be better to purchase the body only and get a separate lens than what they normally come with? On Amazon, the Olympus comes with a 14-42 mm/f3.5-5.6 Zuiko lens for $549, and the Nikon comes with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens for $667. If I got it separately, which lens do you recommend for a general all-around lens for most types of shots, including landscapes?

Please help me with the pros and cons of these two, and if there is a better option out there, please feel free to toss those into the mix too! Thanks in advance!

-B.E.G.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 6:50:49 PM
Author:Brown.Eyed.Girl

Also, would it be better to purchase the body only and get a separate lens than what they normally come with? On Amazon, the Olympus comes with a 14-42 mm/f3.5-5.6 Zuiko lens for $549, and the Nikon comes with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens for $667. If I got it separately, which lens do you recommend for a general all-around lens for most types of shots, including landscapes?

I am following you all over the place to answer your question BEG
2.gif

While I don''t know too terribly much about the Olympus, I can tell you this - the 14-42 is considered more of a wide-angle lens, so it would be GREAT your landscapes, but not so great for every day shots (like of the kittens). The 18-55 the Nikon comes with, while excellent in bright lighting conditions, does terrible in low-light, like indoors at twilight. (I have owned both the 18-55 and the Olympus Nikon equivalent.)

My suggestion, if you want a good lens, is to buy just the body (either brand) and buy a lens seperately. I have already raved to you about the D90
3.gif
, but if you want the D5000 body, I recommend this lens (which I own and loooooove, as it rarely leaves my D300 body): http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=nikon+tamron+lens&cid=10897762044991733339&sa=title#p

But if you choose the Olympus, I would not get the 14-42mm, but something more like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=olympus+lenses&oe=utf-8&cid=14166765887743920642&sa=title#p

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at some DSLRs and I''m torn between the Olympus E-620 and the Nikon D-5000.

I''m primarily using the camera for traveling and landscape shots, though I''d like to use it for macro shots too. I''m a total DSLR beginner so I don''t want anything too complicated or fancy. I also have small hands so I don''t want anything too bulky or weighty. Would definitely like to keep it under $700. My point-and-shoots are all Olympus, so I have xD cards, but my dad a set of Nikon lenses that are about 20 years old (from his film camera). No idea whether it''ll even be compatible with Nikon DSLRs (and I need to find them anyway) so it''s a consideration but not something that really tips me into the Nikon camp. I could go either way.

Please help me with the pros and cons of these two, and if there is a better option out there, please feel free to toss those into the mix too! Thanks in advance!

-B.E.G.
BEG, I am not an Olympus person, so I will address the Nikon only.

I believe the D5000 has same autofocus system as my D40, which means the autofocus is in the lenses, not the camera body. This means that your dad''s old Nikon lenses (if they work for this camera, and I''m no lens expert) won''t autofocus on this camera. If you don''t mind manual focusing, that''s fine. It also means you are more limited if you want an autofocus lens, which for noobs like us, is probably a must. I know it is for kiddie shots!

The D5000 is a step above the D3000, which is the current entry level camera. It''s also a step down from the D90, which is a bigger camera, but a more "advanced" camera. When I checked out the D5000, I liked the way it felt in my hands, and I have very small hands. The D5000 has a swiveling display which might come in handy for landscape shots with live view (which doesn''t seem to work that great on the DSLRs since it''s relatively a new feature - a couple of years, I think?) and has a video mode. The D3000 doesn''t have anything mentioned above.

For good macro shots on either the D3000 or the D5000, I would think a separate macro lens is in order. I still like my canon P&S for macro shots over my DSLR because I don''t have lens that does good macro shots. You should look at different lenses before you walk down this path...it isn''t cheap. I just bought a "cheap" 35mm prime lens at $200. Coming from a P&S/consumer mentality, that can be shocking.

I found a D40 refurb because I wanted to get the body only and add the lenses I want. I would always rather go that route because I know what I want to shoot and would want the lens that would work best for me in the situations I am in.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 7:22:53 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

I am following you all over the place to answer your question BEG
2.gif

While I don''t know too terribly much about the Olympus, I can tell you this - the 14-42 is considered more of a wide-angle lens, so it would be GREAT your landscapes, but not so great for every day shots (like of the kittens). The 18-55 the Nikon comes with, while excellent in bright lighting conditions, does terrible in low-light, like indoors at twilight. (I have owned both the 18-55 and the Olympus Nikon equivalent.)

My suggestion, if you want a good lens, is to buy just the body (either brand) and buy a lens seperately. I have already raved to you about the D90
3.gif
, but if you want the D5000 body, I recommend this lens (which I own and loooooove, as it rarely leaves my D300 body): http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=nikon+tamron+lens&cid=10897762044991733339&sa=title#p

But if you choose the Olympus, I would not get the 14-42mm, but something more like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=olympus+lenses&oe=utf-8&cid=14166765887743920642&sa=title#p

MP thank you so much!! You''re awesome for answering all my questions - I really appreciate it! And then lens info is so helpful - I''m going to go check out the links now. Thanks again!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 10:23:16 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I'm looking at some DSLRs and I'm torn between the Olympus E-620 and the Nikon D-5000.

I'm primarily using the camera for traveling and landscape shots, though I'd like to use it for macro shots too. I'm a total DSLR beginner so I don't want anything too complicated or fancy. I also have small hands so I don't want anything too bulky or weighty. Would definitely like to keep it under $700. My point-and-shoots are all Olympus, so I have xD cards, but my dad a set of Nikon lenses that are about 20 years old (from his film camera). No idea whether it'll even be compatible with Nikon DSLRs (and I need to find them anyway) so it's a consideration but not something that really tips me into the Nikon camp. I could go either way.

-B.E.G.

BEG, I am not an Olympus person, so I will address the Nikon only.

I believe the D5000 has same autofocus system as my D40, which means the autofocus is in the lenses, not the camera body. This means that your dad's old Nikon lenses (if they work for this camera, and I'm no lens expert) won't autofocus on this camera. If you don't mind manual focusing, that's fine. It also means you are more limited if you want an autofocus lens, which for noobs like us, is probably a must. I know it is for kiddie shots!

The D5000 is a step above the D3000, which is the current entry level camera. It's also a step down from the D90, which is a bigger camera, but a more 'advanced' camera. When I checked out the D5000, I liked the way it felt in my hands, and I have very small hands. The D5000 has a swiveling display which might come in handy for landscape shots with live view (which doesn't seem to work that great on the DSLRs since it's relatively a new feature - a couple of years, I think?) and has a video mode. The D3000 doesn't have anything mentioned above.

For good macro shots on either the D3000 or the D5000, I would think a separate macro lens is in order. I still like my canon P&S for macro shots over my DSLR because I don't have lens that does good macro shots. You should look at different lenses before you walk down this path...it isn't cheap. I just bought a 'cheap' 35mm prime lens at $200. Coming from a P&S/consumer mentality, that can be shocking.

I found a D40 refurb because I wanted to get the body only and add the lenses I want. I would always rather go that route because I know what I want to shoot and would want the lens that would work best for me in the situations I am in.

TGal, I forgot to mention in my OP that I read your awesome Nikon thread before making this post, and thought it was super helpful with regard to Nikon cameras. Thank you!

And also, thank you for the info on the D5000! I'm glad you were able to look at it, and that you felt it was comfortable. My local Staples has the D3000 and the OfficeMax has the D40, but I've only been able to look at the latter. I thought it had a good feel and weight for my hands, but I think that's also the lightest Nikon
3.gif

I love the D90 in theory, but I think it's almost too much camera for me, you know? It's nice thinking I won't have to upgrade for a while if I get that, but I also want it to be lighter and easier to use so that it doesn't gather dust on the shelf.

I think I would rather get the body and lens separately too, like you did. I might wait on the Macro since I still have my P&S but as MP pointed out, the lens that comes with the D5000 isn't the greatest, and I'd rather get what she recommended.

Man, cameras are so complicated! I feel like I have a new hobby coming on....
3.gif

Thank you!

ETA: I forgot to add, I have NO idea where my dad's lenses are. I spent part of today hunting for them, and they're nowhere to be found! So it might be a moot point that they exist somewhere
3.gif

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi BEG,

My husband recently spent weeks researching Nikons (we''ve loved the ones we''ve had) and decided on the D90 and a couple of lenses. I know that''s not what you''re looking for but wanted to mention the Ken Rockwell site. We found that it contained very useful, practical reviews and advice on both cameras and lenses.

We bought a refurb D90 and love it! Now all I have to do is learn to take photos of my jewelry!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 11:10:13 PM
Author: Gayletmom
Hi BEG,

My husband recently spent weeks researching Nikons (we''ve loved the ones we''ve had) and decided on the D90 and a couple of lenses. I know that''s not what you''re looking for but wanted to mention the Ken Rockwell site. We found that it contained very useful, practical reviews and advice on both cameras and lenses.

We bought a refurb D90 and love it! Now all I have to do is learn to take photos of my jewelry!

Thanks Gayle! That''s really helpful - I just went and read his article on Nikon lenses. I appreciate the link!

Going off the Rockwell site, how does something like this - Nikon D3000 + 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G & 55-200 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lenses - look, for $629.89?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys, so I found my dad's camera and lens!

BUT.... I don't think it'll do me much good.

One, because I'm a dummy, and it's a Canon, not a Nikon, lol.

And two, I don't know if the lenses will work. What I have from my dad is a Canon AE-1 Program film camera, a FD 50 mm f/1.8 mm lens, a FD 135 mm f/3.5 lens, and a FD 28 mm f/2.8 lens. As well as an attachable flash for the camera. I'm not sure how old these are but no idea if they're even compatible with anything new from Canon. Thoughts?

Thanks!

ETA: Wow, the AE-1P is from 1981!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
From what I have read, they both of them are great products. Olympus has fewer selections in terms of glass available vs. Nikon, however, what are the odds that you will a massive lens selection if you already know what you what your photo interests are. What I would do is research lens offerings from both and decide which will offer you the best for what you are most interested in photographing (e.g., landscape, macro, etc.). From what I understand, Olympus has a more friendly price point than Nikon too, which can be nice when building your system. One thing to consider though, the real ''investment'' when it comes to your camera system will reside with your lens collection. Once you start building your system with one brand, it can be a pain switching to another system, as that *could* mean starting over.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 3:07:08 AM
Author: omieluv
From what I have read, they both of them are great products. Olympus has fewer selections in terms of glass available vs. Nikon, however, what are the odds that you will a massive lens selection if you already know what you what your photo interests are. What I would do is research lens offerings from both and decide which will offer you the best for what you are most interested in photographing (e.g., landscape, macro, etc.). From what I understand, Olympus has a more friendly price point than Nikon too, which can be nice when building your system. One thing to consider though, the real ''investment'' when it comes to your camera system will reside with your lens collection. Once you start building your system with one brand, it can be a pain switching to another system, as that *could* mean starting over.

Thanks Omie! You''re right, the thought of building a lens collection is very daunting! I would definitely like something easy and inexpensive, since I just don''t know if I will be using them on vacations and general purpose shots, or if photography will become an actual hobby (and later require purchasing more lenses).

Another option I''m considering is the Canon Rebel XS, which is fairly small and light, and compared to the Nikon D5000 and Olympus E-620, less expensive (but obviously not quite as good as those two either). I wonder if that really will be enough for my occasional uses of the camera. Hmm...

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, the FD lenses are standard from the 70''s and early 80''s and will not fitt current canon DSLR''s without an adapter. Even with the adapter, they are manual focus only lenses. You''d lose many of the features of the camera by using an adapter. The Rebel is a nice camera. Not too big and plenty of options for a beginner. I''m a Canon guy but you really can''t go wrong with any of the big manufacturers. My suggestion is to go somewhere where you can actually get your hands on the cameras. Try out the options, go through the menus, see which one feels better in your hand and seems intuitive to use to you.

There are plenty of review sites too. One of my favorite sites is dpreview.com so I encourage you to check it out if you haven''t already.

Treefrog

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 9:19:46 AM
Author: treefrog
Unfortunately, the FD lenses are standard from the 70''s and early 80''s and will not fitt current canon DSLR''s without an adapter. Even with the adapter, they are manual focus only lenses. You''d lose many of the features of the camera by using an adapter. The Rebel is a nice camera. Not too big and plenty of options for a beginner. I''m a Canon guy but you really can''t go wrong with any of the big manufacturers. My suggestion is to go somewhere where you can actually get your hands on the cameras. Try out the options, go through the menus, see which one feels better in your hand and seems intuitive to use to you.

There are plenty of review sites too. One of my favorite sites is dpreview.com so I encourage you to check it out if you haven''t already.

Treefrog

Thanks Treefrog! I appreciate the info. That stinks that my dad''s lenses won''t work, but I had a feeling once I realized when they were from. Boo
7.gif

Dpreview is great - I''ve read so many reviews that my head is kind of spinning at this point. I really like the Rebel XS for size, price, and options considering it''s a fairly low-budget entry-level DSLR. I''m also considering just getting the D40 or D60 body and getting my own lenses, which is what TGal did and recommended. I''m heading back to OfficeMax, where I can play with their D40, and I know Staples has an XS so I think I''ll go try those out. Thanks for the advice!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
MonkeyPie,
If you read this, please reply.
I''d like to run something by you.
Pink

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Sure PT, what''s up?
1.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
OK, Monkey Pie,

I know little about this topic. I've a daughter in tenth grade. She is a good student, and very goal oriented.
She makes $50 a week at her babysitting job, and she is saving up for a camera.
(sidenote: I feel that, with a teenager, it is important that they learn to save for things. This isn't just about a camera, if you KWIM.)

So, she has now saved up about $300. I just found out recently that she had been saving her money for this. My thoughts are, this is something worthwhile. It isn't as if she is saving up to buy a Wii, or something. She takes photography in school, and she loves it. They have a darkroom, and pinhole cameras, and all sorts of whatever you do in a high school photography class. She loved photography before this, so she signed up for the class.

She wants a Nikon 3000, but her first choice is a Nikon D90! She wants to get the camera by spring break; she is going to the Keys. So, I am thinking of helping her with the rest of the money, and she should have about $450 of her own by then. I have had a suggestion from someone who has used them that we could look for a refurbished body on a site called Adorama. Also there is a possibility of finding a used lens, nothing super fast, just a standard zoom. Sometimes,I am told, people buy the camera and lens package, and then sell the lens when they upgrade to a more expensive one. I am told that the D90 has such low noise at high ISO speed settings that she will be able to do all she wants without having to have a super fast lens.

I am wondering, what are your thoughts on this? Would you think the D90 would be worth the extra money in the above situation? TIA.

Pink

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
PT, first of all, awesome of your daughter to be so mature - a camera is a good investment if you love it, and it sounds like she does.

The D90 is a great camera, and she will likely be able to use it at it''s full potential because she has some experience. (Pinhole cameras are AWESOME. I wish my school had given me that class!) The kit lens will likely work just fine for her. It isn''t a bad lens at all, and you''re right, the light sensor in the D90 is the same as the one in the D300 - less noise and more capabilities in low light. It will also be ideal for her trip to the Keys, as it is fairly light as far as lenses go and will have a decent zoom range. It will grow with her for awhile as well. One thing to consider though is that selling the kit lens will not net her very much, as they are a dime a dozen, so I would recommend that she keep it and simply save up for the next lens she''s interested in - by then she have found she prefers portraits, or macro, or landscapes, and she can choose a lens accordingly.

Adorama is where I purchased my own lenses, and I LOVE them. Another option is B&H Photo, where I got my camera body refurbished for a very good price. They come highly recommended, and not just by me! The lenses I suggested to BEG will likely be available on either one of those sites if she would like to look into them.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 10:19:35 AM
Author: MonkeyPie
PT, first of all, awesome of your daughter to be so mature - a camera is a good investment if you love it, and it sounds like she does.

The D90 is a great camera, and she will likely be able to use it at it''s full potential because she has some experience. (Pinhole cameras are AWESOME. I wish my school had given me that class!) The kit lens will likely work just fine for her. It isn''t a bad lens at all, and you''re right, the light sensor in the D90 is the same as the one in the D300 - less noise and more capabilities in low light. It will also be ideal for her trip to the Keys, as it is fairly light as far as lenses go and will have a decent zoom range. It will grow with her for awhile as well. One thing to consider though is that selling the kit lens will not net her very much, as they are a dime a dozen, so I would recommend that she keep it and simply save up for the next lens she''s interested in - by then she have found she prefers portraits, or macro, or landscapes, and she can choose a lens accordingly.

Adorama is where I purchased my own lenses, and I LOVE them. Another option is B&H Photo, where I got my camera body refurbished for a very good price. They come highly recommended, and not just by me! The lenses I suggested to BEG will likely be available on either one of those sites if she would like to look into them.
Working for a company in the Pro space, I can say that B&H is THE leader. Adorama is not as big but very reputable. There are quite a few camera companies in NYC, some more straight and narrow than others. I buy from Cameta via ebay/Amazon but they can be hit or miss (I had a great experience with them though.)

Another place to check is Costco.com and Amazon.com. Amazon can often beat B&H pricing because they have such a low margin requirement. However, many camera companies have a MAP (minimum advertised price) policy so pricing really shouldn''t be all over the price. You''ll find Adorama and B&H are usually within a few cents from each other.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Pink Tower- I have the d90 with its standard lens, the 18-105 and its a great all-around lens. I''d definitely recommend that lens over the 18-55 that is standard on the cheaper Nikons - especially as I think the 18-55 is narrower and thus slower. But the setup was not cheap, maybe $1300? That was full-priced though when it had just come out.

I think its reasonably important to get the body from an authorized source with warranty. Mine has behaved beautifully but it is electronics and they can go wonky, KWIM? Used lens should be more solid, but good lenses are almost more impt than the camera. With a teen scrimping and saving, I''d be temped to lean her towards buying a cheaper body (d40 or d3000/5000) and splurging to spoil her with nicer lens that will still be useful after she has upgraded the camera body years down the road. I guess it depends a little if she has the skill or desire to really take advantage of the extra features on the d90. I''m really happy with our camera but it is a bit much sometimes on all the adjustables!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your helpfulness.

I see Adorama has a refurbished body and lens for $399.95 (Mfr. Part: 25462B SKU: INKD3000KR).I think that the combination of the camera and it''s standard issue 18-55 zoom lens will serve her well.

I could not find any on the B&H site. Then again, I could not find any reburbished DSLR cameras on that site, period.

I am going to check Amazon as well, Trav.Gal. Thanks for that suggestion.

Pink

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Well, TGal, your were right. The D3000,
new at Amazon is $456.88.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results