shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling dibs: pocessiveness over baby names.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
audball|1335558049|3182383 said:
StacylikesSparkles|1335557641|3182380 said:
I like Elaine! :) Maybe he'd be ok with that as a middle name?
Maybe!

Oh! I forgot my other favorite! I've more/less written it off since he shot it down, but I was thinking Brianne (or Breanne...not sure on spelling). His Mom's name is Mary Anne and my name is SaBRIna. I thought Brianne woudl be a nice combination of the two. He didn't bite, not even for that.

That is a really good idea, I like it!! And I agree, girls should totally have double-weighted votes in the name department since we have to give birth.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was a good idea! Oh well.

You ladies may find this website interesting. It's the Social Security Administation database on names. They go back to the late 1800s in their records and it shows the rank of a name over the years. It's interesting to see how some names come in and out of popularity over a period of 10-30 years.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
audball, Yep! those are the new numbers I check out every mothers day!

Also I like Anita, as long as your last name isn't a noun Anita Net = I need a net :)

snow12: Obviously I like the name Mae :Up_to_something: It's my middle name.

Stacy, I think your attitude is perfect, and Ella is beautiful!

I like names that have meanings, normally from the Latin or Greek. Long girl names that have nicknames and using middle names to honor family members.

Woo this thread got a lot of traction fast!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
snow12|1335542297|3182234 said:
My close friend and I were actually discussing baby names this past weekend and found out her boyfriend and my fiance both like the same name for a boy, Mehdi. Which is fine for me because my FI will name our future boy that no matter what. The problem is that its a family tradition to have all the childrens names start with the same letter. All my aunts and uncles on one side have names with L and there kids with all the same letters too. A, K, L, C, and E are all taken from the alphabet! It's something my grandmother started and I'd like to continue that.

With that being said, with my FI loving the name Mehdi, our little girl (hopefully!!!) will have to have an M name too! I've been going over name after name and havent found any we agree upon! It doesn't help that his last name starts with M and is 10 letters long! My parents think its funny that their initials will be M & M with the fact my FI lovvvees candy.

My list for M girls:
Mae
Mirabella
Maebella
Maylin
(anyone have suggestions?) lol

But no, we're not calling dibs.. i just told her that FI would not change his mind. He's had this name picked out for years!

Oh, snow, I believe i come from the same culture as him! We all have the same first initial. Lucky for your girl's names in that culture are BEAUTIFUL. The usually represent a flower of some sort or a feeling, though as they may sound beautiful to us - they sound strange and foreign to others. for example the word "barf". In english - i'm sure you all giggled, in our language it means snow - and not just snow, but the beautiful feeling you get when snow is sleek and powdery and white. We also say it Ba (a as in apple) rf, verses b-are-f.

my boy doesn't like foreign names, he says it has been shown in studies that those with foreign names don't have the same opportunities as those with american names. I call false on this as I have a very strong cultural first name that if anything as opened doors for me but - whatever. Our compromise? Pick one that sounds good in both. I'm ok with not having the seemingly traditional first letter trend (another option is names that sound similar like nina and ziba), and it's way easier to find a similar girls name vs. boy because there are SO many.

In your case, I can't off hand come up with a good M name that's a dual. Maryam is one, there's another family I know with a mehdi - the girl is Morgan. Others: Mina, Minau (heaven), Maheen (greatest, also seen spelled Mahin), Mahnaz (moon's glory - sounds pretty to my ear), Mahnoush, Mernoush, (can spell the last two different, that's how they sound), yadda yadda.

In all, I like mahnaz - but it's not an easy name for others to say :). Also, I know someone with the name melody - so that's one that he may seriously consider.

Edit: the one girl's name we've seemed to agree upon (odd thing to have discussed?) = Ava - american pronunciation aye-va, my pronunciation - auh-va. I love it :) I would give her a sense of the dual cultural family she'll be a part of.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Well since FF and I both never want kids, luckily we wont run into this problem - but I think you guys are coming up with some good names.

I actually liked them all but Felix...But i think because i think of a cat...LOL

When my brother and sis in law had my niece they narrowed it down to 2 names. They bounced it off everyone and then whatever the majority liked best they flipped it up and made that my nieces MIDDLE name and the least "liked" name for her 1st name! Mind you, her first name is a little "different", which is why i think they made it her first to begin with. Now i can't imagine her with any other name. :bigsmile:

audball

Ideal_Rock
maebelle|1335563536|3182442 said:
audball, Yep! those are the new numbers I check out every mothers day!

Also I like Anita, as long as your last name isn't a noun Anita Net = I need a net :)

snow12: Obviously I like the name Mae :Up_to_something: It's my middle name.

Stacy, I think your attitude is perfect, and Ella is beautiful!

I like names that have meanings, normally from the Latin or Greek. Long girl names that have nicknames and using middle names to honor family members.

Woo this thread got a lot of traction fast!
Great minds think alike! :bigsmile:

I see what you mean. FF's last name (and my future last name) is not a noun so I guess we'd be okay there, but I'd never thought of it like that! Good think to consider.

This thread did pick up fast...that's because baby names are FUN! :)

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
We never called dibs. My brothers chose names that I wouldn't and my sister and I have similar tastes. I have 3 boys so I may or may not have one more. I have 3 girls names Charlotte, Nora or Leah. Boys I have no clue since I've used them all! Lol! I have an 8-year old named Nolan and twins Lawson and Brody.

Sun-Shine

Rough_Rock
[/quote]the one girl's name we've seemed to agree upon (odd thing to have discussed?) = Ava - american pronunciation aye-va, my pronunciation - auh-va. I love it :) I would give her a sense of the dual cultural family she'll be a part of.[/quote]

I think that's beautiful and so special for a child.

I also like cultural names (I'm French) and would use the French pronunciation of a name with my children, knowing my guy he'd make up funny nick names for them that have nothing to do with a proper name :)

Girl: Verginie (Virginia) and Millicent (French MEE-LEE-send) Jinny and Milly for short

And for a boy: Étienne (Steven) or Rémi.

I would like to have names that come threw in translation, and that they would not have to spell or correct the pronunciation of all the time (story of my life).

Like Aud, my SO also has a common last name so I'd like them to not run into 100's of others with the same full name.

I love hearing all these fun names, and the stories behind them!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting reads! IDC. I totally call dibs on names, that's why I don't like sharing them. Not that I think others will want to 'steal' them, but they're so unique that if they do, it would be awkward. Not like, "oh, there's 2 Michaels" so it'd be not so obvious.. but say, "what? how is there 2 Peanutbrittles?" Substitute Peanutbrittle with actual name.. I'm craving Peanutbrittle and can't think of another name right now.

:naughty:

Have you ever thought of name meanings, though? One name I like originates with the meaning of being extremely masculine and built and sexy. What if my kid ends up being fat? With that name? LOL.

Thanks for the SSA link. I always like looking at those top names, too. There was a baby book that I purchased for a coworker's daughter that immigrated over from China, for her to choose her "American" nickname with. (She ended up choosing Cali. Like California-Cali, not Callie or Kallie. WTF?) It gave the originating ethnic roots, the meaning, possible nicknames, possible nicknames to AVOID, and a graph showing its popularity through the last few decades.. as well as celebrities and celebrity babies that are named it. I wish I knew the book name.

You know what? Screw it. It's all too much work. I'm naming my kid Apple.

audball

Ideal_Rock
beesha77|1335577656|3182607 said:
We never called dibs. My brothers chose names that I wouldn't and my sister and I have similar tastes. I have 3 boys so I may or may not have one more. I have 3 girls names Charlotte, Nora or Leah. Boys I have no clue since I've used them all! Lol! I have an 8-year old named Nolan and twins Lawson and Brody.
I love the name Charlotte! But I found out there is apparently a nickname Charlie for that? I don't like Charlie for a girl.

I also love Nolan!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1335629884|3182914 said:
Interesting reads! IDC. I totally call dibs on names, that's why I don't like sharing them. Not that I think others will want to 'steal' them, but they're so unique that if they do, it would be awkward. Not like, "oh, there's 2 Michaels" so it'd be not so obvious.. but say, "what? how is there 2 Peanutbrittles?" Substitute Peanutbrittle with actual name.. I'm craving Peanutbrittle and can't think of another name right now.

:naughty:

Have you ever thought of name meanings, though? One name I like originates with the meaning of being extremely masculine and built and sexy. What if my kid ends up being fat? With that name? LOL.

Thanks for the SSA link. I always like looking at those top names, too. There was a baby book that I purchased for a coworker's daughter that immigrated over from China, for her to choose her "American" nickname with. (She ended up choosing Cali. Like California-Cali, not Callie or Kallie. WTF?) It gave the originating ethnic roots, the meaning, possible nicknames, possible nicknames to AVOID, and a graph showing its popularity through the last few decades.. as well as celebrities and celebrity babies that are named it. I wish I knew the book name.

You know what? Screw it. It's all too much work. I'm naming my kid Apple.
Hahahahahahahahah.

I have looked at meanings too, but I've seen some names with different meanings on different sites, so I don't think I'll put much weight on that in the end. Ultimately my goals are: 1) easy to spell (or use the most common spelling if there are multiple ways), 2) easy to pronounce, 3) classic/traditional, 4) strong and not cutesy for when they're adult.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1335636637|3182972 said:
I love the name Charlotte! But I found out there is apparently a nickname Charlie for that? I don't like Charlie for a girl.

And LOLA! I am an avid GossipGirl watcher. I know. Guilty pleasure, don't laugh at my horrible indulgence.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1335639192|3183009 said:

And LOLA! I am an avid GossipGirl watcher. I know. Guilty pleasure, don't laugh at my horrible indulgence.

I'm not laughing. I'm addicted too!! LOVE LOVE LOVE GG! :twirl:

audball

Ideal_Rock

Hold on, Lola is a nick name for Charlotte? Or was that just another suggestion altogether... ? :confused:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1335652670|3183142 said:

Hold on, Lola is a nick name for Charlotte? Or was that just another suggestion altogether... ? :confused:

Nickname for Charlotte :)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
FF and I already have a boy's name picked out for when we eventually have children a few years down the road: Max. We both LOVE the name, and it's so cute when he says something like "Do you think Max will like _____?" or "I'm going to teach Max how to _____."

Unfortunately we haven't really yet found a girl name we like or that flows well with his last name, so we just affectionately refer to a potential future daughter as "what's-her-name" (as in, "I can't to go shoe shopping for what's-her-name!"). :lol:

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
beesha77|1335577656|3182607 said:

I also love Nolan!

Haha Revenge came to mind when reading the above. I watch too much TV :nono: The name Victoria is growing on me. And GG is also my guilty pleasure.

My name is pretty uncommon and I liked being the only "..." in class. My name is traditional from my country of birth and I like it's Roman meaning as well. I want something similar for my kid(s). Traditional, good meaning and is easy to pronounce/spell. Although with the new spelling of many common names I think we will all have to spell our names soon!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1335653736|3183158 said:
audball|1335652670|3183142 said:

Nickname for Charlotte :)
Who knew!? I never heard that one! Lola is cute :) :)

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I love Charlotte with the nickname Lottie, but I know that's just the German in me trying to fight it's way out :)

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I also don't like when people name their kid something but then call them something else. If you like that name so much why didn't you just name them that? I don't mean cutesie nicknames. I mean like naming your kid Jackson and then calling them Jack.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't get the whole possessive drama when it comes to baby names. If you like a name, use it, and don't worry whether someone else you know has named his/her kid the same name.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1335736323|3183594 said:
I don't get the whole possessive drama when it comes to baby names. If you like a name, use it, and don't worry whether someone else you know has named his/her kid the same name.

Well. I don't get the drama when it's over a name like "John". Because there's always going to be a million Johns. But if I wanted to name my child Lenina, for say, a super UNcommon name, and my BFF decides to "steal it" first, if she got pregnant first.. and I still name my child my favorite name.. it will feel like I copied her.

And even if it was a more common name, just having a 2nd child with the same name within the same social circle is awkward. Imagine a get-together and you yell out your child's name.. and both respond.. But I'm not worried about that because I don't like common name :)

So I'm possessive. :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beesha77|1335733973|3183583 said:
I also don't like when people name their kid something but then call them something else. If you like that name so much why didn't you just name them that? I don't mean cutesie nicknames. I mean like naming your kid Jackson and then calling them Jack.

What if you want Jackson because it sounds more "powerful", but it's too long and formal for daily use?
Okay, maybe not Jackson.. but what about Maximilianus? And calling him Max?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1335757012|3183761 said:

What if you want Jackson because it sounds more "powerful", but it's too long and formal for daily use?

I agree with this reasoning. My friend's nephew is named Maximillian (?...I have no idea how the full name is spelled lol) but they all call him Max.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1335757874|3183769 said:
madelise|1335757012|3183761 said:

I agree with this reasoning. My friend's nephew is named Maximillian (?...I have no idea how the full name is spelled lol) but they all call him Max.

Or Bart for Bartholomew.

Okay I gotta dig up my Bible and find more long names lol. Powerhouse names. But totally annoying to have to yell out across the courtyard when he's misbehaving.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I tend to agree with name your kind what you want them to be called, period, end of story. BUT there are some names where I think shortening works if you do in fact like both.

I don't really get the super long names at all. Nobody uses those ever. It's always going to be the short. In that case, just use the short version and be done with it.

I find it more acceptable for names like Jackson, actually. Also, my fave, Nathan. They have a more professional sounding name that is of a length that people this century may actually use, but more casually for friends/family they can (if they want) go by a shorter version like Jack or Nate.

That's where thinking through the nicknames matters to me. If I don't like the shorter version, I wouldn't choose it because SOMEBODY is going to call them that whether you like it or not.

For instance, I love the name Matthew. But I dislike Matt. I wouldn't choose it because he would end up being Matt at school and everywhere else. It's one of those given shorter versions that you can't avoid. So I just wouldn't choose it.

I tend to prefer names that just don't have nicknames to avoid the whole thing, but particularly with classic/traditional boy names, they usually all have some shortened version.

Michael - Mike
Matthew - Matt
Lucas - Luke
James - Jim or Jimmy
Daniel - Dan
Nathan - Nate
Jackson - Jack
Robert - Bob or Rob
Richard - Rick or Dick or Ricky
Andrew - Andy or Drew
Nicholas - Nick
Jonathan - Jon
Martin - Marty

See what I mean? If you go classic/traditional it's pretty hard to avoid. Which is why I would HAVE to consider all options of shortening before choosing.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1335756866|3183760 said:
Zoe|1335736323|3183594 said:

Well. I don't get the drama when it's over a name like "John". Because there's always going to be a million Johns. But if I wanted to name my child Lenina, for say, a super UNcommon name, and my BFF decides to "steal it" first, if she got pregnant first.. and I still name my child my favorite name.. it will feel like I copied her.

And even if it was a more common name, just having a 2nd child with the same name within the same social circle is awkward. Imagine a get-together and you yell out your child's name.. and both respond.. But I'm not worried about that because I don't like common name :)

So I'm possessive. :naughty:

Okay, we can agree to disagree. :)) I don't see how it would be awkward if both kids respond to their name being called. I do see what you mean about super uncommon names, but I still don't get calling dibs.

My mom and my aunt actually did this. I had forgotten about it until this thread, and I forgot to mention it yesterday. My mom and my aunt both liked the same name for a boy: Kevin. They decided that whoever had a boy first would get to use the name. My mom ended up having a girl and she actually considered using the name anyway, just with a different spelling. Apparently she knew a girl named Kevyn and liked it. Anyway, my dad talked her out of it and they named my sister a more typical girl's name. My aunt wound up having a boy a few years later and his name is Kevin. :bigsmile:

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
This may be an unpopular response, but I don't like the idea of calling dibs on a name for an unborn, unconceived child that may or may not ever exist. My fiance and I have talked about names we like, but until I am actually pregnant with a child of known gender I would never have my heart set on a name.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
gem_anemone|1335814745|3184177 said:
This may be an unpopular response, but I don't like the idea of calling dibs on a name for an unborn, unconceived child that may or may not ever exist. My fiance and I have talked about names we like, but until I am actually pregnant with a child of known gender I would never have my heart set on a name.

I can understand that. would you "call dibs" once you had settled on a name when you know you are pregnant with either a boy or a girl though?

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1335815305|3184182 said:
gem_anemone|1335814745|3184177 said:

I can understand that. would you "call dibs" once you had settled on a name when you know you are pregnant with either a boy or a girl though?

I think once we pick a name and start spreading the word to friends and family.... 1) we would not pick a name that someone else has already chosen and announced and 2) if we did happen to pick something that someone else has NOT previously announced and they named their baby that name before I had our kid, well..... I'd probably use it anyway. I am not a mind reader and I didn't know they were going to use it when I started telling people. My friends and family would know I said it first and that is good enough for me.

Unless....if I thought some B**** stole my name on purpose I would stay away from it. LOL

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results