shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling dibs: pocessiveness over baby names.

audball

Ideal_Rock
gem_anemone|1335817695|3184209 said:
I think once we pick a name and start spreading the word to friends and family.... 1) we would not pick a name that someone else has already chosen and announced and 2) if we did happen to pick something that someone else has NOT previously announced and they named their baby that name before I had our kid, well..... I'd probably use it anyway. I am not a mind reader and I didn't know they were going to use it when I started telling people. My friends and family would know I said it first and that is good enough for me.

Unless....if I thought some B**** stole my name on purpose I would stay away from it. LOL
I think this is a logical approach :)

All I can say is that I'm super glad we started talking names early! We're not talking kids for another 7 years or so, but it's probably going to take us that long to agree on names! :lol:

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
We had a bet and I lost it...so he gets to pick the names. I am positive they will all be named Jason.

audball

Ideal_Rock
mandasand|1335890173|3184840 said:
We had a bet and I lost it...so he gets to pick the names. I am positive they will all be named Jason.
Really? I don't think I'd be okay with that. I'd still want veto power if I absolutely hated the choice.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mandasand|1335890173|3184840 said:

Kidding, or serious? :confused: (Forgive me, the interwebz is really hard to tell.)

I once bet with my boyfriend while he was drunk for his car. Won the bet. I pretend all the time it's mine. But it's a joke? I also joked once about betting for his balls. I won that too. Haha, he definitely still has those so.. I'm hoping to god that you don't lose your right to naming a child you half conceived, but CARRIED for 9 months over a bet?

Totally tangent thought: Did anyone watch How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days? His package was named Princess Sophia. I loved the name Sophie and Sophia until that movie. ;( Now I can't think of anything else but some guy's thingamadoodle when I hear the name Sophia. ;( ;( ;(

Zoe - yes, agree to disagree lol. :oops: Sorry. I do tend to get too serious on these boards :errrr: Didn't mean to come off b*tchy.

Nicxt - are you Armenian by any chance? Don't have to answer. I understand this is a public board. I just know a handful of Armenian "Miriam"s, and a handful of families that all start their names with the same letter. I like the name Miriam.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
nope ;-) not armenian

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madelise, no need to apologize! Tone is hard to convey over the Internet. I wasn't annoyed at all and I'm sorry if I came across that way.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1335910289|3185073 said:
Madelise, no need to apologize! Tone is hard to convey over the Internet. I wasn't annoyed at all and I'm sorry if I came across that way.

Seriously, we have one great group of LIWs currently. :love: I stayed lurking for a long time prior to the pre-loved section requiring sign-ins.. because of how catty some LIWs can get with each other. Thanks for being awesome, Zoe. :)

Nicstx, I give up :loopy: aha. Not that any of that matters. I can try another religious/ethnic group, but.. I'd rather not care about that. BTW what does your sn mean. I kept scrolling down to double check if I spelled it right. You're currently "Nice Stix" without the E and I in my head.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I played lacrosse in high school - it's a nickname that I initially used as a screen name and then just became my go to name. Remember AOL and instant messenger? SO LONG AGO!

anyhoo, it's derived from "quick sticks" - a game we would play where you'd catch the ball and attempt to return without cradling in an effort to catch your partner off guard. I usually won ;-) just FYI.

also, STX is a lacrosse brand... it's a long way from but the name has held it's own.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
would NOT have guessed any of that. at all. haha.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
perrrrrfect ;-), anonymity remains mine!... unless an old high school buddy decides to search my old screen name online. ...that would be awkward.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
gem_anemone|1335814745|3184177 said:
This may be an unpopular response, but I don't like the idea of calling dibs on a name for an unborn, unconceived child that may or may not ever exist. My fiance and I have talked about names we like, but until I am actually pregnant with a child of known gender I would never have my heart set on a name.
My baby won't have a name until I meet him or her. My siblings and I were all named in the hospital, and all were named something other than the leading contender up until then.

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
nicstx|1335927204|3185341 said:
I played lacrosse in high school - it's a nickname that I initially used as a screen name and then just became my go to name. Remember AOL and instant messenger? SO LONG AGO!

anyhoo, it's derived from "quick sticks" - a game we would play where you'd catch the ball and attempt to return without cradling in an effort to catch your partner off guard. I usually won ;-) just FYI.

also, STX is a lacrosse brand... it's a long way from but the name has held it's own.

Omg I used to play in HS as well! I think i have an STX shirt lying around somewhere. I tried teaching SO how to play one day...he thought it would be easy :lol:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
MissStepcut|1335934406|3185455 said:
gem_anemone|1335814745|3184177 said:
This may be an unpopular response, but I don't like the idea of calling dibs on a name for an unborn, unconceived child that may or may not ever exist. My fiance and I have talked about names we like, but until I am actually pregnant with a child of known gender I would never have my heart set on a name.
My baby won't have a name until I meet him or her. My siblings and I were all named in the hospital, and all were named something other than the leading contender up until then.

I do agree with this, I will have a couple of names in the hospital that I like, and depending on a bunch of factors choose the one the seems right. This hasn't stopped me from making sure I have all the information needed and have vetted these names out in my head way before I need to :) But no matter if there are 5 names or 2 names on the list, we won't be announcing a name until the child is born!

Anyone else like the idea of picking a name (or at least a middle name) based on the child's actual birthday? Like, if my child is awesome enough to be born on Kurt Vonnegut's, Nikola Tesla's, or Mark Twain's birthday, or a great-great grandparent's birthday how can you NOT incorporate that into the kids name?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Magpie09|1335953209|3185535 said:

Omg I used to play in HS as well! I think i have an STX shirt lying around somewhere. I tried teaching SO how to play one day...he thought it would be easy :lol:

lol, did he bat it away like in baseball? that's what mine did with the goofiest face i'd ever seen! ha!

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
nicstx|1336005579|3186177 said:
Magpie09|1335953209|3185535 said:

lol, did he bat it away like in baseball? that's what mine did with the goofiest face i'd ever seen! ha!

Haha yes. Or the ball just bounced right back out.

audball

Ideal_Rock
She was nice sticks to me too madelise! ;-)

I love knowing the meaning behind people's screen names. Fun times. Another thread idea? :naughty:

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
It was a joke that ALL our kids would be named JASON. But I did lose the bet. He already has names picked out and they are decent. I'll probably have to fight him on it a little!

audball

Ideal_Rock
That seems really unfair. I get not naming your kid something you hate and having veto power, but that's not a bet I would ever make. I'm pushing it out, I get a say.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Maebelle--one of my close friends is pregnant with a boy now, and I think she is going to name him Felix! I LOVE the name. I have a really different name--not like moonbeam, serenitee, or diamond, but i have never met anyone with the same name. And people get it wrong AAAALLL THE TIME, and it's so annoying. There's something to be said for having a more traditional name--one that people know how to pronounce and spell. Because of that I like more traditional names, but ones that are less common. For instance, I love the names Sophie and Jack, but right now there seem to be zillions of them, so I wouldn't give my child either name.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Hooray, tuffy! Felix means "happy, lucky" in Latin. How can you beat that?

About being too popular. I agree, I keep a close eye on names I like and they are off the list if they get into the top 100 in the US :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
maebelle|1336256001|3188315 said:

About being too popular. I agree, I keep a close eye on names I like and they are off the list if they get into the top 100 in the US :)
I like that meaning! Very nice!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Ya, she told me the meaning and I love it. Felix is different without being crazy. And it's her dad's "American name". He chose it because he is Croatian and his first name was too hard for Americans to say, so it's got some additional meaning for her too.

audball

Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1336428105|3189520 said:
Ya, she told me the meaning and I love it. Felix is different without being crazy. And it's her dad's "American name". He chose it because he is Croatian and his first name was too hard for Americans to say, so it's got some additional meaning for her too.
That's really sweet!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1336428105|3189520 said:

that is a really sweet story! I do know a Felix in real life, and he's pretty awesome and always happy. so it fits quite well!

audball

Ideal_Rock
So....any other names on a love or hate list? I'm still trying to come up with the perfect names that we can agree on! So hard.

Andrew has a very common/plain last name. I'm excited to ditch my long one for his, but it does pose a potential problem with having super duper common names if we go too classic/traditional on firsts.

Any good websites you guys have scoured?

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I have SUCH A HARD TIME thinking of baby names! Luckily I have a fair few years to continue the search.

As a child I loved the name Lucy. When my sister was born (I was six) my Mum allowed me to pick her middle name from a few choices, but I insisted on Lucy. So, I have now used Lucy. I can't imagine using it on my own child now because I feel like it just 'belongs' to my sister! In a nice way.

I love the name Vada (as in the movie My Girl), but lets be real, it just reminds everyone of Darth Vader! :tongue:

I have very run-of-the-mill first and second names, so I'd like to pick something that isn't in the Top 100 Baby Names list! My name is constantly in the Top 10, ahh!

audball

Ideal_Rock
That's cute that you helped name your sister! My mom picked my older sister's first and middle name. My dad chose my first and middle (I'm the second child). And my younger sister (there are only three of us) they each choice one of her names.

I'm hoping NOT to choose something in the top 100, but since some of my favorites are very classic/traditional, that may be unlikely (particularly for boy names).

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Most of my favorites got just slightly more popular, but are still in the low 200-300s. Thank goodness :) Eleanor is 150 but Felix is 311.

I'm only slightly surprised Sophia overtook Isabella. Usually the top girl name stays at the top longer than Isabella did

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maebelle|1337021977|3195013 said:
Most of my favorites got just slightly more popular, but are still in the low 200-300s. Thank goodness :) Eleanor is 150 but Felix is 311.

I'm only slightly surprised Sophia overtook Isabella. Usually the top girl name stays at the top longer than Isabella did

lol, all the Twihards fizzled their love over to Hunger Games. Next year, we'll see Katniss, Peeta, Primrose and Rue on the list, LOL!!! :lol:

And the following year? Well, now everyone's in love with 50 shades of gray.. so let me guess. Christian and Anastasia?

Since these names are less typical, with an exception of Christian, I don't think we'll see it on the Top 10 list like we did with the Twilight characters, but it sure as hell won't surprise me to see them all of a sudden listed under the Top 100.

I love the name Sophia and Sophie. I just can't. Shake. "Princess Sophia". from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Out. of. My. Head. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results