shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Hooray, Neat!!! So exciting!!!

Here are my bump pictures up to 19 weeks. I need to take my 21 week picture this weekend.

tummies.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neat how exciting! You can maybe go to the hospital late tonight if you think the roads will be bad??

Courtney lovely bump!! From the pictures anyways it looks like you will be a "late popper" like I was
9.gif
I suspect you won't start looking totally preggo until you hit about 26 weeks... that's when I noticed a real difference! It sucks to not be able to enjoy being socially pregnant as long as some others, but I think the more compact belly makes for less discomfort and better mobility for longer, at least that's what it seems like to me, so it balances out!

29w 4d

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I''ve popped though! I''m getting comments from strangers even, so I know it''s obvious.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Neat~Yay!!
36.gif
So excited for you! Drive carefully!

Sabine~Just read that things look good! Big sigh of relief.

Pave~Sorry about your DH's job.

Courtney~Your belly shots look a lot like mine! I didn't really look pregnant until 25 weeks or so. You're just so tiny!

back to where I belong.....Enjoy the holidays ladies!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Neat- im so excited for u I just can''t take it! So surreal to imagine this day actually happening! Omg I hope u enjoy the whole experience and keep us posted! Can''t wait to see those "bakers" in real life :))

Courtney- cute belly...I think skinny ppl get the advantage of popping a bit sooner and it actually showing to others lol...cute cute!

Pave- thinking of ya

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, girls.

Question: Are you planning on requesting that the baby(s) be placed on your chest immediately after delivery? Or are you having them cleaned up first?

Edit: And are you planning on have the baby(s) room with you after delivery or placed in the nursery so you can rest?

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Court- my peference is take a look and get cleaned then come to mama lol ;-) I wish I could handle the whole wet and messy thing but im afraid I won''t take it well (if ya know what I mean)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 11:39:04 AM
Author: Courtneylub
Thanks, girls.

Question: Are you planning on requesting that the baby(s) be placed on your chest immediately after delivery? Or are you having them cleaned up first?

Edit: And are you planning on have the baby(s) room with you after delivery or placed in the nursery so you can rest?
I am planning the former, and if possible I don't want the baby moved until totally necessary. Apparently they can cut the cord, clean them up etc without moving them, and the baby is very alert in those first moments and will usually start breast feeding right away if they are given the chance! That's the experience a few of my friends had anyways. And I probably won't let the baby leave my body (unless medically required) for a long long while after birth, for the same reasons as above. If you are unmedicated, there are lots of hormones that make you feel very alert and awake, so it is a good time for bonding.

But every mom makes their own choices about this, there are pluses and minuses about both and probably no "right" way to do it.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 11:47:58 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 12/18/2008 11:39:04 AM
Thanks, girls.

I am planning the former, and if possible I don''t want the baby moved until totally necessary. Apparently they can cut the cord, clean them up etc without moving them, and the baby is ery alert in those first moments and will usually start breast feeding right away if they are given the chance! That''s the experience a few of my friends had anyways. And I probably won''t let the baby leave my body (unless medically required) for a long long while after birth, for the same reasons as above.

But every mom makes their own choices about this, there are pluses and minuses about both and probably no ''right'' way to do it.
Right...I do believe I want the baby in the room with me at all times possible, especially if I''m nursing. But would it be beneficial at all to have her in the nursery (at night while sleeping) and the nurses bring her to me when she''s hungry?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 11:49:56 AM

Right...I do believe I want the baby in the room with me at all times possible, especially if I''m nursing. But would it be beneficial at all to have her in the nursery (at night while sleeping) and the nurses bring her to me when she''s hungry?
I think that many of the moms here on PS have talked about liking that support, and how it helped them recover... I think I recall snlee talking about that a few pages back... for me in particular I won''t be staying in the hospital (unless there are medical problems) so it isn''t really a decision I need to make. Maybe you can just play it be ear and see how you feel? You may prefer the quiet and the help of the nurses, but you may also prefer having your baby. Who knows until the moment comes?

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Neat, I can''t believe it''s tomorrow already! I''m so excited for you!

Courtney, cute bump pics! I need to remember to take one this weekend. I always thought I''d be grossed out by all the goop on the baby when it''s first born, but now I''m thinking I might want it placed on my chest right away. After all, it won''t be my clothes that get ruined and I won''t have to deal with washing them.
1.gif
We''re thinking that we want to have DH be the one to tell me the baby''s sex though so he''ll need to have the first look. I definitely want to have the baby in the room with us the whole time.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I was curious to see what everyone''s opinion was. I''m trying to type up a birthing plan and it asks you those questions. I believe I want Alila placed on my chest immediately after even if she''s all goopy!
1.gif
I''ve been watching Baby Story religiously this week and even though it''s kinda yucky, it''s a beautiful moment.

I think maybe if I''m nursing that it''d be silly to have her in the nursery at night. They will be bring her in every couple of hours regardless, so I won''t get much sleep as it is.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Neat- Wow, so close. Tomorrow is my sister''s birthday, I''ve always liked that date, it just sounds good. Silly, I know! Good luck, hope it''s as smooth and peaceful as possible!

Courtney- You look great!!!! I bet people are commenting b/c you look like you are naturally pretty little, so any bellly on you is probably abnormal. I don''t know why I always assumed that I (or everyone) looked preggo right away, but clearly I was wrong!!!

DD- That''s awesome that you have two more interviews. I am amazed by your energy! I can barely get through the day as it is, and I am nowhere near as preggo as you! My doc said flying that late is fine. Is it a far flight???? I think T-Gal did a pretty long flight (maybe to Australia?) when she was pretty preggo, if I remember correctly.

No opinion yet on where exactly the baby will be placed after it arrives! Geez, there is so much to learn and decide. I haven''t yet wrapped my head around the preggo part, much less the actual baby part. I will be interested in hearing what all of your experiences are though!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 12:12:27 PM
Author: robbie3982
... I always thought I'd be grossed out by all the goop on the baby when it's first born, but now I'm thinking I might want it placed on my chest right away. After all, it won't be my clothes that get ruined and I won't have to deal with washing them.
1.gif
And it is YOUR own goop after all, it comes out of your body. That has to make a difference! If we can get used to checking our CF a million times a day, I think we can handle a little of our own blood and mucus and poop.
11.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 12:25:39 PM
Date: 12/18/2008 12:12:27 PM

... I always thought I''d be grossed out by all the goop on the baby when it''s first born, but now I''m thinking I might want it placed on my chest right away. After all, it won''t be my clothes that get ruined and I won''t have to deal with washing them.
1.gif

And it is YOUR own goop after all, it comes out of your body. That has to make a difference! If you can get used to checking your CF a million times a day, I think you can handle a little of your own blood and mucus and poop.
11.gif

Mucus and poop, no problem. It''s the blood I''m worried about. I don''t deal well with blood.
14.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 12:21:44 PM
Author: ChinaCat
DD- That''s awesome that you have two more interviews. I am amazed by your energy! I can barely get through the day as it is, and I am nowhere near as preggo as you! My doc said flying that late is fine. Is it a far flight???? I think T-Gal did a pretty long flight (maybe to Australia?) when she was pretty preggo, if I remember correctly.
It is a far flight, all the way to the other side of the country and I am not a good flyer... I get motion sickness. On the flight I took in November my antinausea medicine (called Gravol in Canada, which is safe for preggos though not a class A drug like Tylenol) COMPLETELY failed and I upchucked a bunch of times on the outbound flight. Anyways that is one reason DH is coming with me.

As for energy, yours will return!! Wait until you are out of the first trimester. But every preggo is different. Some women experience a lot of fatigue and others don''t. I have generally felt really good, but I get winded walking up one lousy flight of stairs now
20.gif
At my interview I had to ask them to take the elevators with me everywhere we went!
1.gif
I was dead on my feet by the end of the first day, but I would have felt that way when I wasn''t preggo! My day started at 8am, included a 2 hour research presentation, meetings with 8 different people, and a business lunch and dinner, and ended at 9pm! And now I get to do that two more times!
14.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 12:27:18 PM

Mucus and poop, no problem. It''s the blood I''m worried about. I don''t deal well with blood.
14.gif
LOL! I bet all your will see is your little baby!
30.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 10:01:06 PM
Pave I definitely think you are gearing up for something good! I will be thinking of you in the days ahead, and hoping you a great L&D and also hoping that the doctors were all WRONG and your little baby is healthy and vigorous!

Pave, I don''t know how I missed it, but is there something concerning your baby? I was about to say how I''m still thinking about you for your husband''s job, but now I''m sending double, triple, quadruple good thoughts your way!

Neat, I can''t believe you get to meet your boys tomorrow! Just make sure your dh drives carefully in that crazy snow!

Dreamer, so exciting about the interviews! I''m sure you''ll be fine flying!

Courtney, cute bump! I think I would want the baby placed on my chest right away! It''s cool how Dreamer said her friends were able to start bfing immediately, I don''t know if I would have thought of that (I still have a good ways to go though...) I think it would be a great thing to do if possible.

Well, I know it''s early, but I offically told work today both that I''m pregnant and that this is officially my last year as dh got news yesterday that he will be doing his residency at the Naval hospital in Portsmouth, VA. It was really exciting to tell work and all my kids! My students pretty much guessed I was pregnant since I kept having to go to dr.''s appts. and was eating all day and nauseous.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just want to wish you the best of luck tomorrow nf! I can''t wait to see your boys!!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Funny..my mom tried to test my blood sugar once and before she even pricked my finger..I fainted LOL...she got scared and spit water at my face (sorry tmi lol)....but my point is I can''t see blood..and I can imagine seeing my babies covered in it..oh boy..its good I will be in a hospital lol...but lucky for all the ladies that can take it..I wish I could have that moment but alas can''t handle it...well they clean them weigh them and give them right back no?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t remember blood on the baby but I am sure there was. I guess I was out of it. I do remember the blood when my water broke (not sure why I thought it would just be clear) and I leaked every time I had a contrax or pushed (nothing is TMI here right? Haha) Fact is I am a very laid back person so a formal birth plan never interested me. I never even thought of the details beyond wanting a doctor, hospital, and epi (and the safest choices for my baby and myself). T was born with meconium so we did not hold her right away (nor did DH cut her cord which honestly didn''t phase us). My doc held her up, said it''s a girl (I remember thinking she was so long b/c she was stiff and her eyes were open so WIDE just looking at me) and they whisked her away to the corner where the peds team did their magic. She was probably 15 minutes old when I held her for the first time. She was not bathed first (they do that in the nursery) but they wiped her off and swaddled her. The moment was just as special to me as if I held her at one second old. In fact she went to the nursery fairly quickly for tests and a bath so I did not nurse her until she was around 1 hour old. My point is labor is ANYTHING but predictable so don''t stress over the details. In the moment you will be surprised by what DOESN''T gross you out! There are so many emotions, energy, excitement...not much time to really THINK about what is really going on.

NF, I am so excited for you and your family. Best of luck tomorrow! I can''t wait to hear all the details!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Cute bump Courtney!

In answer to your questions... my immediate reaction is please bath my baby first, but when the time comes I probably won''t care!

In the UK, unless your baby is taken to NICU, there are no nurseries - you have the baby with you all the time. I''m lucky that my hospital only has 3 beds on each post-natal ward, lots of other hospitals have big wards, so it''s not just your baby making noise but all the others as well! Hence why most people try to get out asap - you can go home a few hours after the birth if everything was normal and the paediatricians have signed off the baby.

I saw the pain clinic guy yesterday which was really helpful - he''s given me permission to take 60mg of codeine up to twice a week if I need extra analgesia, so that was a relief. He also reckons that the withdrawal for the baby should be okay, but can''t confirm it.

We talked about my theory that breastfeeding will be the best way of weaning the child off both my meds over a longish period of time. Sadly there''s very little research available - however I think I''ve just become his next paper as he wasnts to follow me up every 8 weeks. LOL!

Also saw my GP this morning - he was all excited that I have a bump.
1.gif

I''ve also been allocated a social worker by my psychiatrist who called me this pm, she sounds very nice, and she will be the person who will be visiting me all the time once the baby is born, so I hope we get on well. I get to meet her on Dec 30th.

I also now own a crib! Hooray!

I bought the ArmsReach Mini Co-Sleeper in the tan dot pattern. You can''t get them in the UK at all and I found this one on ebay. It still cost me $160 secondhand, which is the same as the new price in the USA. However, the bigger version is twice the price over here than it is in America, so it was a bargain in my book! There were about 8 other bidders, so I wasn''t sure I would get it at all.

It should be fine till the baby is 7/9 months depending how quickly it can haul itself up - neither DH or I were early developers in the athletic department so we should get plenty of use - so we don''t need to buy a proper cotbed for a good long while.

NF - all the best for tomorrow! Can''t wait to see the pictures of your boys!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
You r probably so right tacori...I bet I may not even think about being grossed out and may scream I want my babies lol...sounds like such a great experience..ugh can''t wait :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neatfreak,
Tomorrow is the day!!! Wishing you all the best. Can''t wait to meet your boys!!!
36.gif

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora,

Is there anyway I can contact you away from PS? I have some questions for you that I''m not sure I want to share over public forum.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 10:01:06 PM
Pave I definitely think you are gearing up for something good! I will be thinking of you in the days ahead, and hoping you a great L&D and also hoping that the doctors were all WRONG and your little baby is healthy and vigorous!

As for me, I just found out today that I have two more job interviews!
23.gif
One is driving distance, but the other requires that I fly... I scheduled it for as early as possible--the first week of January--when I will be 32 week preggo. The university pays for all my travel, but I am going to use airmiles to bring DH along, I just don''t feel comfortable going so far by myself when I am that pregnant.

Lurkers and mommas: Has anyone else flown that late in their pregnancies? How did you find it? I will get a note from my midwife stating I am safe to fly... do you think I need to do anything else?
Dreamer thanks so much for your good thoughts and wishes!
Congratulations on the news that more interviews are coming! How did the other one go? When would you hear something? It sounds like you will be in good shape to fly. Can''t the ob who is above your midwife just write the letter for you? I thought they ultimately practice under the dr. Am I incorrect?

I think you will understand my current feelings- going through some confusion re: birth plan. I have a doula and was really hoping to go natural,etc. with the hope that I will be great at it, but understanding that I might change my mind and take some pain meds/epidural...I have a great hope that I would be able to achieve a natural birth as so many other ppl have done it and it seems like such a beautiful thing...
The problem is that my ob is now really pushing for an induction date- yuck! I am afraid that if I am induced, even with my doula, I will not be able to handle the pain, etc with the pitocin without some medical intervention. Not to mention my apprehension with the possibility of the induction not "working" and ending up with a c-section. Shoot. I''m bummed because I feel like they are doing it partially out of convenience and partially out of wanting a controlled environment since the baby has the heart problem. I mean, if I make the wrong choice and something happens to the baby, that will beyond suck. Soooooo sorry for this long vent.
My dh says just wait and see, which I agree with- maybe with my little pre labor signs things will move along on their own? I can go try spicy food, sex, walking, accupunture and see where that gets me too.
thanks for reading if you made it to the end!

Neatfreak omg you are soooo very close. I am just waiting for the minute to read your post! Isn''t it incredible? You didn''t answer from yesterday- are you doing anything special today to pamper yourself or any last minute nesting? I am getting some stuff done around the house. It feels good. I''m thinking of you...

Sabine congrats on announcing- that is so much fun. I had fun telling ppl and actually liked the attention from being pregnant. Are you excited about Va? It should be nice down there, no? Is it near the water?
Our baby has a heart defect that will need surgery within the first week of life and then some othersIvalve replacement) later in life. We are at a great hospital and in good hands. The defect is not the worst he could have and not the easiest- somewhere in the middle. We do have tons of support and are very hopeful that things will go smoothly- and also appreciative of the ppl like dreamer who are sending thoughts of a healthy baby ! Thanks for asking.

Burk, and Nyc thanks for the good wishes. DH and I talked for a while last night and it seems like the pkg he will get is pretty good. Not an ideal time economy wise to need a job but he is pretty marketable so I will just keep thinking positive. He is also going to take the short term disablilty available in Ca that you can have for 6 weeks- I feel llike he should since he paid into and is entitled to it. Then his package will start after that. So it seems like we got it worked out for now. And I think I will add Dh and baby to my insurance instead of using Cobra.

Hope all is well with eveyrone else! take care!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
33.gif

Date: 12/18/2008 2:49:18 PM
Author: pavelover
Dreamer thanks so much for your good thoughts and wishes!
Congratulations on the news that more interviews are coming! How did the other one go? When would you hear something? It sounds like you will be in good shape to fly. Can''t the ob who is above your midwife just write the letter for you? I thought they ultimately practice under the dr. Am I incorrect?
My interview went great! I won''t hear anything for another month, but that time will fly since I have Christmas and then two interviews in the interim, so that will stop me from going mental!

The system is very different in Canada. Midwives are independent health-care providors who are equal to doctors in terms of their ability to make decisions etc in cases of normal health pregnancy. So our midwives do not practice under an OB. What happens here is that if certain types of complications arise (e.g., gestational diabetes requiring insulin, any required surgery, or induction, or epis) then it is considered a Transfer of care and an OB takes over your primary care and the midwives become support people.

Date: 12/18/2008 2:49:18 PM
Author: pavelover

I think you will understand my current feelings- going through some confusion re: birth plan. I have a doula and was really hoping to go natural,etc. with the hope that I will be great at it, but understanding that I might change my mind and take some pain meds/epidural...I have a great hope that I would be able to achieve a natural birth as so many other ppl have done it and it seems like such a beautiful thing...
The problem is that my ob is now really pushing for an induction date- yuck! I am afraid that if I am induced, even with my doula, I will not be able to handle the pain, etc with the pitocin without some medical intervention. Not to mention my apprehension with the possibility of the induction not ''working'' and ending up with a c-section. Shoot. I''m bummed because I feel like they are doing it partially out of convenience and partially out of wanting a controlled environment since the baby has the heart problem. I mean, if I make the wrong choice and something happens to the baby, that will beyond suck. Soooooo sorry for this long vent.
My dh says just wait and see, which I agree with- maybe with my little pre labor signs things will move along on their own? I can go try spicy food, sex, walking, accupunture and see where that gets me too.
thanks for reading if you made it to the end!
Pave, I think your DH is right and all you can do is take it as it comes. In your shoes, I would do everything I could to get labour going on my own, but if it didn''t, then I would try to schedule an induction date for about a week post due date (is that possible or are they pushing for an earlier induction date for medical reasons?)... and then if I needed to be induced I would bring my doula and my DH and see how it went. I know someone who has done medication-free labour with and without being induced, and she didn''t really think they were much different! The induced labour was first, and she thought the intensity of the contax was due to induction, but then with her second labour she realized that it always feels like that
3.gif
Anyways, I know it is worrisome, but you have to just be kind to yourself and know that if it is natural you may need pain meds, and if it is induced you may be able to go natural! Either way, given the extra complications because of your son''s heart, it is probably best to have well-rested and happy doctors around, and if that means being induced, that''s ok. You will still have a wonderful experience if you let yourself go with the flow and don''t hold yourself to too many expectations.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 12:09:09 PM
Date: 12/18/2008 11:49:56 AM

I think that many of the moms here on PS have talked about liking that support, and how it helped them recover... I think I recall snlee talking about that a few pages back... for me in particular I won''t be staying in the hospital (unless there are medical problems) so it isn''t really a decision I need to make. Maybe you can just play it be ear and see how you feel? You may prefer the quiet and the help of the nurses, but you may also prefer having your baby. Who knows until the moment comes?
DH and I decided to have our son with us 24-7. We considered sending him to the nursery at night but DH was opposed. The nurses came in frequently to check baby and me and helped change diapers, which was very helpful. Curlygirl had Lucy stay in the nursery both nights so she could get her rest before going home and said it was the best decision ever. It really depends on what you prefer.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 10:03:46 AM
Author: neatfreak
I just have to say that barring any complications in 24 hours my DH should be holding our babies and I should be headed toward the recovery room to hold them myself!!! Ahhhh. Crazy.

Except of course tonight we are supposed to get 8-10 inches of snow. And I am supposed to be at the hospital at 6:30am. Interesting...
NF, I am so excited for you! I can''t wait to meet your boys! Good luck! Drive carefully.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 1:27:42 PM
Author: Sabine
[... It''s cool how Dreamer said her friends were able to start bfing immediately, I don''t know if I would have thought of that (I still have a good ways to go though...) I think it would be a great thing to do if possible.
Obviously lots of women BF without having that first experience, but from what I have read and from a number of my friends experiences, there are hormones released in the baby during birth that really cause the baby to become alert and awake and almost primed to learn to breast feed in the 30 to 60 minutes after being born--this is apparently a little more common when the birth is natural, as some evidence suggests that the hormones released from mom to baby and in the baby are not exactly the same when an epi is used (obviously arguable, but this is one perspective). My friends said it was the strangest thing seeing their newborn wiggle towards the nipple and just start sucking away like a little piggie, eyes wide open, staring at them! Incidentally, this story is common to about 4 people I know, who all had unmedicated births, so who knows. But whether you use an epi or not, the evidence does seem to suggest that if you can establish BFing in the firs t30 - 60 minutes of life it is much much easier than trying later on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results