shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all SI2 diamond owners??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Need_ring_quickly

Rough_Rock
I had originally decided that I didn''t want to go any lower then SI1 on the clarity of the stone I am purchasing, but I keep hearing that Radiant cut diamonds hide imperfections well and that SI2 will be just fine and that my stone will still be beautiful. I have found a stone that has everything I want and has a wonderful price except it''s SI2, So I ask...will this detract from the beauty of this stone? Do those of you that own a SI2 diamond regret it, or is your diamond as gorgeous as you had always hoped it would be?

thanks in advance!
36.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi Need ring quickly, do you have any more information about this S12? The only reason I ask is that some inclusions (feathers) in certain places may be a structural problem, so I would think you would want to have the pricescope community comment on a specific stone before buying it? Just food for thought! Best wishes!

Need_ring_quickly

Rough_Rock
What kind of info does the pricescope community need? I will see if I can get it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI2 can be a great choice if eyeclean, the grading inclusions would be useful plus photos of the diamond if you can get them. ASET images would also be very useful if available. SI2 will usually not detract from the brilliance of the diamond providing clouds are not the grade making inclusion and the diamond is eyeclean.

What type of lab report does this diamond have and what is the colour grade? Have you seen the diamond in person?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:14:05 AM
Author: Lorelei
if eyeclean,
You need to find out if you can see any of the inclusions (and if you can see them, are they going to bother you)!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 4:22:37 AM
Author: Need_ring_quickly
No, I haven''t seen it in person or seen any pictures of it yet. It is GIA report number 17626253 and I''m going to try and attach a copy of the report.

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Dialog.aspx?ControlPath=Controls/ImageViewer.ascx&ImageUrl=http://www.diamonds.net//UF/31449Certs~26253.jpg

36.gif
Thanks! Ok next step, to determine if this diamond is in the possession of the seller and if so, if the inclusions are visible to the naked eye or not, make sure you tell the seller what your expectations are. For example, if you don''t want to see any inclusions from any angle at close scrutiny, make sure you tell them that.

Then if it is said to be worth further evaluation if it is eyeclean as far as you can tell without seeing it, then photographs of the diamond are the next step. Radiants are tricky and can''t be evaluated by numbers. Also an ASET image would be very helpful if available.

Need_ring_quickly

Rough_Rock
ASET image? I'm not familiar with that? Will they just provide pictures of the diamond if I ask?

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Location of the inclusion is another factor. I have seen some SI2 where the inclusions get reflected all over the other facets...it is horrendous. I usually go for ''eyeclean'' from all angles (unless it can be covered by the prong/setting), and from a viewing distance of 4-6 inches.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I don''t know about the inclusions, but the diamond does seem a bit deep, and it also has a thick girdle.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
i have an SI2... I thought it was eye clean when I first got it... but it turns out the inclusion was placed cleverly under the prong! Which is fine by me!!

CPF0RY0U

Rough_Rock
I found during my search that everyone seems to have their own definition of eye clean.

I was originally looking for a VS1 or VS2 diamond, then when I started looking at SI1 and SI2 diamond, most if not all of them seemed "eye clean" to me. I could see where the inclusions are on the grading report, and I could not find them unless seen at 10X.

As I started looking at more and more diamonds over the course of a few months, I started to be able to see SI2 inclusions and some SI inclusions with the unaided eye! However, this is after looking at a grading a report and knowing where to look.

This means that I cannot find them as a casual observer, but once I knew where they were, I could find them. This may or may not fit one''s person own view of eye clean.

For me, some of these inclusions could bug you, which means it''s back to VS2 and VS1 diamonds for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results