shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Redheads . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I did it - I went Red! Think from Reese Witherspoon to Amy Adams. I love my new color! However, I''m thinking I need to change my makeup and wardrobe. What are your favorite colors and looks (makeup and clothes)? My skin is fair and my eyes are hazel. Any help would be much appreciated. Please feel free to post pics of yourselves sporting your fave looks.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
RED red or strawberry blonde? I haven't seen a redhead Reese, but Amy Adams I think of more as a strawberry blonde (most of the time, anyway).

I don't think any special arrangements need to be made for strawberry-blonde hair, but I may just do so automatically as that's been my (natural) hair color my entire life. My color is about the same as Amy's is most of the time, except mine has a bigger range of high-/low-lights aince it's natural. I tend to think the colors I wear have more to do with skin tone, personal likes/dislikes, and eye color (in that order) more so than hair color... But I guess it all kind of blends together, really.

That said, for whatever it's worth, my favorite colors to wear are green (same as my eyes), white, brown and grey. I'm wearing one of those colors the vast majority of the time. My makeup is very neutral - browns for day, blacks for night.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Musey. Sorry for the confusion - I meant that I went from blonde (Reese Witherspoon) to red (Amy Adams). My color is a little darker than Amy''s, but the same kind of "tone". It''s funny because it makes my skin look completely different and my eyes look more green than hazel. I have a lot of pink in my closet, but I''m not sure if it looks right - and I could never wear blue when I was blonde, but now it works.

I''ll definitely stick with neutrals. I''ve always worn a lot of earth tones - except for gray - so I''ll definitely give that a try. Thanks for the suggestions, Musey.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanna say I
30.gif
red hair!
1.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Blue and purple, all shades, will look amazing. I''ve been a redhead off and on most of my adult life, Marcia Cross red.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
when i was a redhead, i wore pink all the time in the summer! personally i thought it look great.the only thing i made sure, was to pencil my eyebrows in (they are very light & blonde) and have mascara one (also, very blonde).

have fun with your new color!!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My hair turns (from brown/auburn) to Red in the summer. I love greens, purples and my all time favorite, Coral.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, congrats on going red!

For makeup, I find that brown and neutral colors work best (and sometimes a little copper). Pretty much any of the warmer colors; I try to stay away from anything greyish. A bit of purple occasionally looks good, but with pale skin I pretty much stay away from all non-neutral colors.

For clothes I wear almost anything, but a bright blue is by far the best color on me (I also have fair skin and hazel eyes). Greens, browns, and blacks are also nice. Red, orange, and pink tend to clash, but sometimes I get compliments while wearing them so maybe they don't clash as much as I think they do.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of myself ... maybe I can find one when I get home.

ETA: My hair is a bit darker than Amy Adam's color, but a similar tone. In the sunlight it reflects gold
30.gif
I love having red hair.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I find the makeup shifting into more pink/peach tones when I have red hair, as opposed to the normal red or berry shades. Just experiment to see what you can pull off!

Red is fun.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
What brand of dye did you use? I''ve gone red several times and it is so hard to keep. You can literally see the color go down the drain in the shower for the first couple days. It''s even in my towel! It''s so disappointing. So my color is always toned down immediately and it overall it doesn''t last. I keep tints of red - but not enough!
7.gif
I hear the more you dye it red the longer it will last. I''m not sure about that. There is a brand of dye that has a reputation for good reds, but I can''t think of it right now. . . .

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Hoofbeats, I''ve heard the same thing about red hair. My friend died hers red over and over and it never stayed as bright as she wanted. My mom, however, uses a dark blond dye (on her medium brown hair), and her hair comes out red (close enough to my color that people think I inherited my red hair from her, though it''s really from my dad). So I guess it all depends on what undertones you have!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My hair has so many red undertones that it turns out red even if I''m going for a chocolate brown :) I was dark red for the last two years, but have been trying desperately to go back to dark brown as my hair gets longer. I love red, though!

My favorite pairing with red hair is most definitely green. Not anything pastel-y, but a deep green. I also love brighter shades of blue-green with red hair.

I think peaches and pinks look great with any shade of hair, including red!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Whenever I dye my head red I find I can''t wear as much pink but that green looks amazing - it really has a lot to do with the skintone as well what you can pull off :D.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 10:11:48 AM
Author: elrohwen
Hoofbeats, I''ve heard the same thing about red hair. My friend died hers red over and over and it never stayed as bright as she wanted. My mom, however, uses a dark blond dye (on her medium brown hair), and her hair comes out red (close enough to my color that people think I inherited my red hair from her, though it''s really from my dad). So I guess it all depends on what undertones you have!
I was told it has to with the molecule size of red color. Ironically I''ve heard it was the smallest and the largest. What makes the most sense to me is that it''s the largest and doesn''t get into the hair shaft. So it lays on top and then washes out quicker. *shrug* I don''t know. I just know I can''t keep it in and it''s awfully expensive to get it done all the time!

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
I am a natural redhead. My favorite colors to wear for clothing are green, purple and pink.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 4:08:24 AM
Author: Phoenix
Just wanna say I
30.gif
red hair!
1.gif
haven''t met a asian rh yet.
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:06:34 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 4/1/2009 4:08:24 AM

Author: Phoenix

Just wanna say I
30.gif
red hair!
1.gif
haven''t met a asian rh yet.
9.gif
I have!

Wait, you mean natural?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
For those interested, I''ve heard that Redken has the best Red colors and they apparently last the longest too. I haven''t tried that brand, but that is next on my list in a few months. I have used Paul Mitchell and I watched all my money wash right down the drain - literally. That was an expensive salon and it was very sad for me to see the color leave. I did it 3 times I think hoping it would last better the next time. Nope. So I''m definitely heading to a Redken salon next. :)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:24:48 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
For those interested, I''ve heard that Redken has the best Red colors and they apparently last the longest too. I haven''t tried that brand, but that is next on my list in a few months. I have used Paul Mitchell and I watched all my money wash right down the drain - literally. That was an expensive salon and it was very sad for me to see the color leave. I did it 3 times I think hoping it would last better the next time. Nope. So I''m definitely heading to a Redken salon next. :)
Unfortunately, this isn''t true.

Red is the hardest color to get into the hair, and the hardest color to get out. Sure, it fades quickly on the sufface...but if you were to try going to red to blonde, you''d spend an entire day trying to strip the red pigment from the hair. And you''d see your hair go orange, pink and eventually a brassy yellow before you''d have to add some lavender to cancel the yellow out. Removing red (really removing it) is a process and very expensive if you''re going about it the right way because it really qualify as a color correction. And, if I''m being honest with you, your hair will be compromised by the process.

All color companies use the same basic formula. Redken is actually one of the mid-grade colors...you''re looking at $5.00 a bottle wholesale. Paul Mitchell is actually a more expensive product which a higher pigment ratio. So, it is techincally a better color and you get better results for it.

But, none of that matters when it comes to your hair. If you don''t have the right hair to go red, then nothing you use will really work perfectly. You have to keep in mind what is under the red...if you''re not decolorized, if you''re hair is healthy you have better shot getting red and keeping the results. If you''ve been bleaching your hair with either double process or highlights, then that red has nothing to really grab to and it''s going to wash out over time.
So, please keep that in mind when you''re going red...it has less to do with the brand and more to do with your hair quality and history.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:50:18 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Red is the hardest color to get into the hair, and the hardest color to get out. Sure, it fades quickly on the sufface...but if you were to try going to red to blonde, you''d spend an entire day trying to strip the red pigment from the hair. And you''d see your hair go orange, pink and eventually a brassy yellow before you''d have to add some lavender to cancel the yellow out. Removing red (really removing it) is a process and very expensive if you''re going about it the right way because it really qualify as a color correction. And, if I''m being honest with you, your hair will be compromised by the process.

All color companies use the same basic formula. Redken is actually one of the mid-grade colors...you''re looking at $5.00 a bottle wholesale. Paul Mitchell is actually a more expensive product which a higher pigment ratio. So, it is techincally a better color and you get better results for it.

But, none of that matters when it comes to your hair. If you don''t have the right hair to go red, then nothing you use will really work perfectly. You have to keep in mind what is under the red...if you''re not decolorized, if you''re hair is healthy you have better shot getting red and keeping the results. If you''ve been bleaching your hair with either double process or highlights, then that red has nothing to really grab to and it''s going to wash out over time.
So, please keep that in mind when you''re going red...it has less to do with the brand and more to do with your hair quality and history.
Italia - thanks for this info. My hair was done in a salon - but I know that red fades (had it briefly about 12 years ago, for a show I was doing). I previously had highlights and lowlights - so the colorist "filled" my hair with something before the process. Can you recommend something safe to touch up the color myself - in between salon visits? I asked about boxed color - but the stylists advised against it because boxes contain a 20 Volume developer. Could I get a boxed color, mix the developer with equal part water, then pour half of it out - givine me a 10 Volume developer? Would that be safe?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions. I love greens and purples - so I think I need to go shopping! Starset - I''m wearing coral today and I really like that look.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

Date: 4/1/2009 12:15:26 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Italia - thanks for this info. My hair was done in a salon - but I know that red fades (had it briefly about 12 years ago, for a show I was doing). I previously had highlights and lowlights - so the colorist ''filled'' my hair with something before the process. Can you recommend something safe to touch up the color myself - in between salon visits? I asked about boxed color - but the stylists advised against it because boxes contain a 20 Volume developer. Could I get a boxed color, mix the developer with equal part water, then pour half of it out - givine me a 10 Volume developer? Would that be safe?
No, don''t mess with red box color...that''s murder/suicide for hair. Totally not worth it.

I would suggest a shampoo that has color pigment in it...I know years ago Paul Mitchell offer an amazing shampoo/condition that was custom blended with pigment in it.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been doing a red demi for about a year and a half now, and it''s working so well since my natural colour is more a strawberry blonde.

I wear kelly/emerald green as much as I possibly can now, and have found that it works so well with my hair/eye colour. I also find that deeper, richer colours just seem to look better on me than before when I was a blonde.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 12:23:40 PM

Date: 4/1/2009 12:15:26 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Italia - thanks for this info. My hair was done in a salon - but I know that red fades (had it briefly about 12 years ago, for a show I was doing). I previously had highlights and lowlights - so the colorist ''filled'' my hair with something before the process. Can you recommend something safe to touch up the color myself - in between salon visits? I asked about boxed color - but the stylists advised against it because boxes contain a 20 Volume developer. Could I get a boxed color, mix the developer with equal part water, then pour half of it out - givine me a 10 Volume developer? Would that be safe?
No, don''t mess with red box color...that''s murder/suicide for hair. Totally not worth it.

I would suggest a shampoo that has color pigment in it...I know years ago Paul Mitchell offer an amazing shampoo/condition that was custom blended with pigment in it.
Thanks Italia - I really appreciate your expertise! I have some color shampoo from Bumble & Bumble - but I really don''t think that is going to cut it once it starts to fade. What exactly do salons use?

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, LAJennifer! Auburn reds are so much fun to have-- glad to hear that it''s clicking with you.

As a fellow red/pale/hazel, the colors that have worked the best are:
--royal blue
--teal
--jade green
--grass green
--plum
--neutrals (browns, greys, creams, blacks)

Personally, pinks don''t mesh well; I always feel more "washed out" than "glowing" when I''ve tried to wear them. Corals make the skin look paler when you have red hair, so it works if you''re going for that look. I''ve found it makes the hair more noticeable, but makes my face/smile kind of vanish.

As for make-up, I''ve found two of my Chanel Quadras get TONS of use b/c the compliment that Amy Adams coloring. If you can stop by the Chanel counter, have them try out Vanites (pronounced vah-nee-tay(s), sorry, I have no easy french egue on this computer) which is a selection of 4 purple shades that will bring out the green in your eyes even more (and whose cool tones work well with the blues and purples you''ll find working their way into your wardrobe), and Variations which are almond/toast/caramel that have a higher red content than their other browns so you can have a soft, neutral eye that ties into that reddish glow in a subtle way.

BTW, if no one warned you, the first red will fade quickly once you wash it. It is normal. Just keep going back, and typically by the third visit or so the red will finally "grip". You can minimize washaway by (1) using mild color-safe shampoos/conditioners, (2) using cold water instead warm/hot, and even (3) counteract by using a color-depositing shampoo like ARTec in those opening weeks. HTH!
35.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Italia, question for the expert! I see those shampoos that are made for specific hair colors. The blonde and brown ones always say "For natural or color treated hair." The red ones always say "For color treated hair." Do they just assume there are no natural redheads? Or are those products really only helpful for dyed red hair? I think I''ve tried one of these products before and it didn''t seem to make my hair any redder (my hair is naturally strawberry blonde to red).

I''ve just been curious about this for a long time!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock

Well it seems to have a good reputation in my area. I said I just heard that - not that it was fact Again what works well for one person may not for another. To be honest I''ve had better luck with red color from the shelf at WAL-MART than Paul Mitchell. That stuff literally washed down the drain. As it you''d have thought I was bleeding
23.gif
So I guess it depends on the person. I will say that I do have some red left in my hair - just tints - that would probably make it hard to go blonde. But then again I''m not so sure. *shrug* I just wish it didn''t fade so quickly. That''s very disappointing.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
I''m a natural redhead and look best in green and earthy colors. I usually wear black and it looks good with my pale skin - but that''s just a personal preference. I look horrid in red, pink, orange and yellow .. it just does NOT go with my complexion. For makeup I wear a lot of golds because it brings out the blueish/green of my eyes .. a light pink blush and though my lips are a good color red I usually wear a sheer redish lip gloss. I use dark brown or olive eye liner and a brown/black mascara. Hope that helps!
21.gif

PS - my hair goes from auburnish to strawberry blonde depending on the sun.

caagwoae12.jpg

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a natural redhead! I tend to gravitate towards the greens, teals, and browns. I
30.gif
my hair!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
This is the best pic of my color that I could come up with. It''s Red on the more orange, copper side.

n12711771_34641736_800.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results