shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all PS Mommies who have TWINS!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies -

I thought I''d create a new thread for some of my questions to try to keep them in a central place (I''m sure I will have MANY along the way as I''m only 17 weeks tomorrow).

I wanted to ask you all about the crib/bassinet situation. Did you use a bassinet and if so, did you buy two? Also, same goes with cribs - did you need just one at first and then used the second? We''re definitely buying two cribs, but I''ve read that it''s good to have them together in the same one in the beginning.

As for the bassinets, we''d like to keep them in our room if possible - do we need two? Is it a bad idea to even use the bassinets?

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Blushing -- congrats, first of all.

As I recall, we had only one bassinet...for a few weeks they both fit in there. We put them in it very infrequently...we didn''t use it for sleeping, but that''s us. Those days are a little fuzzy for me, but I think we put them in there to, uh, maybe hang out, or just be together for a few minutes while I went to the bathroom or something.

Then we didn''t really use it because we wanted them to equate cribs with sleeping. They did share a crib for, oh, I want to say a month (could be a little longer) and then we put them each in their own. We got the two right at the beginning.

Twins are super exciting and parenting them is like nothing else. You are in for a wonderful and special time.

I refuse to call myself an expert, but I can chime in with whatever "advice" you may need. If nothing else, I can absolutely tell you what not to do...from experience. I seem to do all the wrong things, and yet mine are still bouncing around, happy.
9.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
ME, ME, ME!!!!
9.gif
9.gif

Blushing I keep poking my head on the preggo thread to see how you''re doing! I am so happy everything is going well!!!

I started out with one bassinet (it was my sister''s) and two cribs (I just wanted to have the nursery done and not "half done). We didn''t start using the second crib until month 2 or so.

First 4 weeks: Both babies slept together in the bassinet right next to me in my room (I''ll try to find a picture of them in it...it''s a small bassinet, but they were so tiny that it made the bassinet look huge!). I used sleep positioners to keep them somewhat off each other...(These sleep positioners)

The size of the bassinet was basically the same size as a king pillow (this bassinet was from Europe and I know it had a different size). I think the ones in the US are probably a tad bigger.

Weeks 4-8 I think it was around week 8...give or take. This second month they slept in the same crib in their nursery. I''m glad I made the move, they started sleeping better (and so did I!).

Week 8-nowThey each sleep in their cribs at night...they didn''t mind being separated at all (I did though, more laundry! haha).

About two weeks ago I started putting one baby to nap in the pack and play in a different room. Naps were becomign a problem because they would wake each other up (doesn''t really happen at night, thank God!).

Now off to find pictures, not that you asked...but I can''t resist!
16.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
the day we got home from the hospital...napping in their bassinet. It''s actually so small...and it looks huge here! (mind you they were peanuts!)

aSC00918.jpg

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
They would sometimes nap in one crib, in the boppys (I know, bad mom as boppys clearly say "NO SLEEP"...but since they boppy is IN the crib that''s ok, right?
9.gif

aSC0128.jpg

tcm

Rough_Rock
I have nine year old twins (so it''s been a few years). We borrowed a cradle (that could be pinned so that it wouldn''t rock) and our girls shared it. There was plenty of room and they were used to being in even closer quarters before birth. We kept that in our room. At about two weeks we moved them to the nursery and like the previous poster, everyone slept better. They shared a crib until about 4 months when they started kicking each other at night.

Like most moms, we''re all glad to share our experiences. Those first months are a bit of a blur, but I love being a mom of twins.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
and this is how they slept at night....yes, with blankies...they were swaddled also so that blanket wasn''t going anywhere!

Poor guys, they were like mummies...couldn''t even move if they tried! haha...no wonder I had a hard time breaking the swaddle habit!

aSC01640.jpg

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
aww, I miss the tiny peanut stage. Sleep deprivation is not fun...but you do forget about it quickly!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much! Mandarine, as usual, the pictures are great for me to visual what exactly I need and how they''ll fit (not to mention absolutely precious!
30.gif
)

I just told DH that we''ll do one bassinet and two cribs for sure. His sister is having a baby at the end of June so, maybe we can even use her bassinet when the time comes.

Here''s another question - were you able to use a video monitor for two babies or was that difficult? If so, which one did you use?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 10:07:14 PM
Author: Mandarine
ME, ME, ME!!!!
9.gif
9.gif

Blushing I keep poking my head on the preggo thread to see how you''re doing! I am so happy everything is going well!!!

I started out with one bassinet (it was my sister''s) and two cribs (I just wanted to have the nursery done and not ''half done). We didn''t start using the second crib until month 2 or so.

First 4 weeks: Both babies slept together in the bassinet right next to me in my room (I''ll try to find a picture of them in it...it''s a small bassinet, but they were so tiny that it made the bassinet look huge!). I used sleep positioners to keep them somewhat off each other...(These sleep positioners)

The size of the bassinet was basically the same size as a king pillow (this bassinet was from Europe and I know it had a different size). I think the ones in the US are probably a tad bigger.

Weeks 4-8 I think it was around week 8...give or take. This second month they slept in the same crib in their nursery. I''m glad I made the move, they started sleeping better (and so did I!).

Week 8-nowThey each sleep in their cribs at night...they didn''t mind being separated at all (I did though, more laundry! haha).

About two weeks ago I started putting one baby to nap in the pack and play in a different room. Naps were becomign a problem because they would wake each other up (doesn''t really happen at night, thank God!).

Now off to find pictures, not that you asked...but I can''t resist!
16.gif
BTW...LOL...Mandarine...it''s funny you say that because I''m following you on the newborn thread so I can get a heads-up on what I''m in for!
1.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi!!...hehe so we''re stalking each other
3.gif

I didn''t use a video monitor, but have heard great things about the summer infat one. You can add an extra camera and still use the same receiver!

Honestly I didn''t feel video was necessary and I haven''t missed it. NOW that they''re getting older and funnier (chatting, laughing, etc) I wish I had one just to see what they''re up to when I''m not looking! hehe

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t use a monitor either, but that''s me. I certainly could hear them!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
nothing to add re: twins but Mandarine i love that pic of them in the boppy in their crib! i totally did that with J in the early weeks when he loved sleeping in the ''cocoon'' feeling it created. and i also was like ''but he''s in the crib!'' lol.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
We never had bassinets. In the beginning, they slept in our room in the same crib, and then, they transitioned to their nursery.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a lot of time to answer right now but I am having deja vu here-I am pretty sure there is at least one other twin advice thread...and maybe even more than one. I will try and find them later if someone hasn''t located them already...

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Neatfreak - any luck on the twin advice threads? I did a little searching, but need to look some more.

Another question - which diaper bags to you use? Do I need to get one that's bigger than the norm? I was leaning towards Vera Bradley or STork Sak.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi Blushing!

I think there was a thread on must have for multiples...maybe TG opened it for her friend that has the triplets? I can''t recall...

There may be other twin threads (I may have even opened one!)...there are some that are just for all PSers that are (or have) twins to share the pic, stories, etc.

As for diaper bags, I have a Petunia Pickle B (the boxy backpack) and it works great!. Right now I''m getting ready to spend the afternoon an hour away shopping and have a FULL bag with 4 bottles, lunch (4 jars), snacks (jar of fruit), diapers, couple of onesies, bibs, burp clothes, diapers, wipes (plus my stuff: wallet, camera, phone, etc). And it all fits! (granted it is VERY heavy and may tip the stroller, but it fits! haha).

On most days, I still use that one but it''s not full. I like the slightly bigger size since I hang it on the stroller''s handle and it looks like it fits better (since the stroller is wider than a single stroller!).

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mandarine - I found some of the threads and bookmarked them. Very helpful, I must say!

Thanks for the diaper bag recommendation! Sounds like you''ve got a good one which holds a TON. I wasn''t thinking of the backpack style, but I''ll definitely look into it.

BTW - which brand sleep positioner did you use? I feel like some of them are big and I''d like to put them both in one bassenent like you did in the beginning. I just think it might be tight.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 12:37:49 PM
Author: Blushing_B
BTW - which brand sleep positioner did you use? I feel like some of them are big and I''d like to put them both in one bassenent like you did in the beginning. I just think it might be tight.

You might want to wait on that. There really is no need for a sleep positioner unless you are having specific problems. You will have so much other crap already that you won''t want to shell out for things you don''t need! Just get the basics and then you can add on as you need to. Don''t make any of the big purchases that you won''t need right away. Wait, see what you like and don''t like, and THEN buy. Your tastes/important features will change drastically once those babies arrive.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Neatfreak - so you're saying I can put two babies in one bassenet and not even need a positioner?

Also, what did you guys use for bathtime? There are so many different tubs out there...just wondering what you found worked best?

Sorry for all the questions today - my mind is racing!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 12:58:38 PM
Thanks Neatfreak - so you''re saying I can put two babies in one bassenet and not even need a positioner?

Yup. We did. They will be wrapped up so tight like little burritos that they will hardly move anyway! We put them both in an arm''s reach cosleeper for a bit, then moved them to one crib, and then finally separated them.

Sleep positioners are a bit controversial too so my thought is better off not using them unless there is a reason to.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi!!!

Why are sleep positioners controversial? I had no clue...

Anyway, I have these: http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Air-Flow-Sleep-Positioner/dp/B000058CC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1274830974&sr=8-1

They are breathable, super light, but high enough that they can't roll over them so easily. The reason why I used them was because they always liked to be sort of nested when they slept...and to help with all their reflux, I always laid them down slightly propped up on one side. So they were still on their back, but slightly one sided, if that makes sense.

I liked having them because I was afraid one would roll over the other....or like one would move up/down and restrict the air flow for the other guy. Granted , they were so tightly swaddled they weren't going anywhere! but it gave me peace of mind!.

I still use the positioner on Lucas because after he started sleeping through the night, he went through some craziness where he would roll over and freak out because he was on his belly. So after many sleepless nights I decided to put him back on ti and he went right back to sleeping 11 hours!. In the mornings he rolls over the positioner and gets out of it...but it's completely breathable so it doesn't bother me...

ETA: On the diaper bag, I actually never use it as a backpack. I even took those straps off. I use it as a messenger bag when I carry it myself

ETA2: Baby bath tubs!...I have a super simple one ( http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Infant-Toddler-Sling/dp/B000067EH7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1274831315&sr=1-1 ) and it worked well for us!. Now they are splashing all over the place so I can't wait to just move them to the big tub. Just not sure how I'm going to do that just yet as bath seats are very controversial and they're not ready to be trusted with sitting down by themselves (specially if it's slippery!).

I would say get something simple, because they do outgrow those quickly...

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much Mandarine and Neatfreak - you both have been BEYOND helpful!

Mandarine - Gotcha on the diaper bag - I would definitely use it as a messenger bag as well. Good to know you can do that. I will also look into the sleep positioners and bathtub!

Neatfreak - Can the arm''s reach co-sleeper be easily taken down and/or set up if we wanted to use it as a travel crib? We really like that co-sleeper as a bassinet, but we also wanted to register for a travel crib. I''m wondering if we can just use that as our travel crib (we would get the universal one)? What do you think?

Also, please let us know about the sleep positioner controversy...interesting!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have twins but i do work with them everyday and i am always in awe of the mums who handle it all so well, especially those who have other children (and some with two sets of twins!)

So twin mums, i take my hat off to you!
36.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 8:50:48 AM

Neatfreak - Can the arm''s reach co-sleeper be easily taken down and/or set up if we wanted to use it as a travel crib? We really like that co-sleeper as a bassinet, but we also wanted to register for a travel crib. I''m wondering if we can just use that as our travel crib (we would get the universal one)? What do you think?

It can be taken down fairly easily, but I am not sure I would want to do it all the time. Why do you want a travel crib as well? Most places can give you cribs/pack n plays when you travel.

I really would recommend just getting the absolute basics right now and then seeing what you want/need after. I promise your wants and needs will change a LOT once the babies are born!

As for the positioner controversy-it''s the same as any other soft thing in the crib, suffocation. Personally I just like to be cautious especially if it''s something that isn''t necessary for many babies. Why buy or use something that you might not need and potentially is not safe? Since we had no reason to use it I figured better be safe than sorry. If the babies need it for some reason then you can buy them later. BRU will be there after the babies are born too.
2.gif

And I always like to have the least amount of crap in my house that I can. Nothing annoys me more than spending money on things we don''t use...

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 1:02:02 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 5/26/2010 8:50:48 AM

It can be taken down fairly easily, but I am not sure I would want to do it all the time. Why do you want a travel crib as well? Most places can give you cribs/pack n plays when you travel.

I really would recommend just getting the absolute basics right now and then seeing what you want/need after. I promise your wants and needs will change a LOT once the babies are born!

As for the positioner controversy-it''s the same as any other soft thing in the crib, suffocation. Personally I just like to be cautious especially if it''s something that isn''t necessary for many babies. Why buy or use something that you might not need and potentially is not safe? Since we had no reason to use it I figured better be safe than sorry. If the babies need it for some reason then you can buy them later. BRU will be there after the babies are born too.
2.gif

And I always like to have the least amount of crap in my house that I can. Nothing annoys me more than spending money on things we don''t use...
Well, we are planning to go to my parents for Thanksgiving and possibly Christmas if we can swing. It''s not for traveling in hotels, but for grandma and grandpa''s. If we can use the arm''s reach co-sleeper as a bassinet AND travel crib, that would be ideal. But, we want something that''s going to be easy to set-up and take down which is why I was asking.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Blushing are you getting a pack and play? I have one (not the twin one) that we used a lot in the first couple of months downstairs (it has a changing station so that came in handy as we have a two story home and their room is upstairs!).

Now I still use the PnP every day because one of the boys naps there.

We took it on a road trip and had them sharing the pack and play (when they were like 2.5 months)

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to get the Bjorn Travel Crib Light - my friend has it and swears by it. However, if can use the arm''s lenght bassinet for travel, then I won''t need it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results