shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all guitar lovers!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guernsey's will be conducting its next Guitar Auction on February 27 live at New York City's East 73rd Street Bohemian National Hall!

But wait! You can participate on-line if you don't want to deal with the paparazzi!

Among the many guitars worth noting is a 1938 Larson Bros. Euphonon Dreadnought that was owned by Johnny Cash who gifted it to a young Bob Dylan.

The approximately three hundred lots in the sale are roughly divided equally between fine acoustic instruments dating as far back as 1880 right through beautiful, recently-made examples, and sensational electric guitars, many of which are associated with well-known musicians. Bidders will encounter instruments from Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tony Mottola (accompanying Frank Sinatra) and Franny Beecher who, following years with Benny Goodman's big band, became the lead guitarist for the legendary Bill Haley and the Comets. The "In Cold Blood" pair of guitars in the auction must constitute one of the most unusual musical offerings ever: those who vividly recall the legendary Truman Capote book and movie will remember that Perry Smith, the much-analyzed killer, toted his guitar everywhere. A single lot in this auction will contain both the instrument used by Robert Blake playing the role of Smith in the Academy Award-winning film, and the actual guitar used by the real-life killer!

OK, so I did a 'cut-and-paste' of the above paragraph.

Here's a link to the Guitar Auction website, and a link to a short news item about the auction (Canadian link; not sure if it will work).

https://www.guernseys.com/v2/guitar-16.html

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/topvideos/rare-and-classic-guitars-up-for-auction-in-ny/vi-BBoMxCA

Reactions: AV_

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Great info! Thanks for sharing! :wavey:

Now where are Kenny & Jordy? I know they both love guitars! :dance:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockinruby|1453953669|3982774 said:

Right here!! My string-senses were tingling!! :lol:

Some absolutely amazing instruments there, Kenny and I are both suckers for a Gibson!! I find the Les Paul guitar to be one of the most beautifully shaped guitars ever created. The Mickey Baker guitar in the guernsey link is the exact model I have tattooed on my arm :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome. :appl:
Thanks for the heads up.

How fun to dream and drool.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1453957394|3982801 said:
Rockinruby|1453953669|3982774 said:

Right here!! My string-senses were tingling!! :lol:

Some absolutely amazing instruments there, Kenny and I are both suckers for a Gibson!! I find the Les Paul guitar to be one of the most beautifully shaped guitars ever created. The Mickey Baker guitar in the guernsey link is the exact model I have tattooed on my arm :bigsmile:

Jordy,

I do hope I haven't laid the ground work for a nasty bidding war between you and Kenny. :nono:

That's interesting that you have a tattoo of the Mickey Baker guitar model!

Try not to crash the Internet with all your frantic bids attempting to snatch away some of these guitars from Kenny!

:wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other day there was an item on TV about a diamond-encrusted guitar. I only caught the last bit but, when I searched on-line so I could share the info here, I discovered its old news! From March 2015! Perhaps the guitar recently sold and that's why it was mentioned the other day, or perhaps all is well in the World and they had to search the archives for something to report. Yes, that must be it. :think:

Without further ado, may I present you with info you've known since last year. :D

From the posted comments I've seen, no one seems thrilled about the look or the impact on the acoustics.

gibson-coronet-main.jpg

diamond_gibson_1.png

diamond_gibson_2.png

diamond_gibson_3.png

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Oh Good Lord --- this would be DH's version of SMTB! :lol:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
December-fire,

You're absolutely correct that those guitars are an artistic show piece rather than fully functional instrument; in Kenny's musical blind thread (I think) I posted a $250k bass. Made from wood over 10 000 years old with hardware made from woolly mammoth ivory and 24k gold leaf patterns all over - it truly was a beautiful instrument aesthetically but I would be very interested to hear how it sounds as the audio and tone qualities would have taken a backseat.

I wonder what diamonds embedded in the body might do for tone though...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1453983441|3982905 said:
The other day there was an item on TV about a diamond-encrusted guitar. I only caught the last bit but, when I searched on-line so I could share the info here, I discovered its old news! From March 2015! Perhaps the guitar recently sold and that's why it was mentioned the other day, or perhaps all is well in the World and they had to search the archives for something to report. Yes, that must be it. :think:

Without further ado, may I present you with info you've known since last year. :D

From the posted comments I've seen, no one seems thrilled about the look or the impact on the acoustics.
Well then, I won't have one commissioned for my ten year old. I was on the fence, but now that I hear this, forget it! :lol:

I think this guitar is amazing. Seems like something Prince would own. :appl: Then again, if it doesn't sound good, he would probably hate it.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just saw this and it made my jaw drop, it's a custom built ESP electric guitar for Gary Holt from Slayer/Exodus. It's quite a transgressive art piece as it's not what is painted on the guitar but how they made the paint. I'll just leave it at that...

Come the day that Gary passes or this guitar is sold then it will very likely end up in an auction house for the art piece that it is

fb_img_1455932594534.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
153BC9FE-DF9C-4B3F-A07A-C83D6543F837.jpeg
If I’m going Fender, I’m going electric:)

Reactions: AV_

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
8-) 59E7BB45-0DA2-422F-9F86-869E509C0F72.jpeg
Or a Non diamond studded Gibson

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
153BC9FE-DF9C-4B3F-A07A-C83D6543F837.jpeg
If I’m going Fender, I’m going electric:)

Y'know, something funny happened recently RD. I took my bass to a former colleague for repair as she is also a Luthier, I had a gig in November and she loaned me her Japanese P-Bass. I loaded it up with fresh stainless rounds and only did some EQ adjustment, no effects.
Good googly moogly, the tone was enough to blow your head off. I've played many basses where you have to play them hard to get them to sound good but too hard and they don't like it. Not the P-Bass, it just sounds better and better the harder it gets thrashed.

I now understand the Fender-thing and I'm considering a P-Bass in my collection, or maybe a J after I saw one used in a youtube cover and it was also a tone-monster.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
True that Jordy!
There’s nothing like a Fender bass. The Japanese models are amazing. At first when they came out in the late ‘80’s they were scorned. But man, they make some amazing Fenders in Japan.
I’ve owned so many axes. But never a pre CBS precision. I’d love one so much.
I remember when Elvis used to introduce the band, he always used the term “Fender Bass” for Jerry

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jordyonbass
I re-listened to this the other day and you came to mind....talk about a super cool P-Bass player....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results