shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Brits ... or UKers ... or ....... ?????

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any mistakes in this Venn diagram?

Do we really have to remember when to say Islands vs. Isles?

7.png

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a Brit, I‘ve never said British Islands just British isles. UK or Great Britain.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a Brit, I‘ve never said British Islands just British isles. UK or Great Britain.
@Austina
When you do that do you intend to omit the state of Ireland?
Or, to you, are the two names interchangeable, or not worth the bother, or what?

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another Brit, and I also say British Isles. Generally you would only refer to Northern Ireland & Ireland as 'Ireland'. So to remember, Ireland is pretty much the only Island!

The others are all Isles. And there are MANY, such as off the cost off Scotland, where there is the Isle of Skye, Isle of Moray, Isle of Mull, Isle is Islay, Isle of Aaran etc. Then off Wales there is the Isle of Anglesey & off England there's the Isle of Jersey, Isle of Man, Isle of Guernsey, Isle of White etc.

Last edited:

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
As a Scot, I'd refer to the UK, I don't really recall referring to the British Isles or islands.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suspect the Irish would object strongly to being told they are part of the British Isles. You may recall they had a revolution to escape the British!!!

On the other hand, some of the protestant majority in Northern Ireland are currently objecting strongly to the possibility the messed-up Brexit agreement might end up getting them excluded from Britain.

The Irish situation is far more complicated than any map can solve! :lol-2:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And there are also the Orkney Islands and the Shetland Islands, so who knows………..

but, yes, I think the Irish people in the South would be appalled to be classed as British!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Another Brit, and I also say British Isles. Generally you would only refer to Northern Ireland & Ireland as 'Ireland'. So to remember, Ireland is pretty much the only Island!

The others are all Isles. And there are MANY, such as off the cost off Scotland, where there is the Isle of Skye, Isle of Moray, Isle of Mull, Isle is Islay, Isle of Aaran etc. Then off Wales there is the Isle of Anglesey & off England there's the Isle of Jersey, Isle of Man, Isle of Guernsey, Isle of White etc.

This. Lived here all my life and never heard the phrase "British Islands". British Isles, yes. Though we would most commonly say UK, Great Britain, or Great Britain and Ireland depending on which bits you're talking about.

I don't think most people think about it much unless they're presenting on the BBC. Just don't call the Republic of Ireland "Southern Ireland" :eek-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are there any mistakes in this Venn diagram?

Do we really have to remember when to say Islands vs. Isles?

7.png

Im finding this very useful (not being from the UK or GB )
Ive long been confused
British Island i would have called those smaller off shore places like Orkney or Jersey etc

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
It’s an absolute b@gger when you’re trying to find your nationality in a drop down list. Do I look under G for Great Britain, B for British, U for United Kingdom or E for English? Everyone seems to list it differently. Drives you mad!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s an absolute b@gger when you’re trying to find your nationality in a drop down list. Do I look under G for Great Britain, B for British, U for United Kingdom or E for English? Everyone seems to list it differently. Drives you mad!

Agreed! So annoying!

I usually just say I'm from the UK.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a first generation immigrant and have never come across "British Islands".

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ginger beer and sticky buns
pooh sticks and the 100 acer wood
the wind in the willows
the sound of willow on leather
A green and pleasent land
Marmalade and tea
Land of hope and glory
Big ben
GMT

I havnt had breakfast yet

Does that apply to England or all of the UK ?

excuse my gibberish
Ive never been there

I'll get my hat and be off

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
On government forms that ask for my ethnically i tivk other and write in South Islander

Not exactly related to this thread :lol-2:

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
We as a family traveled through England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales for 8 weeks and it was just such a beautiful trip! I’m of Irish heritage and my husband is of English heritage, after our amazing experience/trip we were going to sell up & move to the UK or Ireland, even through we are Australian and love our country dearly.
Anyway I digress, before we left and throughout our travels it was alway Isles for parts of England & Scotland, and for Ireland it was Ireland (South independent of Britain & Northern, part of Britain)
My Irish heritage is of the South.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gary's mum was English (from Birmingham) Gary's dad had a big Irish family (Dublin) but had a Scotyish granny
During ww2 Gary's dad and all his brothers and two sisters all enlisted in the British forces. That's how they got British citizenship
Then in ones and twos the entire family including Gary's Irish grandparents all immigrated to NZ
Gary's sister akways says she's not a ten pound pom because her father had to pay extra for the 3rd child
Gary was 7 and they came over my ship
They have a very large family, i was so sad to find out none of them were Gary's mum's family
Gary's mum and Dad only went back once because air travel used to be so exspensive
I often thoight of her durring the pandenic when people complained they missed their families overseas and she only ever saw her family again just the once
anyway seems Gary's English grandma was a bit of an old cow
Blossom (that's what Gary's family called his) made them her parents a pavalova and her mother turned up her nose and said im not eatting that foreign muck (poor Blossom)

I think my very NZ grandma would have found that very insulting to be called foreign after all the adult males in the family had all fought in the war

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results