shape
carat
color
clarity

California fires may ruin proposal idea. Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Schell

Rough_Rock
So I''m intending to propose to my GF on July 4th (our un-official 6-year anniversary). Our actual anniversary is July 2nd (also my birthday). So I was going to wait to celebrate 6 years from our first date (the 4th). I was going to take her backpacking in Northern California to a lake that I know well and have been to many times. There is a great view of Mt. Shasta and incredible sunsets. Well the lightning strikes last friday have set the mountains on fire. While I''m not too concerned about being in danger, the smoke will ruin the views, air quality and the whole general plan.

She wants to be proposed to someplace in nature (we''re kinda hippies) and alone, both are very general, granted, but the proposal is a complete surprise so we''ve only spoken in general about these specifics.

So here are a couple of alternatives:

We are going out to a nice restaurant with 3 other couples for my birthday. We will be dressed up, and while it''s our actual anniversary, I personally find the restaurant proposal tired and cliche. Furthermore, it''s not in nature and we would not be alone. I could potentially do it after dinner, but this really does not excite me at all.

I can wait till the fourth, plan a nice picnic and watch the fireworks with the golden gate bridge in the background which is appropriate since that''s what we did on our first date, beautiful and memorable, but again, isn''t nature and in no way would we be alone.

Find an alternate place to go backpacking that I don''t know well, am not familiar with the views or the hike in and may be above her head - as this will be her first real backpacking trip, and take a chance that everything goes well. The only places in California that are currently not burning are the high sierra''s (which will definitely be crowded on 4th of July weekend) and the coast (which is a logistical nightmare). So while this satisfies the criteria, I won''t be able to control the environment as much as I would like - and is therefore a gamble.

You can''t fault me for being short of ideas though? Can you?

Take a day trip to Santa Cruz on the 4th (her alma mater) and propose on her favorite beach at sunset- which will be in keeping with my original sunset theme. This is special for her, satisfies both criteria (sort of) - it''s not exactly nature and it''s unlikely we''d really be alone, but would be both memorable and beautiful. I think this is the one I''m most leaning towards.

Lastly:
Abandon the significance of our anniversary, wait until the fires are done (no guarantees in California this summer) and try to do the original trip at a later time. This, however, is also not without it''s problems. I''m flying to Seattle nest Tuesday (July 1), to tell her parent''s my intentions of asking for their daughter''s hand. One this cat is out of the bag, I assume the next time that my GF speaks to her mother, it will most certainly come out - and they speak often. I cannot get my fare back on the plane ticket, so while pushing it back is technically an option, I''d have to shell out an additional $300 for the ticket.

I am really hoping that we get a bunch of rain and the fires get put out in the next week, but I can''t exactly bank on that, so this is what I''ve got to work with. I have the champagne, flutes, ring, chocolates, and what not ready to go. Just wanted to hear some opinions on how to make the best out of a bad situation.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
I live near these fires, and just have to say that it''s still beautiful here (and most of the highways are closed), I was actually in the lightening storm last weekend and it was beautiful, even though sad about the fires.

But your other ideas sound great too...

Schell

Rough_Rock
So the proposal was a success. I decided to go with the Santa Cruz sunset proposal idea. We had an early, but great dinner at a very small Italian restaurant in Capitola (Caruso''s - highly recommended!). We then drove up the coast to the beach. We walked out onto a point (less crowded than the beach proper). It was about 15 minutes till sunset when I gave her my "anniversary gift" which happened to be a custom ring box that I had made by Jane at Green Tree Creations (www.gtcreations.com) featuring an inlaid dragonfly picture that I had taken a year or so ago. She initially thought that it may have had a diamond pendant that we looked at a couple months earlier at ShaneCo. It was actually empty. She looked really disappointed, so I told her that "It''s for this." *presents ring* and then I popped the question. She looked totally shocked but managed to eep out a yes. I put the ring on her finger (it fit perfectly...Whew!), and then we kissed and hugged for some time. She was stunned, unable to speak for a couple minutes and just stared at the ring. She said the ring is perfect, everything was perfect.

I set up a couple of friends on a cliff about 100 yards away with my DSLR camera and telephoto lens to photograph the occasion. As we were walking back she was tripping because she couldn''t take her eyes off of the ring to watch where she was walking. She then yelled out "IT (the ring) IS SOO MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSES!!". I guess she liked it. Haha... She then said, "Crap, you mean now I have to plan a wedding?" Haha...

We then walked up and down the coast for about an hour, asking me questions about how I was able to keep it a secret, how did I pick the ring, where I kept it hidden, etc. etc...

We went back to our hotel, which had been set up with flowers, champagne, chocolates, rose petals, etc. And even though we were told that there would be no fireworks in Santa Cruz because of the fire danger, we were treated to 5 or 6 awesome (albeit illegal) fireworks displays up and down the coast that we watched from our hotel balcony while we sipped champagne.

It was a great night to be sure.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad everything worked out for you. The fires here are actually worse than ever. skys really smoky and you can hardly breathe.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that was a great proposal story - congrats!

The ring is beautiful! Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results