shape
carat
color
clarity

Cake Top Poll, Take 2

Would you use this cake top in your WEDDING Reception?

• No - It''s not appropriate for a wedding reception. Bachelor/Bachelorette party maybe.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Maybe - I can''t make up my mind on my own. I have to ask my wife what I think.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Ok... here's the actual poll. See this link for the picture!

Vote now... vote often!

coldfeetgroom.jpg

NOTE: It appears you have to be LOGGED in to Pricescope to view and vote in the poll!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm.....VH,
I don't see any poll.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I see it. It took me awhile to figure out how the poll feature worked. Try again!

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know... I'm all for really funny strange little things, but that one is simulataneously somewhat masagonistic and funny, which makes it not quite as appropriate as one might like. Perhaps there's something just as funny, but more ... balanced? (Everyone should get made fun of!)

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Good point.

I don't think it's particularly misogynistic, though. It's not born out of a hatred of women. Although, by this thought, the ball and chain one would be even worse.

I think this particular one makes fun of the groom more than some of the others. Bride is just keeping him in line... just like real life.

Thanks for the opinion though. Exactly what I was hoping for with the poll!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the whole tone of your wedding. If you're having a stuffy, very traditional wedding then a cake topper like the one pictured above would be really out of place. If you're having a fun, light-hearted kind of wedding then it wouldn't be totally out of place.

I've seen another cake topper where the groom is on his hands and knees with a leash around his neck and the bride is holding on to the leash. That was given to the bride-to-be either at the bachelorette party or the bridal shower (I forgot which one). It got a lot of laughs.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
VH do you want to wear the dress and veil too?
9.gif

hehehehe...you had that one coming (payback!!!)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
postpost....

At first I thought she was trying to choke him and not that he was running away...lol....see where my mind is at...I'd like that better!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I actually once saw a cake that had an airbrushed picture of the bride AND groom both in prison stripes with each one chained to the other, and on the other foot was a ball and chain for each. I suppose that would be considered equal in misery for both!

This cake was in a catalogue at a cake decorating show, so someone had ordered it that way, and i believe it was for a Jack-n-Jill party. Cute idea, but for a wedding, my guess is mostly women do all the detail planning (like flowers, mongrammed napkins, doves being released, cake toppers, favors, etc) so few would be the woman with enough guts to make fun of herself and chose that.

It appears that the man is running away, and no woman would want to seem undesirable, even if it's an old joke regarding non-committal men. Again, sterotyping a bit more, mostly women find weddings to be fantasy-like, a place to live out their childhood dreams on ribbons, swans and tulle and chiffon fabrics. Men would rather a relaxed, casual, and maybe funny event. Imagine the bride and groom serving eachother cake. Groom will usually try to REALLY smear that on, and the bride will usually try to eat it delicately and without too much fuss...

She better have a good sense of humor is all...
2.gif
9.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Well, we both saw this on the cover of a special edition Knot catalog and thought it was hilarious. Or at least that's what she said. Maybe she never thought I'd find it.

There were other versions: Ball and chain, groom on all fours with a collar and leash (eep!), and actually, one where the bride was choking the groom. I still thought this one was funny.

I'm a guy and I DO want a fun wedding. What's the use in going thru it all if you don't have a good time. Most weddings degenerate into a drunken mess anyway, so why pretend to be all proper? The best weddings I've been to were a little irreverent.

Same with my funeral. No casket (I'm being cremated), no mass, no crying... just booze, loud fun music and dancing! A real send-off.

PS: I didn't mean to equate my wedding with dying. It just came out that way!
1.gif

And NO, I don't want to wear the dress and veil. (I just have some very good suggestions about them!)
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't use this on my wedding cake, but would DEFINITELY think it appropriate for a groom's cake (to be used at the rehearsal dinner or as a late night snack for the weeding party)!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm just bitter VH, that I can't plan annother wedding...at least with the same husband
1.gif
....A while ago I saw the most beautiful wedding cake "jewelry"...it was beautiful...sounds weird but it's not....

And
appl.gif
to you for being involved...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
darn- can't find the link...it was like the cake was wearing a little tiara....!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
So this groom's cake is for the rehersal dinner? I had never heard of that before! I'd be ok with that, I think.

If I had my way, I would want a rehearsal dinner, with long banquent tables, with a family style dinner (passing food around). Then a dessert reception for the wedding.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh....I like that idea. I think weddings and the cost associated are just getting crazy! I always enjoy a down to earth, fewer frills wedding than the big sit down meal running on a tight schedule.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
The groom's cake started as something silly. In the past, the groom's cake was cut into pieces for the single women at the wedding, and placed in boxes under their pillows that night. Disgusting!

Now days the groom's cake is either used as the dessert at a reception or as the a late night celebratory dessert for the bridal party.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and the groom's cake usually either reflects the interests of the groom (lots of golf cakes) or is something whimsical.

Also, the groom's cake doesn't have to be a cake; I've seen cupcakes, cookies, pies, etc. (you can still use the topper by putting it--where else--on the top of the display!).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't vote because I wouldn't use a cake topper. I find them old-fashioned.
11.gif

But if I did like them...yah that'd be kind of cute and apropos.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/9/2004 1:36:29 PM Mara wrote:

I didn't vote because I wouldn't use a cake topper. I find them old-fashioned.
11.gif

But if I did like them...yah that'd be kind of cute and apropos.
2.gif

----------------

And...I find them Traditional.
11.gif

That said, I think it's up to the bride. Does she want that memory or not? We had a "groom's cake" at the wedding. I thought it was more of a Southern Tradition though.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I peaked at our topper on the way out the door. While driving I got a chuckle because I had the visual of *that* one in our china cabinet. It would be appropos. So, IMHO, I would find it kitchy & funny years later.

But, only you & your to be can determine whether appropriate to you & your pertinent guests (like your MIL doesn't go balistic).
6.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its funny.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Luckily, I think the MIL and the FIL would find it funny. They're good ol' no-nonsense country folk. That's not to say that their simple. In fact their quite complex and hard to figure out. But they don't seem to sweat the small stuff. It's a nice way to be.

I just got the topper in the mail. It's funny. I'm not sure how we'll use it, but it will be in there somewhere.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Groom's cake or bachelor party only, not wedding cake. It's good to keep some things traditional at your reception. I had a cake topper, crystal swans inside a crystal heart. Loved it at the time (I was also 27 years old then) Seems cheesy now though.
rolleyes.gif
I don't even display it in my china cabinet anymore.
9.gif
Must not have looked too bad though since my sister and two friends borrowed it for their weddings.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/18/2004 6:33:06 PM pearcrazy wrote:

I had a cake topper, crystal swans inside a crystal heart. Loved it at the time (I was also 27 years old then) Seems cheesy now though.
rolleyes.gif
I don't even display it in my china cabinet anymore.
9.gif

Yeah, mine is a tad cheesy. I think they all are. But, I still proudly display this work of art
wink2.gif
next to real works of art. It's the sentimental in me.
9.gif

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
It is quite funny, but it's tacky as well, and in my opinion, a wedding is supposed to be elegant :)

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Where as I see that most people would agree that a wedding is supposed to be elegant, but I think a wedding can be anything. I went to a wedding that was basically a BBQ. Great fun. In Forrest Gump (not agreat example, but) he got married on his front lawn.

I think a wedding should be heartfelt and emotional... and like life, not without its fair share of laughter!

To each their own!

PS: I have no idea if we'll use it yet.

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
I suppose it's only tacky if it's in poor taste, i should have worded that better. Whatever you decide i'm sure will be great :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results