shape
carat
color
clarity

Cake question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
So we went yesterday and tasted cakes and found the place where we''re going to order the cake! The cake was fabulous! It will be three layers (in a square shape) with buttercream frosting. The bottom layer will be almond and the top two layers will be either chocolate or red velvet. We have to wait till next week to taste the red velvet but the chocolate was delicious! Do you think we should go with the chocolate or the red velvet (assuming that the red velevt is as delicious as the chocolate)? I want the flavors to be something most people will like. Thoughts?

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
They pretty much taste the same in my opinion. Our cake was red velvet with cream cheese icing and it was divine!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
What exactly DOES red velvet taste like? I always assumed it was vanilla with red food coloring
33.gif

If that''s the case, I''d say red velvet/vanilla is more popular. Some people (albeit few) aren''t chocolate people.

Personally, however, I''d get the chocolate!!! Chocolate and almond? YUM!
18.gif
Sounds like a totally fab combo!

The most important thing is that you and FI think the cake is yummy, yaknow? It''s impossible to please all guests, so you might as well do what you prefer. It''s not as if either chocolate or red velvet are unusual or uncommon flavors, so I doubt your guests will dislike either choice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitly chocolate for the second layer...the top layer is yours so pick what you like (for me it would be chocolate)!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh RED VELVET allll theeeee wayyyyyyyy! We had red velvet for our engagement party and everyone swooooned over it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2009 7:48:06 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
What exactly DOES red velvet taste like? I always assumed it was vanilla with red food coloring
33.gif

If that''s the case, I''d say red velvet/vanilla is more popular. Some people (albeit few) aren''t chocolate people.

Personally, however, I''d get the chocolate!!! Chocolate and almond? YUM!
18.gif
Sounds like a totally fab combo!

The most important thing is that you and FI think the cake is yummy, yaknow? It''s impossible to please all guests, so you might as well do what you prefer. It''s not as if either chocolate or red velvet are unusual or uncommon flavors, so I doubt your guests will dislike either choice.
It has it''s own flavor, so that''s a really hard question to answer. However, it should taste slightly chocolate-y because most recipes have a bit of cocoa powder in them.

I''d do red velvet, but I don''t know that you can go wrong with either.

cakegirl

Shiny_Rock
Red Velvet is generally a buttermilk or sour cream butter cake with a bit of cocoa powder (and lots of red food coloring) added. I would pick red velvet-it is festive and generally a crowd pleaser.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
FI's favorite is red velvet. I make him the 'box mix' cupcakes every year for his birthday so he can take them into work to share. He says they get gobbled up in less than 5min. lol, I've even been asked for the recipe ha!
11.gif

I wouldn't stress about it too much until you actually taste their recipe for red velvet cake. Personally I'm not a big fan of either, but, lots of other people LOVE them both.

ETA: this is so exciting. FI and I just booked our cake ppl too. We've decided each layer will be a different flavor. The bottom layer is going to be white cake with a raspberry filling-omg I just about died it was sooooo good. we'll have another layer be red velvet with a cream cheese frosting filling since FI loves it so much. The other we haven't decided. the whole cake will be frosted in butter-cream
3.gif

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I''ll ask the obvious because I haven''t seen it posted yet, but since it''s three layers, can''t you just do almond, chocolate, and red velvet?

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your replies :)

In answer to the question about it being three layers, the top layer is for us so we figured we''ll just have either the chocolate or red velvet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results