shape
carat
color
clarity

Cake and favors. Ideas please!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so our wedding timeline is something like this:

10am- Bloody Mary/Mimosa bar opens; cheese trays, mini-bagels with smoked salmon, etc. served.
10:30-10:45am- Ceremony (not sure it will even take 15 minutes)
10:45am-12pm- brunch
12:30pm- everyone boards the bus to get to the cruise terminal

So, obviously a morning event and fairly casual and low key. The question is do we have a cake. We were thinking of doing cupcakes. I still like the idea of a cake, more for the ceremonial part of feeding it to each other, I always love that part of a wedding. Our guests are probably going to be pretty stuffed after the brunch (eggs benedict, crab cakes, fruit, pastries, etc.) and most of us will be boarding a cruise which = week long food fest.

Then I saw this cake - http://www.cakesbyjp.com/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-gallery/img_0435/ which is adorable and would be perfect (our colors are light blue, so it really would be great)....but probably on a smaller scale since there will only be 40 of us. Then I was thinking maybe cupcakes and a mini-cake for us to cut into. Keep in mind that we won't be able to take any of this with us, so whatever we don't eat will stay there, including any sort of anniversary cake layer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Another idea is fruit in chocolate cupcake bowl thingies (imagine a cupcake liner made of chocolate, and then that is filled with strawberries or whatever).

Problem 2 is the favors. We will be handing out gift bags for guests who are sailing with us...those will be specific to the cruise and will be in those guests' rooms. I want to have a traditional favor as well, since whether or not guests are cruising, they still traveled thousands of miles to attend the wedding. I was thinking about custom luggage tags (like this http://www.candlesandsuch.com/flip-flop-luggage-tag.html but that seems like something people would need before traveling, not half way into their journey. Candles are out because they aren't allowed on the ship. I'd love to keep it beach themed. Ideas?

Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
What about getting a really small cake for the two of you and cupcakes for the guests?

as far as favors...you could always do some sort of edible thing and package it in some beachy way?

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
I agree with a small cake for you two, and than cupcakes for the guests. The nice thing, is you wont feel as bad if the cupcakes go to waste, and you can always have a small 5in cake made for the two of you.

Also, can you do maybe a small cup/shotglass with a beachy theme on it. Maybe not with your initals on it( its always kind of awkard), but maybe a Palm tree or a beach.Also, you can take the glass or shot glass with you on the cruise and in a dinner, maybe ask all guest to bring the glass and you all can do a toast with it.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
If you like the luggage tag favors, FWIW, I wouldn't feel like it was halfway through my journey. I would happily slap that on my bag!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Ok, Cake: I don't see why you couldn't do a cake. I do like your idea of the fruit cups - I think for brunch keeping it fresh and light would be the key, I can't imagine wanting a big slice of chocolate mudcake at 11:30am after a yummy brunch but a vanilla sponge cake topped with fresh fruit would be terrific! AND wouldn't feel too formal for your reception. Or lemon cake - light and refreshing. Or what about a cake made out of layers and layer of crepes or pancakes! (see photo below) :love: Or the scone tower thing below, with a big one on top to cut? Orrrrrrr, doughnut cake! OK, I may have gone too far with doughnut cake, but I would SO have a slice of pancake-cake and then drown it in maple syrup *drool* :lickout:

If I had a brunch reception (which I did originally want) I would, 110% have a massive pancake cake. Please let me live vicariously through your reception!

crepe cake from lady m.png

IMG_4308.jpeg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
FutureGirl, that pancake/crepe cake is cracking me up! :lol:

amc, we are doing cupcakes for our dessert and our baker is making us a 6" cutting tier for us to cut and enjoy and then take home to nibble on the days after the wedding. We are in the same "spot" as you in that we can't save an anniversary tier (we are getting married 1,000 miles away from where we live, hundreds of miles away from our families, and about 1,000 miles away from where we plan on spending our first anniversary, lol) but we also wanted to cut a CAKE and not a CUPCAKE. Our baker actually threw in the cutting tier for free!

And I think that cake design could translate really well to cupcakes!

I love the favor idea from FMS and I also love the luggage tag idea. One of my friends bought me personalized tags from MyFlyTags.com for a shower gift and I LOVE them. She got one for me and one for FI with our information and then the other side says "Just Married"...it will be a nice keepsake from our honeymoon!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of cupcakes with a small cake for you to cut. You could even cut a giant "cupcake" if you wanted.

The fruit cups sound delicious and would be perfect for after a brunch. If you wanted to do those for your guests, you could still do a little cutting cake for the 2 of you!

You shouldn't worry too much about what people will or won't feel up to eating after a big brunch. I have NEVER turned away a big chunk of chocolate (or lemon or vanilla or...) cake and I'm sure your guests would quite happily eat whatever you serve.

For your anniversary, how about having a replica cake made? That way you don't have to worry about saving anything, you get to eat fresh (not dry from freezing!) yummy cake, and you still get to have a special cake to share.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
AMC, i LOVE your morning timeline! It sounds so relaxed and pleasant, with drinks before the ceremony... love love love it.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! Great feedback. I love the luggage tags but my fiance's response was "what guy would put that on his luggage?". Oh yeah, the guys. He is also pretty set on cupcakes, but I do love the idea of one jumbo cupcake for us to cut.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
For the favors, perhaps do a "beach care package" with suncreen, beach toys, etc? Things they may not pack but would enjoy.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I just read this all again and am still SUPER jealous of your your brunch reception. I LOVE brunch. If I could start all over again..... *sigh* alas, Fi wants a really formal wedding so dinner it is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results