shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD review help for my sister's e-ring!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hey friends! I don't have quite the eagle eyes other people here do, so I wanted to get CAD feedback.

My sister is getting engaged! Squeeeee!

She got a beautiful, silky montana sapphire from Gemfix and is working with DK.

1621544724584.png

Here were her requests:
  • Bezel setting
  • Lower-set
  • 18k YG
  • Subtler use of small diamonds
  • Art deco/vintage influences (kite shaped sides)
Inspiration images:

ring1.jpg ring4.jpg

ring2.jpg ring3.jpg

Here is the CAD from DK...

My initial feedback:

• Thicken the shank to 2.5-3mm (my sister is almost size 10 and wants thicker)
  • Simpler basket / gallery
  • Raise the height 0.5mm (it looks a little squat)
What else stands out? Any recos for a different basket / gallery?

1621544325183.png

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will she want the band flush? I don’t think this will accomplish that if so. He could raise the basket or streamline it more.
Very Pretty design. I love bezels. Gorgeous stone too! I’ll come back later. Just running out.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Will she want the band flush? I don’t think this will accomplish that if so. He could raise the basket or streamline it more.
Very Pretty design. I love bezels. Gorgeous stone too! I’ll come back later. Just running out.

She actually prefers a gap! Thanks so much for weighing in!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Fancy gallery means minimal gem exposure from the sides. The girdle is already being covered by the bezel so she sees the sapphire mostly from face up. I personally prefer more streamlined design so I get to enjoy the gem as much as possible. It’s easier to clean too, but you do you.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Fancy gallery means minimal gem exposure from the sides. The girdle is already being covered by the bezel so she sees the sapphire mostly from face up. I personally prefer more streamlined design so I get to enjoy the gem as much as possible. It’s easier to clean too, but you do you.

I think she’d actually prefer a more open gallery - do you have any suggestions? I’m having a hard time coming up with anything to suggest to her!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
How about just a simple swoopy gallery. Allows for some color to come through the profile and easy cleaning.
Example..
86F720BE-3759-4309-BA56-6DFA9A3E4642.jpeg

ETA holy large pic. Sorry.

So now that I’ve shown her some simpler galleries she likes the most is the more complex one on the CAD!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the second inspiration ring the best. She probably doesn't realize that an intricate gallery is going to make it hard to clean. I'd advise her to put it in jewelry cleaner daily when she takes it off.

The head definitely needs to be raised and have more of a doughnut under it. I think it is too low. The shoulders don't even look right as it is now.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I like the second inspiration ring the best. She probably doesn't realize that an intricate gallery is going to make it hard to clean. I'd advise her to put it in jewelry cleaner daily when she takes it off.

The head definitely needs to be raised and have more of a doughnut under it. I think it is too low. The shoulders don't even look right as it is now.

Yes I tried explain that cleaning will be a challenge...I will reemphasize. She's a low maintenance gal so not sure she quite realizes...

And I think 1mm should be enough of a bump? Definitely great point about the donut...

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer the inspiration photos where the outline of the kites is milgrained. Seems to make that shape more pronounced. Maybe consider milgrain on the bezel too?

It's all personal preference, but I must say I think the bezel might be making that setting look a little heavy. I like best the inspiration photos that are not bezeled.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes DK will add milgrain to the kites.

Bezel i know is mandatory for her, but i see what you are saying.

I wonder if a gallery like this might look nice...

1621565167604.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I tried explain that cleaning will be a challenge...I will reemphasize. She's a low maintenance gal so not sure she quite realizes...

And I think 1mm should be enough of a bump? Definitely great point about the donut...

I think more than 1mm doughnut. If she wants to wear a band, it will hit that gallery design and really mess it up. Gotta raise up the head. The head is sunk down into the shank.

The kites aren't attaching at the right place, either. They should attach just under the bezel. Look at inspiration picture #1. Well, that one has a halo. I need to look and see some bezel rings with that type shoulder to see where he has attached them.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think more than 1mm doughnut. If she wants to wear a band, it will hit that gallery design and really mess it up. Gotta raise up the head. The head is sunk down into the shank.

The kites aren't attaching at the right place, either. They should attach just under the bezel. Look at inspiration picture #1. Well, that one has a halo. I need to look and see some bezel rings with that type shoulder to see where he has attached them.

You are absolutely right! Thank you for catching that.

I have convinced her - we are searching for simpler galleries.

I found this one that could be cool with the kites, but maybe...more tapered with a donut

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 10.38.30 PM.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some DK galleries that can be adapted to her round. They also show where the shoulder petal attaches.

Screenshot (33).png Screenshot (34).png Screenshot (35).png

Similar design but larger stone:
Screenshot (36).png Screenshot (37).png

This last photo has kind of a messy doughnut, but it is high enough to allow a band without damaging the gallery of the e-ring.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Here are some DK galleries that can be adapted to her round. They also show where the shoulder petal attaches.

Screenshot (33).png Screenshot (34).png Screenshot (35).png

Similar design but larger stone:
Screenshot (36).png Screenshot (37).png

This last photo has kind of a messy doughnut, but it is high enough to allow a band without damaging the gallery of the e-ring.

I showed her that exact style of gallery and she didn’t care for it...the donuts / attachment are really helpful though

I am going to reshare to see if she likes it in a style closer to her ring!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I think she’d actually prefer a more open gallery - do you have any suggestions? I’m having a hard time coming up with anything to suggest to her!

More open design by DK
1621619515392.png

Even more open.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would raise the basket so that a wedding ring will sit nicely next to the e-ring and I would definitely keep the fancy basket to allow lots of light into the gem. What a lovely project! Congratulations to your sister.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Okay, we have an update!

So, she fell in love with this gallery on DKs instagram:

1621975441341.png

He made these adjustments...

1621975420043.png

• The bezel seems to thick in depth to me
1621975606812.png

But I can't see anything else...Anything that stands out?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask to see the cad side view without the wedding band?

so it’s not obscuring the view through the gallery.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ask to see the cad side view without the wedding band?

so it’s not obscuring the view through the gallery.

Will do! There is also a tri-wire shank (not sure if that is being read as the band sitting in front)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the bezel does look a bit chunky. If it can be thinned and the petals elongated more I think it will make a big difference.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Update! The wax is here!

She is going to size up a quarter size and said it feels a smidge high off her finger - but I said any lower and it’ll be squat! (She’s comparing it to a half carat diamond ring she has - it’s 2.2 carats! :rolleyes: So too bad because the stone is many times larger!) she just needs to get used to it. I think we are going off to casting!

0BB2FF0B-BAEF-465D-B34B-B19799112514.jpeg 4B7C1C14-0B50-4180-90A1-07F23907F6E6.jpeg D6EE37DA-8BC3-4D76-B2AE-ED9CBC5F4E7E.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I can't wait to see it. Triwire, milgrain, big old rock... :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results