shape
carat
color
clarity

Cabochon emerald project

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So I’ve started my next project. Design is in process.

I’m starting with the bracelet then will see how many stones are left over and will go on to the earrings

I bought this lot direct from a dealer in Pakistan. 65ct total - varying quality. 55ct + looks really nice - good colour and reasonable clarity. I have some ideas even for the heavily included stones. But the best are going into this. 8990C727-2EB8-44C9-86AB-3E95B0E68FEB.jpeg
1C698D42-FB6A-4C0B-AF8B-31096996EE6B.jpeg E36B3DE8-5548-4BC3-B549-D0B74825F974.jpeg
This is the design inspiration

9AA82499-5B9D-441A-9E8F-068A81F2DE47.jpeg

Attachments

• 2C99FC73-B8A8-4566-9511-B275C553CF62.jpeg
    2C99FC73-B8A8-4566-9511-B275C553CF62.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

gwcynthia

Rough_Rock
Really pretty!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm green with envy! :tongue:

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh, very interesting. How are cabochons held in place? Are the prongs so pointy they (almost) pierce the stone or is it more of a pressure/grip type arrangement?

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
OOHHH! How lovely! Can’t wait to see this come together

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun! Can’t wait to see!

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
wow that is going to be so stunning! love the inspiration!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool purchase and project!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That inspiration picture was exactly what I had mind after seeing your parcel and before I scrolled down. Not sure you need the diamonds. Again, like in my post a few minutes ago on your sapphire thread, I see Oscar Heyman bracelet in my head. Not that I have ever seen one in person but that online catalog... =)2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yummmmmmmy <3

But I swear if you don't come back & update us with pictures I might die!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o :kiss2:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Another beautiful project. Looking forward to seeing it when it is complete.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I do have a bit of an Oscar Heyman fetish. But I can’t afford his stuff so I have to cobble my own together on a budget LOL!

Ref the diamond, we obviously have similar taste. I asked the designer to scale back the diamonds so I can wear it during the day. Mine will be narrower too - 1.5cms wide.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So here is my CAD / design realised

A9E98E42-3F70-4A22-87C6-D6DC97CF1D74.jpeg

1.8ct of diamonds - 40 in all set in 18k yellow gold with the diamonds set in white gold. But I’m sweating a little bit at the price of getting this completed. Does USD 6,000 sound expensive for this work? I appreciate it’s a huge amount of detail and will take many man hours to complete.

This is the first project like this I’ve commissioned - usually it’s much simpler rings and pendants.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great to see the CAD as it means it is one step closer to completion!

I personally believe the price is a bit on the high side myself, when you are supplying all the emeralds yourself for the project.

However, considering the amount of gold involved, and the amount of diamonds and labour cost, perhaps it is fair.

I am not an expert, just personal opinion based on my own experience with custom work and all that.

Can't wait to see the finished piece!

DK :))

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
It does sound a bit high but when I think of the amount of stones that they will be setting, plus the price of the gold & diamonds, the price seems pretty fair.

Not too many pieces like this are ever made on PS either so we're all watching in excitement!

It's very ornate, and anything with that much work, I would expect to spend a good chunk of change on!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I suppose it’s because I will be using this quote as a benchmark for other comparably complicated projects going forward I want to ensure it’s reasonable. I will speak with the jewellers this week and see what we can agree on.

It would still come in under what I’d pay for a completed piece in a retail store. Which I suppose is the objective.

The design looks stunning and I’m sure it’s going to look wonderful! As for the price, I do think it’s a bit high but gold is insanely high these days.

Perhaps ask your jeweler for a cost breakdown - what is the cost for the melee, what is the amount of gold used in grams and the price (which you can compare to spot price) etc which will help you tease out what the labour cost is, specifically.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It's amazing, over-the-top, bold, courageous, confident! You have incredible taste. Since you already have a very clear design, if you are worried about the price it should not be difficult to get comparable quotes online. It also might help with negotiating with your local goldsmith.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.8ct of diamonds - 40 in all set in 18k yellow gold with the diamonds set in white gold. But I’m sweating a little bit at the price of getting this completed. Does USD 6,000 sound expensive for this work? I appreciate it’s a huge amount of detail and will take many man hours to complete.

I think it is sensational. I can't imagine you could get work of the quality you need for much less than that in the US. Poorly executed, it would be mediocre. But if it looks like that layout, it will be killer and look like a six-figure bracelet.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I agree you’re right. This jeweller isn’t cheap but they are exceptional. They do the local (GCC) repair and customisation work for Chopard. And I got an incredible deal on the emeralds because I bought direct from the swat mine in Pakistan. I do think it’s c. 20% overpriced though. Let’s see what they say when I go in.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like an amazing bench jeweler! May I ask if the dealer you sourced these from is online / you would not mind sharing the name? I loooove them.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Those cabs are wonderful. What a beautiful design. I wish you well in your project.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like an amazing bench jeweler! May I ask if the dealer you sourced these from is online / you would not mind sharing the name? I loooove them.

He is an IG seller but it’s hit or miss with him. I’ve bought some stones which have been exceptional quality and value and some others which were meh. I’m hesitant to recommend as I’m still waiting on a parcel of spess garnets I bought over a month ago and he hasn’t even shipped yet. If I get the garnets I will let you know.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
It is going to be outstanding. Hopefully you can get him down a tad.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So I went to the jeweller today to inspect the progress. It’s finally ready to start setting. I was very impressed with the flexibility and delicacy of the structure.

Now the interminable wait for the stones to be put in it. A few more weeks.

98BF6757-4D0E-4FD1-916E-BED79CD8B149.jpeg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It’s going to be amazing!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow those stones are gorgeous, that’s going to be one hell of a bracelet! I cannot wait to see it complete!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh! Bookmarked cos it’s going to look so good!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results