shape
carat
color
clarity

Cabbage!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I did just start a cabbage thread! :rodent: Haha! I've actually started a few vegetable threads over the years, so no real surprise here! :bigsmile:

So, I have some cabbage, fresh from the farm. I usually just cut into chunks, boil, then olive oil and season, which though good, is also boring. On occasion, my husband will throw some into a stir-fry.

Any much loved cabbage recipes you'd like to share? Thanks! :wavey:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I love cabbage! Raw cabbage! It's part of every salad I make. I never boil. I just wash thoroughly, peel off the top layers, and then cut into 1 inch long pieces (about .5 cm thickness). I then add olive oil, lemon, and salt. It tastes great!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
We do cabbage rolls, where you par boil the cabbage. Combine raw hamburger and cooked rice, salt & pepper. Stuff the cabbage leaves with the hamburger mixture and roll into little packages. Then mix up tomato soup(I use 1/4 to half the water it says). Put the cabbage packages into a baking dish, cover with soup then foil and cook. Cook about an hour at 350.

I also use cabbage in boiled dinner.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Okonimiyaki! :lickout:
My favorite way to eat cabbage. It's like a highly seasoned Japanese cabbage latke wilth thinly sliced pork. It sounds odd, but it's really quite good.

I usually make mine with a mix (There are several different brands out there)http://importfood.com/rtok4301.html
Start with a mix if you've never had it before. (use thinly sliced pork, not bacon - In Japan they use the same cut of pork as bacon, but it's not smoked or cured - people who don't eat pork can omit it - okonomiyaki is still good without pork) If you're ambitiuos you can make it from scratch :http://www.justhungry.com/okonomiyaki-osaka-style.

It's often refered to as "Japanese Pizza" which just gives false expectations - It's just not that kind of flavour, It is unique.

Hmmm.... I know what I'm having for dinner :bigsmile:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is Ina Garten's recipe for Sauteed Cabbage. It is so tasty! I usually brown the butter just a bit before throwing in the cabbage, just for a tiny bit more flavor, but you would have to like it a bit more nutty.

Ingredients
1 small head white cabbage, including outer green leaves (2 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Cut the cabbage in half and, with the cut-side down, slice it as thinly as possible around the core, as though you were making coleslaw. Discard the core.

Melt the butter in a large saute pan or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and begins to brown. Season, to taste, and serve warm.

We also do cabbage on the grill. To do that, we cut the heads into 4ths or 8ths, depending on the size of the cabbage, put them into foil packets with butter and salt and pepper, and grill for about 20 mins or to your liking.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I love this! I used to think I disliked cabbage but lately I've been really into it for some reason. It's actually so yummy, I don't know why it has such a bad rep. Anyway, I like to make moo shu vegetable with red and green cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, and tofu. I recently made this: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2008/11/05/sauteed-cabbage-and-kielbasa/ with the smoked turkey andouille sausage from Whole Foods and it was delicious. I've got a lot of cabbage left over so I'm planning to make this sometime this weekend: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2010/02/10/cabbage-cauliflower-and-potato-chowder/. I also like shredded raw cabbage on tacos, it gives such a nice crunch.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
We love cabbage!

Fat Cabbage Rolls

filling
12 leaves cabbage, steamed
1 cup cooked white rice
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup dried chopped onion
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 ts galirc powder
1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
sauce
1 15oz can tomato sauce
2 Tb brown sugar
2 Tb lemon juice
2 ts Worcestershire sauce

In a medium bowl, mix all filling ingredients. Use 1/4 C to fill each cabbage leaf, roll up, tuck ends and place rolls seam side down in a large pyrex pan.
Mix sauce ingredients in a small bowl, pour over rolls, cover with foil and bake at 350F for an hour.

Bread Rolls from English Cookery:
Take lower part of cabbage, turn leaves over and roll 4oz bread dough against the veins to patern the dough. Place 'bundles' seam side down on parchment paper. Bake at 375F for whatever the recipe calls for, cabbage will be dark brown. Peel and cool bread on racks to cool. Gorgeous Cabbage rolls!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like cabbage, my Mom use to kinda of stir fry in butter and then add water and sugar and then cover it and cook till soft, I use to love that and I still make today, except I use Splenda :wink2:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My grandmother made the best cole slaw. She shaved raw cabbage very thin, then mixed in lemon juice, salt & pepper, a little olive oil, and celery seed. Heaven, especially on a hot day!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let's see if I can put something I do by heart into words.

I call it 'unstuffed cabbage' because while we ADORE stuffed cabbage leaves they are a pain.

So I take two large onions and brown them in canola oil. Then I add the cabbage with a nice amount of salt and pepper to taste. And saute until starting to soften. I set this aside. I also boil one cup of basmati rice in 2 cups water with some salt then drain when they are al dente and long and set aside. And re-use the pan. Another onion until golden then add a pound of ground beef. Brown the meat add a in turmeric and cinnamon and chopped green onion and a TON of chopped fresh tarragon. Sautee and throw in the rice. Add one large can of tomato sauce and add the cabbage and the juice of one lemon. Simmmer whole thing until rice is done and the cabbage is soft. I finish with a hit of saffron (but you can omit this). And serve with crusty bread.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
This is not a very interesting recipe, but delicious nonetheless!

Quarter and steam cabbage
Top with soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos

MMMMMMM MMMMMMM good!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love cabbage, cheap and healthy!!!
90% of the meals I eat have a serving of brown rice and microwaved fresh cabbage, kale or broccoli with a dash of soy sauce.

Also nice is that cabbage keeps a long time in the fridge.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
We eat cabbage often, DH makes this pasta dish with buckwheat pizzoccheri pasta but any long shape works.

Pizzoccheri 

2 Russet potatoes, diced 
1 lb buckwheat pizzoccheri
1 small head Savoy cabbage, shredded  
2-3 Tb olive oil 
1 medium onion, thinly sliced 
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced  
pinch red pepper flakes 
salt & black pepper to taste 
1 C chicken or vegetable stock 
4 Tb unsalted butter 
10-12 fresh sage leaves 
1/2 C grated Parmigiano Reggiano 

Bring a large pot of  salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook 8 minutes.  
While the potatoes and pasta are cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper flakes and cabbage, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.  
Stir in the vegetable stock and simmer 5 minutes. 
In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add sage leaves and cook until crisp. 
Toss drained pasta and potatoes with the cabbage mixture. If pasta seems too dry to toss, ladle in a bit of pasta water.
Add sage butter and cheese, toss well and serve.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like cabbage but I've only had in it cole slaw I think. I'd love to try some of these recipes. Are there any tips for first-time cabbage buyers and cookers?

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
My parents used to make runzas, they are YUMMY! It's basically ground beef, thinly sliced cabbage/carrots/onions cooked together then wrapped in a thin dough and baked until golden. Simple and yummy. We used biscuits as the dough, they made for even sizes.

I also like a Kielbasa soup with cabbage and kale. Brown the kielbasa in your stock pot with onions and garlic (whatever amount you like), then add broth (whatever kind you like) then a good amount of equal parts cabbage and kale and stew 'em together. If you like your cabbage soft or crispy depends on how long you stew it. (If you can't tell, I just throw stuff together LOL)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1318161951|3036399 said:
I like cabbage but I've only had in it cole slaw I think. I'd love to try some of these recipes. Are there any tips for first-time cabbage buyers and cookers?

Zoe, there are a few common types of cabbage -- green, red, savoy, and napa. I don't use green very much, I think it has the sharpest taste. Red seems a little sweeter to me, and I like it in salads or stir-fried. Savoy is usually considered the best for cooking, it looks like green cabbage but the leaves are crinkly instead of smooth and the taste is milder. I use it for most everything, and it's particularly good in soups or sauteed. Napa is good for stir-frying, it looks sort of like a cross between bok choy and cabbage (longer than it is wide, with looser leaves than the head-type cabbages). Hope that helps!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Octavia! Now that I think about it, I've had purple cabbage in salads and bok choy in plenty of dishes.

I'll have to branch out and try these recipes.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1318199117|3036714 said:
Thanks so much, Octavia! Now that I think about it, I've had purple cabbage in salads and bok choy in plenty of dishes.

I'll have to branch out and try these recipes.

Yep, it's surprising how many vegetables we eat are in the mustard/cabbage family. Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower, collard greens and kale, bok choy, turnips and rutabegas, and kohlrabi are all various species from the brassica genus. Most of them just take a touch of creativity and they're so, so good for you!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
KIELBASA WITH CABBAGE

My kids' favorite thing for dinner, and so easy for mommy!

Take half a cabbage, and a polish kielbasa (I use turkey)
slice the kielbasa into angled discs and place all over and around the halved cabbage
Steam the whole thing until cabbage leaves are soft.
Use cabbage leaves to wrap the kielbasa (like tacos) and dip with teriyaki sauce or Asian hot sauce. Eat with rice!

This meal takes me literally 5 minutes to prep.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results