shape
carat
color
clarity

CA Wildfires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
In case anyone was wondering, I''m still here. My wife and I have been lucky in that our area has been largely spared, but I live next to an undeveloped canyon that would go up like a box of matches if it got lit somehow. So I''m not feeling complacent. My company has not been lucky--we were told to stay home today and now again tomorrow because the place I work is in the thick of it right now and they have been asked by the local authorities to keep people off the roads if possible. It''s unlikely that the building would catch fire--it''s not in a vulnerable area--but I strongly suspect that some of my co-workers may have been among those whose homes burned...
sad.gif

Even without that to worry about, the last three days have been like scene out of hell. The sky has been blotted out by smoke since it started, with ash and cinders raining down everywhere. The sun appears now and then, but it''s blood-red through the smoke. The smell is impossible to escape, even indoors. /idealbb/images/smilies/14.gif

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
I've been stunned at some of the footage I've seen. Good luck and stay safe.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Lawgem, I didn't realize you were so close to the fires. Be careful!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Stay safe Lawgem. I'm praying that this passes sooner rather than later.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
It's surreal to watch. I can not imagine living it. Thoughts out your way!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
LawBen, my prayers go out for your safety and those others endangered in your area.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't watch television, although we own two TV sets from "before". I didn't realize, somehow, that the fires would be shown on TV. I have been reading about them in the newspapers. I found it terrifying that most of the people who have been killed were in cars trying to outrun the fires! It sounds insane to stay anywhere near them.

Like everyone else, I wish you, your family, and your neighbors well, LawGem.

Deborah

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
G-d granting it will all be over soon in the best possible way. Wear a mask - protect your lungs!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Horrible.
sad.gif
Stay safe everyone in that area....

It's been very warm here in N. CA...days and evenings are unseasonably warm for late October, about 90 during the day. Wonder if the winds blowing over from South have something to do with that.

ThatKoreanGuy

Rough_Rock
we should all do a rain dance =D

"imagine if it rained within' a week of this thread, how creepy that would be..."

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
The arsonist(s) who started the fires should be tried for murder and be given the harshest sentence possible.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-hunters29oct29,1,7068779.story

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
How horrible for the guy who was lost who started one of the fires with his flare. He was delirious and dehydrated when they found him, he obviously was not in his right mind...just didn't want to die out there. He had no idea how close they were to finding him. Now that he is pinpointed as starting one of the fires, it will be tough to be him
sad.gif
(kind of like that guy who tried to catch the ball at the world series)....

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I'm in San Diego, and the last few days have been pretty surreal. Saturday night everything was fine, then Sunday morning we woke up and looked outside and the sky was orange and gray. We watched the news all day, and in early afternoon they started reporting fires and evacuations in two neighborhoods that are about 6-8 miles north of our home. We packed ours cars with clothing, my jewelry (of course), some irreplaceable items from our grandparents, water, etc., just in case the call came to evacuate. It was so hard to walk through the house and try to pick what items to take. We were very lucky that the fire never came close enough to force us to leave, but I cannot imagine the anguish of those who have lost everything they owned -- there are so many things that simply cannot be replaced by insurance. A few of the people in my office lost their homes and are looking for places to live until they can re-build. Of course, the loss of lives is even more tragic -- we still do not have many details on the deaths that have been reported, but a few of them were people who waited too long to evacuate.

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Glad to hear everyone else is well. We were evacuated on Saturday evening. The fire was so close we could feel the heat burning our cheeks. It was the most surreal thing I have ever experienced in my life. We are lucky no damage to our home which is a miracle since we are surrounded by huge eucalyptus trees. I just hope they catch the person that did each and every one of these. The devestation is unreal.

Attached is a picture from the top of our street.

17.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lawgem:

Thank you for letting us know that you are OK. Our 2 sons are in school in LA and they have been telling us that the smell of smoke has been reaching them too and that the sky is smoggy. I am really concerned about all of you out there breathing in all that bad air.

Take Care,

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Dear Ben and Lesley;

PLEASE stay safe! I really hope things get better asap. We're having hard rain here in Italy... I hope you'll have it too verrry soon. In the mean time, stay safe, and if you have spare time, stay with us on pricescope!
9.gif
wavey.gif

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
That picture is frightening - even more so when it was taken by someone I "know". I'm glad your house was spared. Take care.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
That picture left me wondering exactly which circle of hell it was taken on. I feel so badly for all of the people and animals who've been injured or killed.
sad.gif

XvvOrlyBearvvX

Rough_Rock
Awww I just heard a firfighter died....That is so sad I feel terrible. I hope this fire diminishes soon...Wow diminish a big word for me...ha ha ha just kidding
twirl.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
There are 16 confirmed deaths in San Diego now:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/toll.html

The good news is that raindrops started hitting my office window a few minutes ago. I hope we get a real downpour that will put out the remaining fires.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I hope the rain helps. I understand about the guy w/ the flair -poor judgement. But, I can not fathom who would purposely set these fires. Those people should be burned at the stake.

Stupid question - Do diamonds burn?

XvvOrlyBearvvX

Rough_Rock
Yeah....well they can melt so I assume if they can melt they can burn right???
confused.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 10/30/2003 5:25:11 PM fire&ice wrote:

Stupid question - Do diamonds burn?
----------------

Well, it's not entirely a stupid question

2.gif
... but... diamonds are crystallized carbon. In other words, think charcoal.

Diamonds will simply turn to carbon dioxide if heated sufficiently.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with everything Law gem and the rest of you down south. I heard about the fire fighter too, it's so sad. And judt imagine all the wild animals that are dying out there
15.gif

ThatKoreanGuy

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 10/29/2003 3:49:16 AM ThatKoreanGuy wrote:

we should all do a rain dance =D

'imagine if it rained within' a week of this thread, how creepy that would be...'

----------------

OMG

Fog, drizzle help California firefighters

*cough* creepy *cough* that was within like....1 day. creeeeeeepy.

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
WOW,,,what a diffrence a week makes. Last Friday it was 102+,,,fire raging down the hill towards us. Now this Friday, it is barely 52 here and those same charred mountains have SNOW on them! Yes I said SNOW,,,,,can you believe it? I will take some pictures and post so you can see the before(fire) and the after(snow) shots. It is so funny. Thank goodness for it though!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah it's gotten really cold in the Bayarea as well now too. Okay "really cold" is every other state's spring for us...but its cold compared to it being 90 last weekend.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results